Who Needs Another Clip of a Wizard? Probably No One, Ha!

I am liking the CB65 alot with mine. GB’s are good in the room but don’t like how they record.
Your first clip sounds good. Second is good, alittle too much fuzziness for me.

Yeah, went back to the Greenback and am getting pretty good results.

Will try a GT75 next. Another speaker I don't really like but with some work it can sound decent.
Can't wait to hear the clips. The amp sounds so good speakers are what I would go broke experimenting with cause you always have the GB's to fall back on in case of a tone emergency. I'd have to try it with some D or K series JBL's even if I Had to borrow a couple to get it done. I don't think you are going to get any truly "bad" results with an amp like that.

I’d say with el34s , I find wizards with el34s by far the most agressive with the intense razor sharp highs that I found missing on other tubes wizards .it was missing big time
Have you tried a KT88 Wizard? It doesn’t translate exactly the same way you might expect normally with those tubes (which I usually don’t care for). I didn’t actually prefer the highs on the EL34 MTL or MC I had and in either case if aggressive highs were my priority I would choose one of my Herm recs, especially the triple 2ch

The question also was which is heaviest, which is not the same question as which is most aggressive or razor sharp. The extra low end thump and horsepower of a KT88 plus its transformers design around it result in a heavier sound. Some other amps I have are debatably heavier anyway if that’s the main criteria, but it’s I think about as heavy as one can get for a Wizard (maybe more so with the KT200 version). It sounds like heaviness maybe isn’t the number 1 thing you’re looking for with it. We all have our own uses with these amps. For me I like to play most to an amp’s inherent strengths over other amps. For the wizards I feel that is clarity/defitnion, punch and openness and KT88’s and 6550’s will have that over 34’s. I would though get a 50w 34 HR for something different if I can sell enough stuff. I do also love the EL34 growl and uppermids as much as anyone, although wizards don’t IME really get that as well as Marshall’s any even with them

Perhaps the op wanted the more aggressive or sharp option, but most gearheads are way too imprecise with how they articulate things

Last edited:
Have you tried a KT88 Wizard? It doesn’t translate exactly the same way you might expect normally with those tubes (which I usually don’t care for). I didn’t actually prefer the highs on the EL34 MTL or MC I had and in either case if aggressive highs were my priority I would choose one of my Herm recs, especially the triple 2ch

The question also was which is heaviest, which is not the same question as which is most aggressive or razor sharp. The extra low end thump and horsepower of a KT88 plus its transformers design around it result in a heavier sound. Some other amps I have are debatably heavier anyway if that’s the main criteria, but it’s I think about as heavy as one can get for a Wizard (maybe more so with the KT200 version). It sounds like heaviness maybe isn’t the number 1 thing you’re looking for with it. We all have our own uses with these amps. For me I like to play most to an amp’s inherent strengths over other amps. For the wizards I feel that is clarity/defitnion, punch and openness and KT88’s and 6550’s will have that over 34’s. I would though get a 50w 34 HR for something different if I can sell enough stuff. I do also love the EL34 growl and uppermids as much as anyone, although wizards don’t IME really get that as well as Marshall’s any even with them
I know we did agree about this but it makes for good discussion. I just really feel strongly about Rick with el34s . It’s super great with kt88s and bigger bottom maybe but Rick’s wizards with el34s have more than most anyone . But ya we even opposites on Hermansons too and that’s ok .

I know we did agree about this but it makes for good discussion. I just really feel strongly about Rick with el34s . It’s super great with kt88s and bigger bottom maybe but Rick’s wizards with el34s have more than most anyone . But ya we even opposites on Hermansons too and that’s ok .
Does Rick still use the different model transformers?

Can't wait to hear the clips. The amp sounds so good speakers are what I would go broke experimenting with cause you always have the GB's to fall back on in case of a tone emergency. I'd have to try it with some D or K series JBL's even if I Had to borrow a couple to get it done. I don't think you are going to get any truly "bad" results with an amp like that.
Quick clip with the 1988 GT75.

Back