Youtube guitarists asking for cash via patreon, opinions??

Wizard of Ozz":2xy8fzt9 said:
mooncobra":2xy8fzt9 said:
That mad German dude, eytchpi42, constantly brags about all the free gear he gets, says he wont demo gear unless the companies pay him for his demos amd give him the gear(which usually suck unless he has someone like martin miller doing the demo), and has a patreon asking for money, and a go fund me sometimes like when he left his camera on the ground at musikmesse, of course someone took it, so a go fund me was set up so he could get money for a new camera. This guy has a wall of cool amps, says he got most free from companies, lives in a nice place, and is asking for money??

here is a video by him: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1-slY-pVuc&t=1s - looks like he is doing good to me.

I can not stand that guy at all. He's obnoxious and annoying as hell. I'd give him money to shut up and stay off of youtube. His jokes are almost as lame as his gear demos. Every time I see his face I think of:

Wimpy.jpg

Heard that. German dude = Annoying, obnoxious fuckhead. His demos usually sound like shit, too.

And, FWIW, Martin Miller is probably the most complete guitar player I have seen, in quite some time. The tastiest of blues, the jazziest of jazz, the shreddiest of shred, country, you name it. And he doesn't just dabble in different genres, he's a master at them. Not since Gary Moore, has somebody of this caliber come along. Sure, Guthrie can do it, but he's too spastic. Martin is just a precision, well-oiled machine of a guitar player. One of the best on the planet, if you ask me. And for those who only know Gary Moore's blues, his older stuff had jazz fusion, classical, spanish, hard rock, and metal influences. He was a true, complete guitar player, much like Martin is today.

Sorry. Got off topic a bit.

maddnotez":35k99zvd said:
JerEvil":35k99zvd said:
Man as a guy who does demos, I am on the fence about this. I don't sell my presets and I don't charge for any of my stuff. I know guys that do. I know guys that "gofundme" albums and recordings. I dunno. It's not for me but I ain't mad at anyone getting their hustle on.

I also don't get free amps! LOL! If people feel inclined to donate to a YouTuber or whatever, that's their prerogative. I know for sure I will monetize my vids once I hit 1K subs but that is YouTube paying me to allow commercials or some such thing. Outright asking my viewers for money just feels weird.

I personally would do what others have said and buy cd's, etc but I am not funding anyones day gig. I have a square job and that pays my bills. Some could argue that the transfer of knowledge is a commodity but I will leave that up to others. If I ever hit the point where I was actually getting compensated, then no WAY would I patreon or anything else like that.

:rock:

Almost at that 1k mark man, you will have it soon. Your demos are awesome and you have helped me quite a bit over the years. Between that and the humble attitude that you have you would definitely be the type of person I would donate to vs. someone just straight up asking for money.
Hey thanks man! For the most part, I am generally just glad that any info or "how to" I put out is actually of benefit to someone.

JerEvil":2evn8osu said:
maddnotez":2evn8osu said:
JerEvil":2evn8osu said:
Man as a guy who does demos, I am on the fence about this. I don't sell my presets and I don't charge for any of my stuff. I know guys that do. I know guys that "gofundme" albums and recordings. I dunno. It's not for me but I ain't mad at anyone getting their hustle on.

I also don't get free amps! LOL! If people feel inclined to donate to a YouTuber or whatever, that's their prerogative. I know for sure I will monetize my vids once I hit 1K subs but that is YouTube paying me to allow commercials or some such thing. Outright asking my viewers for money just feels weird.

I personally would do what others have said and buy cd's, etc but I am not funding anyones day gig. I have a square job and that pays my bills. Some could argue that the transfer of knowledge is a commodity but I will leave that up to others. If I ever hit the point where I was actually getting compensated, then no WAY would I patreon or anything else like that.

Almost at that 1k mark man, you will have it soon. Your demos are awesome and you have helped me quite a bit over the years. Between that and the humble attitude that you have you would definitely be the type of person I would donate to vs. someone just straight up asking for money.
Hey thanks man! For the most part, I am generally just glad that any info or "how to" I put out is actually of benefit to someone.

