Worth getting a Wizard MCII KT-150?

CEG85

Wanted to check in with some Wizard owners if it’s worth grabbing a KT-150.
I bought an MC II not too long ago and it blew me away.
Thinking if the KT88 MKII version would be different enough for me to add to the arsenal. Thanks in advance

I own both a MCII el34 and a MCII Kt75 with kt88’s. The difference is enough for me to justify owning both. The KT75 model is a little more scooped in the mids but brighter and tighter in sound and feel and response with a little more perceived low end. Sounds more aggressive as well. The MC II with el34’s has more a mid push and more of an elastic feel of sorts. It’s definitely wider in the mids but still tight. Both will still retain that signature punch you through the speakers feel,

The KT150 MK2 will be rounder in the low end attack, the mid voicing is slightly different (tad less attack in upper mids, slightly more pronounced low mid emphasis), and it will have more girth, but only when wound up to high volume. I find the MCII E34L 100w more aggressive. Aside from that, there the same basically.

Thanks guys, much appreciated.
Any thoughts on the MTL compared to the MCII?
That would be another route I’d want to look into.

The guys above know their stuff. The kt will be bigger, but rounder and less aggressive mids. Round and smooth come to mind in comparison.

The MTL is still aggressive like the MC but it’s got a lower mid emphasis and not the upper mids of the MC. Aggressive but the eq is less hyped and more neutral in a way.

The KT150 MK2 will be rounder in the low end attack, the mid voicing is slightly different (tad less attack in upper mids, slightly more pronounced low mid emphasis), and it will have more girth, but only when wound up to high volume. I find the MCII E34L 100w more aggressive. Aside from that, there the same basically.
I will say if you want agressive on ANY Wizard just get el34s. All ricks work is special but with el34s it’s still best. So I definitely agree

I will say if you want agressive on ANY Wizard just get el34s. All ricks work is special but with el34s it’s still best. So I definitely agree
I used to think so too with the MC EL34 and MTL EL34 I had until trying the Hell Razor KT150 that smoked both. I’ve mostly been a die hard el34 guy in high gain amps, but sometimes here and there some tubes translate differently in some amps than you might expect

I used to think so too with the MC EL34 and MTL EL34 I had until trying the Hell Razor KT150 that smoked both. I’ve mostly been a die hard el34 guy in high gain amps, but sometimes here and there some tubes translate differently in some amps than you might expect
I'm sure it's more the entire circuit design as opposed to EL34 vs KT88, etc. I didn't notice much difference with the KT150 when I experimented between KT88, 6550, KT90, slight differences, but nothing significant. I thought there was when I swapped, but I think the human memory in regards to tone/music just isn't very accurate. When I decided to spend time popping them in/out back/forth in direct A/Bing, I noticed very minor difference. I think its more the circuit design of the amp.

I just didn’t like his amos as much ever with any other tubes . I learned my lesson spending so much and not being as happy . But I must say they ALL are amazing af . No matter the tube .and I must add I’m not a fan of el34 tubes . Just like ricks work best with them always

If you are thinking about buying the one that is for sale now used , that’s my old amp. It’s a monster of an amp. It’s a bit unique though , prob not exactly what I was expecting. If you want very aggressive and pissed off voicing with a tight and sharp attack that is not the amp to get. If you want an enormous wall of sound that has a more bouncy response its great for that.

I just didn’t like his amos as much ever with any other tubes . I learned my lesson spending so much and not being as happy . But I must say they ALL are amazing af . No matter the tube .and I must add I’m not a fan of el34 tubes . Just like ricks work best with them always
All I can say is I had a MTL EL34 100w and MC EL34 100w and the Hell Razor KT150 I tried was way more impressive (imho not even close). I don’t miss anything about those amps vs it. It didn’t seem rounder or less aggressive in the uppermids or mids or highs vs those amps, if anything could be dialed in to better in those areas with it’s different style gain controls. The biggest difference though was how much more powerful and punchy it was. I’m guessing that’s likely the transformers designed around the KT88’s and higher plate voltage, but who knows. It just is different than what one might expect it to be given the KT88’s IME

If it says anything, I sold my MTL EL34 because I felt the Hermansson Carlsbro I had slightly outdid my MTL at its own game (was very different than other Hermansson’s. Not compressed or clanky like his typical stuff), but I brought that amp to guy with the HR KT150 expecting to not need the HR, but to my surprise it made the Carlsbro Hermansson sound small and just not that great in comparison, but my Hermansson Recto Rev G still in its own way was similarly impressive to me vs it

