Zakk Wylde Les Paul camo custom

Mindys87

Hey everyone!

I have an offer to trade my explorer to Gibson Zakk wylde camo Les Paul custom. I didn't see it yet in person. I'm not expert on Gibsons, especially those custom ones. Watched trogly's video about it, he pointed out few things to check, but I'd be happy to hear from someone else also! Thanks.

Last edited:
They came with letters of authenticity and were numbered. If they don’t have either, then assume it’s a parts copy.

Real ones are north of 8-10k based on quality and condition.

IMHO just go find a Norlin Les Paul custom which is what they’re based on.

What kind of explorer do you have?

I have to imagine a real Zakk Wylde LPC is worth way more than the typical modern Gibson Explorer....which makes the deal seem kinda fishy
It's just regular explorer from 2001, nothing fancy. Actually I think maybe that guy never thought that it could be fake Gibson. Who knows, I'll find out tomorrow when we will meet. I'm not going to jump on it like crazy. He's not playing in the band anymore and said that he always wanted explorer and that he knows how hard it is to sell guitars for high price in my country so he would better exchange it for something else, even if it's worth way less. He's from very well known band in the country and very well known as a musician around. It would be strange if he would try to sell fake garbage, because then everyone would know that he's an asshole. Whatever, it's interesting, I was surprised when he offered this.

It's just regular explorer from 2001, nothing fancy. Actually I think maybe that guy never thought that it could be fake Gibson. Who knows, I'll find out tomorrow when we will meet. I'm not going to jump on it like crazy. He's not playing in the band anymore and said that he always wanted explorer and that he knows how hard it is to sell guitars for high price in my country so he would better exchange it for something else, even if it's worth way less. He's from very well known band in the country and very well known as a musician around. It would be strange if he would try to sell fake garbage, because then everyone would know that he's an asshole. Whatever, it's interesting, I was surprised when he offered this.
Its fake.

My #1
5C5ABCDE-F54B-4C5A-A3B2-BBFC460834B0.jpeg

How do you know?
Because theres a 6 to 8k differrence in cost and from what you said the guy knows what it is. If it was hard to sell guitars that's one thing but it wouldn't be hard to sell an authentic wylde les paul for the 2k he would need to get a really nice explorer. Your gonna be pissed off. Either after the meet up that he wasted your time or in a couple weeks when you realize he fucked you.

Because theres a 6 to 8k differrence in cost and from what you said the guy knows what it is. If it was hard to sell guitars that's one thing but it wouldn't be hard to sell an authentic wylde les paul for the 2k he would need to get a really nice explorer. Your gonna be pissed off. Either after the meet up that he wasted your time or in a couple weeks when you realize he fucked you.
It's all fine, that's why I'm asking opinions here. I'm not going to jump on it, not that stupid. I'll see myself and when I'm really sure if it's fake (which is most probably) he will know what I think about him. He has other Gibson les paul classic which may be real thing, so I'll check it out.

What's with the odd thing behind the tailpiece that's not in the still photos you posted with the video?

I'm sure there are some fakes out there that get this detail right, but 99% of the fakes will have these big slotted bridge posts like Epiphone uses on their guitars:

800px-Epiphone_Les_Paul_Special_II_%28Vintage_Sunburst%29_-_pickup%2C_bridge%2C_tail_piece.jpg

Compared to the ones used on a real Gibson:

fig-1-this-1960-gibson-les-paul-classic-model-needs-a-new-tune-o-matic-bridge.png

That's always the first thing to check for me
I'll check on this! Trogly also pointed out the bridge.

Fakes are getting closer and even going as far as using ABR-1s, 2 screw truss covers, nitrocellulose lacquer, custom shop serials/logos that may be out of the realm of your average enthusiast, and even fret nibs. Outside of less obvious things like dimensions and routing; some things I have yet to see is the correct truss rod itself, fret markers, inlays, correct pickup rings, nut/slot depth, knob placement, backplates, logo. Some of which can be swapped so don't focus on any one thing.

If you don't have experience with a lot of Gibsons, and aren't exactly 100% sure, ask them to remove the truss cover and take a look. If the guy refuses to remove 2 screws over a multithousand dollar trade, walk. But you'll probably know if it's fake nearly immediately just by looking at and handling it. They're still at least "10 footers" for the most part.

Despite the quality of the pics, the guitar looks real enough and probably is, no flags. That doesn't mean the guitar he shows up with will be the same guitar, though. Dealt with that before, but that story probably needs it's own thread to prevent a hijack.

Fakes are getting closer and even going as far as using ABR-1s, 2 screw truss covers, nitrocellulose lacquer, custom shop serials/logos that may be out of the realm of your average enthusiast, and even fret nibs. Outside of less obvious things like dimensions and routing; some things I have yet to see is the correct truss rod itself, fret markers, inlays, correct pickup rings, nut/slot depth, knob placement, backplates, logo. Some of which can be swapped so don't focus on any one thing.

If you don't have experience with a lot of Gibsons, and aren't exactly 100% sure, ask them to remove the truss cover and take a look. If the guy refuses to remove 2 screws over a multithousand dollar trade, walk. But you'll probably know if it's fake nearly immediately just by looking at and handling it. They're still at least "10 footers" for the most part.

Despite the quality of the pics, the guitar looks real enough and probably is, no flags. That doesn't mean the guitar he shows up with will be the same guitar, though. Dealt with that before, but that story probably needs it's own thread to prevent a hijack.
Appreciate your answer! What would you recommend to look at under truss rod cover? Thing is that I don't have a lot of knowledge about Gibson Les Pauls. Hold few of them, but never had one.

Back