You do a great job, and offer a great service to alot of people. If I were into the Helix, I wouldn't flinch donating a couple bucks. I actually watched a couple of your Helix tutorials to try and talk myself into it.

Suggestion.. Post an "Iced Earth- Something Wicked" tone quest patch, I'm in!

napalmdeath":1r1drz6r said:
JerEvil":1r1drz6r said:
maddnotez":1r1drz6r said:
JerEvil":1r1drz6r said:

You do a great job, and offer a great service to alot of people. If I were into the Helix, I wouldn't flinch donating a couple bucks. I actually watched a couple of your Helix tutorials to try and talk myself into it.

Oh man... CHALLENGE ACCEPTED! I can't even believe IE isn't on the list of tones I made AND that is my favorite album from them.

EDIT:
I can use Blessed Are You and do both the clean and dirty tones! I am excited to see if I can cop this tone!

JerEvil":woc57e3h said:
napalmdeath":woc57e3h said:
maddnotez":woc57e3h said:

Oh man... CHALLENGE ACCEPTED! I can't even believe IE isn't on the list of tones I made AND that is my favorite album from them.

EDIT:
I can use Blessed Are You and do both the clean and dirty tones! I am excited to see if I can cop this tone!

Gonna need a "Larry" patch! :LOL: :LOL:

napalmdeath":2wcsv966 said:
JerEvil":2wcsv966 said:
napalmdeath":2wcsv966 said:
maddnotez":2wcsv966 said:

EDIT:

Yup! I'll probably call it that if I can get it even remotely convincing. They have an amp model that is the power section of a Marshall and preamp or a Dual Rec. That might work for starters. I need to look up his cabs and all.

JerEvil":2or2n9d0 said:
napalmdeath":2or2n9d0 said:
napalmdeath":2or2n9d0 said:
maddnotez":2or2n9d0 said:

EDIT:

Yup! I'll probably call it that if I can get it even remotely convincing. They have an amp model that is the power section of a Marshall and preamp or a Dual Rec. That might work for starters. I need to look up his cabs and all.

Maybe the Badonk.

napalmdeath":33un7te9 said:
Wizard of Ozz":33un7te9 said:
mooncobra":33un7te9 said:
That mad German dude, eytchpi42, constantly brags about all the free gear he gets, says he wont demo gear unless the companies pay him for his demos amd give him the gear(which usually suck unless he has someone like martin miller doing the demo), and has a patreon asking for money, and a go fund me sometimes like when he left his camera on the ground at musikmesse, of course someone took it, so a go fund me was set up so he could get money for a new camera. This guy has a wall of cool amps, says he got most free from companies, lives in a nice place, and is asking for money??

here is a video by him: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1-slY-pVuc&t=1s - looks like he is doing good to me.

I can not stand that guy at all. He's obnoxious and annoying as hell. I'd give him money to shut up and stay off of youtube. His jokes are almost as lame as his gear demos. Every time I see his face I think of:

Wimpy.jpg

Heard that. German dude = Annoying, obnoxious fuckhead. His demos usually sound like shit, too.

And, FWIW, Martin Miller is probably the most complete guitar player I have seen, in quite some time. The tastiest of blues, the jazziest of jazz, the shreddiest of shred, country, you name it. And he doesn't just dabble in different genres, he's a master at them. Not since Gary Moore, has somebody of this caliber come along. Sure, Guthrie can do it, but he's too spastic. Martin is just a precision, well-oiled machine of a guitar player. One of the best on the planet, if you ask me. And for those who only know Gary Moore's blues, his older stuff had jazz fusion, classical, spanish, hard rock, and metal influences. He was a true, complete guitar player, much like Martin is today.

Sorry. Got off topic a bit.

Oh, I agree, Martin Miller cuts it so strict, that dude is sooooo good!