Last edited:
If you are thinking about buying the one that is for sale now used , that’s my old amp. It’s a monster of an amp. It’s a bit unique though , prob not exactly what I was expecting. If you want very aggressive and pissed off voicing with a tight and sharp attack that is not the amp to get. If you want an enormous wall of sound that has a more bouncy response it’s great for that.
Yeah the descriptions guys tend to give about Wizards also gave me a different expectation than how they really sound. The Hell Razor KT150 I tired was tighter and more aggressive than the MTL EL34 and MC EL34 I had, but they still all have some roundness to the attack and that smooth, more neutral midrange that doesn’t really growl or get as aggressive in that frequency range. The HR KT150 was way bigger than the MTL and MC 34’s I had

I'm sure it's more the entire circuit design as opposed to EL34 vs KT88, etc. I didn't notice much difference with the KT150 when I experimented between KT88, 6550, KT90, slight differences, but nothing significant. I thought there was when I swapped, but I think the human memory in regards to tone/music just isn't very accurate. When I decided to spend time popping them in/out back/forth in direct A/Bing, I noticed very minor difference. I think it’s more the circuit design of the amp.
I don’t know, but my guess would be a lot of the differences I was hearing was probably from the higher plate voltage and transformer designed around the KT88’s. The MTL and MC EL34’s didn’t sound anywhere near as big or powerful. I had it next to a Megalith Beta, and while that amp still had bigger lows (especially sublows), the HR KT150 seemed bigger and better to me everywhere else. The voicing itself though I’m guessing is probably just how the HR is vs MTL’s and MC’s. It seemed tighter, less round (but still some of that Wizard roundness to the attack was there), more modern, more gain on tap and a much larger variety of sounds that could be dialed in with the way those 2 gain controls worked with shaping lower and higher frequencies

I haven’t had yet a KT88 Wizard to try swaps yet, but at least in a few amps I have currently I hear clear character differences between my various KT88’s/120’s/90’s and 6550’s. It doesn’t make it into a new sound or amp or anything, but enough of a difference where I have my clear preferences depending on the amp. I really like the vintage US 6550’s and the GEC TT21’s are the kings for me of big boy tubes

Last edited:
If you are thinking about buying the one that is for sale now used , that’s my old amp. It’s a monster of an amp. It’s a bit unique though , prob not exactly what I was expecting. If you want very aggressive and pissed off voicing with a tight and sharp attack that is not the amp to get. If you want an enormous wall of sound that has a more bouncy response its great for that.
Yep. I kept trying different pedals in the KT150 to get that sharper, faster low end and midrange attack that I prefer in the E34L MCII 100w model but it just wouldn't go there. It's not worlds apart, but enough I sold it and went back to the 100w E34L MCII which when boosted it extremely tight and fast tracking with great attack even on the low notes.

Yep. I kept trying different pedals in the KT150 to get that sharper, faster low end and midrange attack that I prefer in the E34L MCII 100w model but it just wouldn't go there. It's not worlds apart, but enough I sold it and went back to the 100w E34L MCII which when boosted it extremely tight and fast tracking with great attack even on the low notes.
When compared to the 2 Hermansson’s I brought over (the best amps I’ve had for tightness and sharp attack hands down) the HR KT150 was a lot more competitive in that department than the MTL and MC I had and I didn’t even try a boost with it, but Herm’s are still in their own league for tightness, sharp attack and high end aggression/sizzle if that’s what one especially wants imo. My HR KT150 just arrived and will open it up tonight

When compared to the 2 Hermansson’s I brought over (the best amps I’ve had for tightness and sharp attack hands down) the HR KT150 was a lot more competitive in that department than the MTL and MC I had and I didn’t even try a boost with it, but Herm’s are still in their own league for tightness, sharp attack and high end aggression/sizzle if that’s what one especially wants imo. My HR KT150 just arrived and will open it up tonight
Yeah, I can see those Herms being maybe too tight for me possibly? The Hellion I just got it definitely tighter with more attack than any Wizard I've owned, but their is a warmth or organic quality mixed with the tightness that the MCII has when boosted that no other amp I've owned exhibits. It's just like the name implies...Modern Classic. Not too tight, not too metallic sounding, no overly modern clank that some amps have.

I own a KT150 HR, a Hellion, and owned a MCII MK2 KT150. and The Kt150 is definitely the move for wizards- tighter, punchier, and more cutting than the non KT150 ones I've tried- both were tighter than even the Hellion- Particularly the HR, but even the MCII had cutting mids- Im not sure what some other people have experienced, but IMO KT150 Wizards are the best ones.

I own a KT150 HR, a Hellion, and owned a MCII MK2 KT150. and The Kt150 is definitely the move for wizards- tighter, punchier, and more cutting than the non KT150 ones I've tried- both were tighter than even the Hellion- Particularly the HR, but even the MCII had cutting mids- Im not sure what some other people have experienced, but IMO KT150 Wizards are the best ones.
Interesting, my experience is opposite. I've had eleven non KT150 Wizards and one KT150 MCII MK2 and every non KT150 Wizard has been tighter, faster tracking, sharper attack. The Hellion I have is tighter and sharper than any Wizard I've owned. Show's how all our perceptions of these things differ.

Back