Why does new music have to be so different?

The guitar tone reminded me of someone who grew up listening to their dad's polyphia cassettes. Yuck. Somebody get that kid a wizard or something. The other girl is a good singer with a really nice but kind of common 21st century girl singer vocal tone. I made it about halfway. I'm kind of indifferent to it but it's pretty clear they are talented women.

They have some talent, but as much of the newer stuff and newer sub genres...it just doesn't have the groove that moves...

The kids are growing up on animals as leaders and periphery. They copy their idols just as we do . But they do forget 2 things : simple melodies are a must. And their needs be arts where they feel loose . Even Yngwie understands this of all people .

Not too bad. It's not something I'm going to actively listen to, but if it happens to be playing I'm not shoulder checking grandma into the wall rushing to turn it off.

Not my thing but those two in the vid look like they could be 18-20 years old and all I can think when I see stuff like this is “When I was that age I had a Fostex 4-track and Napster was just starting”, while these people are writing full tunes, living in entirely different zip codes and ending up with something tangible that sounds infinititely better than what I could have done on a 4-track.

There amount of potential that’s contained in all that is pretty staggering. We used to be stuck trying to make music with whoever we could find locally and this generation doesn’t even have to consider that as an option, they can make music with people all over the world and I look forward to seeing what shakes out of that.

That band was a decade ago and that is kids doing a cover of one of their song. They changed their name like 5 years ago to something else. I can't remember. It was a while ago.

Googled it.

Destiny Potato became Sordid Pink in 2017 when the chick left the band. I was pretty close.

When I was that age I had a Fostex 4-track and Napster was just starting
At least you had a 4-track. I had to make due with this thing...

1713266916403.png

“When I was that age I had a Fostex 4-track and Napster was just starting”,
Once I moved up from improvised tape deck with stereo 1/4" inputs using mic/line adapters and cheap mic for recording I became a Tascam abuser. But I learned a lot about recording techniques, bouncing tracks, mic'ing, etc. It all adds up as experience for later on and worth the time spent IMO. I wish I had all the internet lessons and tools available to kids nowadays. We had nothing. It was ten years before I even figured out cross channeling a Marshall, that kinda helped things. Couldn't afford tab books and when I could, I couldn't find the tab books I wanted. Expensive special order CD's....so many more advantages to someone starting out now.

Once I moved up from improvised tape deck with stereo 1/4" inputs using mic/line adapters and cheap mic for recording I became a Tascam abuser. But I learned a lot about recording techniques, bouncing tracks, mic'ing, etc. It all adds up as experience for later on and worth the time spent IMO. I wish I had all the internet lessons and tools available to kids nowadays. We had nothing. It was ten years before I even figured out cross channeling a Marshall, that kinda helped things. Couldn't afford tab books and when I could, I couldn't find the tab books I wanted. Expensive special order CD's....so many more advantages to someone starting out now.

Probably half of what I do in a DAW now comes from those early Tascam/Fostex days, overdubs, learning how different guitar tones mix together and most important (for me anyway), full takes from start to finish. That said, I’m not sure how much faster/better off I’d be if I started out now, sometimes half my battle is letting go of “this is the way it used to be done and my head says it should still be that way” stuff.

Back