I guess I’m just a cheap ass, it never even crossed my mind to donate or send any $$ to a youtuber, always thought me hitting their video was enough.

I’d never heard of Patreon until this thread, but I think it’s an awesome idea. Wish I would have thought of creating something like that. Kudus to people still creating new businesses around the changing landscape.

Nope, you are only allowed to make money as a guitarist in the traditional sense, slave away for a record label if you get a deal and tour then hope you get paid if any of your merch sells or if a sleezy promotor decides to pay you after a gig. :aww:

If you think outside the box and find other ways to make money as a guitarist such as Youtube monetization or Patreon then you are not being fair to other guitarists and you will be ridiculed on the Rig-Talk forum especially the more financially successful you are. That's just not fair to traditional guitarists and musicians who aren't on social media. :gethim:

I think that clarifies the situation. :LOL: :LOL:

EXPcustom":1b0gz7la said:
Nope, you are only allowed to make money as a guitarist in the traditional sense, slave away for a record label if you get a deal and tour then hope you get paid if any of your merch sells or if a sleezy promotor decides to pay you after a gig. :aww:

If you think outside the box and find other ways to make money as a guitarist such as Youtube monetization or Patreon then you are not being fair to other guitarists and you will be ridiculed on the Rig-Talk forum especially the more financially successful you are. That's just not fair to traditional guitarists and musicians who aren't on social media. :gethim:

I don’t see it as not being fair to other guitar players at all. I could care less about that. Personally it’s just not for me. I know people that are legit butthurt that guys like Fluff have Sig model guitars. Good on him! He gets more eyes on gear than most guys trying to make it.

Like I said, I got no beef with anyone’s hustle.

JerEvil":n8ezm9tm said:
EXPcustom":n8ezm9tm said:

I don’t see it as not being fair to other guitar players at all. I could care less about that. Personally it’s just not for me. I know people that are legit butthurt that guys like Fluff have Sig model guitars. Good on him! He gets more eyes on gear than most guys trying to make it.

Like I said, I got no beef with anyone’s hustle.

Just to clarify I was being sarcastic in my post. I say good for the Youtube guitar heroes. I don't know why Rig-Talk has such a bias against musicians doing financially well sometimes. :confused:

You know on this forum there are people that believe that they should be able to copy and paste and be able to sell commercial Kemper profiles they buy that people work hard on micing, mixing, marketing and profiling just because they don't think it's "real musician work" so they should be able to pirate and profit off them.

Once I became aware of how Amazon pays guys through their Youtube links (Like Ola's demo links), I started to use those to send some money back to the guys. Guys like Troy Grady, Ola, Jordan Valeriote (Hardcore Music Studio), I try to support whenever I'm in the market, because I have learned a ton from them.

Unfortunately, there is no other way (really) to make a living at playing guitar. Why do you think you can actually go to summer camp with Vai, Gilbert, and Petrucci? They may enjoy the things that come out of it, but they wouldn't be exploring that avenue if they were still making the residuals.

Guys like Ben Eller, Cameron Cooper, Grady and the 'guitarmastery' guy (Klaus?) all deserve everything they get. I've sponged a shit-ton of new ideas from them.

JerEvil":lf12unhg said:

I personally would do what others have said and buy cd's, etc but I am not funding anyones day gig. I have a square job and that pays my bills. Some could argue that the transfer of knowledge is a commodity but I will leave that up to others. If I ever hit the point where I was actually getting compensated, then no WAY would I patreon or anything else like that. Not because it’s crappy, but because I don’t do this as my main source of income.

JerEvil...............You do and outstanding job and I have learned a lot with you Midi Drum series, thank you for that! Your a stand up human being!

I'd donate to some of the folks that create theory lesson content; a couple of them are putting out great stuff! :thumbsup:

Rock Bodom":3puzb7f7 said:
The only guitar thing I've ever learned from YouTube is when Jake E lee showed how he actually plays Bark at the Moon. And he didn't even ask me for money.

You should check out some of Rick Grahams videos.

Back