Yba-1 diy'ers: caps?

GlideOn

Have 67 or 68' Yba-1. Love it.

Changed out some things:

1M volume pots.

47uf cathode bypass cap @50v, Xicon brand

.022 tonestack change

.1 to .022 presence control (done by accident but removed lots of fizz and retained some usability)

50k neg feedback loop

22k 2w between screens & PI

22k 2w between PI and preamp filter

The amp sound greats at the moment, but the time has come to change out the caps. I mainly mean the filter caps.

The amps sounds great but is a little dull and amplifies the crap out of the lowend still. I think it still believes it is a bass amp...that will change in due time.

(if any of you guys have a suggestion on how to change the frequency response in the preamp section, lemme know )

I happen to have the model that has the twin Mallory 40uf sitting above the inputs and that is kinda an ugly spot for them. I also have that huge "dynamite stick" brown Mallory cap inside the chassis that takes up a lot of room and ground right next to the power switch. Would like to try to improve a bit on the placement and design of the caps and yes - I will need to remove those twin Mallorys soldered onto the chassis. Ugly, but no way in hell am I gonna leave there for historical value. They're old and farty. They need to go.

Anywho, I wanted to arrange the new filter cap(s) in such a way that would allow me to make use (and room!) of future mods such as Master Volume, better grounding for gain mod, transfidelity mod, 2 channel mod - who knows. I do know that this this is a pandora's box of possibility...

I already have some F&T combo caps cans:

X1 F&T 100/100uf @ 500v

X1 F&T 50/50uf @ 500v

X1 F&T 32/32uf @ 500v

Obviously I'm not going to work with all of them but I got options on which ones to use.

Here's the real estate I'm working with:

5955328797_338a652336_b.jpg

Notice the space next to the power tubes. That's a circular cutout for a potential rectifier tube but I also see it as a potential slot for a multi-cap to go in.

I can always use the F&T's for later projects, but if I can get one of these:

PRIIcapcanbyCE.jpg

http://www.tubedepot.com/cp-ce-80-40-30-20-525v.html

It would fit perfectly and would bring the power filtering into a much better location and have a better chance of altering the gain stages next to an otherwise sensitive location in the amp. In other words I would have less chance of developing and parasitic oscillation problems due to changing the gain.

Opinions?

I have a YBA-1A I had Jerry dyer switch to KT88 and put a jose and larmar masters and jump channels and tweak. Sounds great! Change the vol pots to 1meg and change bright cap to? I forget but those two things made a big difference.

I just modded one of those a few weeks back and I installed the newer style cap cans and replaced all the the rest with F&T caps. It turned out sweet and the F&T caps are less expensive than the older style ones pictured above. I just drilled 2 small holes and installed the clamps...looked very clean.

Back