Zeus overdrive/distortion 8426

paulyc

Looking for info or a schematic for this oldie. I’ve read online that it’s something of a mashup between a DOD 250 and an MXR Distortion Plus with an added tone control. Supposedly the secret Randy Rhoads pedal. Also used by Carlos Cavazo. Impossible to find now. And AFAIK the new TC Electronics Zeus isn’t a copy of it. Any info appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Looking for info or a schematic for this oldie. I’ve read online that it’s something of a mashup between a DOD 250 and an MXR Distortion Plus with an added tone control. Supposedly the secret Randy Rhoads pedal. Also used by Carlos Cavazo. Impossible to find now. And AFAIK the new TC Electronics Zeus isn’t a copy of it. Any info appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Hi Paul. I've got one, probably the last one either of us are likely to see in our lifetimes. It's my third or fourth. I got the first in the late 70's when they first came out, the music store employee was also a musician and told me Randy Rhoads used one, before this was common knowledge. $65.00. The distortion plus wasn't even out yet if I'm not mistaken, as I got one later. So let me tell you about the pedal. It does have some noise. The distortion is transparent and makes most any guitar and amp sound like spot on classic rock. The tone is like low treble, then a lot of treble. The gain is powerful. I believe the unit I currently have would benefit from some new caps and possibly pots. I'll consider selling it for $325.00 and immediately kick myself in the ass. And I repeat, the 8426 has no resemblance to the distortion plus, the plus is junk compared to it. I believe Rhoads got a deal from MXR.

Hi Paul. I've got one, probably the last one either of us are likely to see in our lifetimes. It's my third or fourth. I got the first in the late 70's when they first came out, the music store employee was also a musician and told me Randy Rhoads used one, before this was common knowledge. $65.00. The distortion plus wasn't even out yet if I'm not mistaken, as I got one later. So let me tell you about the pedal. It does have some noise. The distortion is transparent and makes most any guitar and amp sound like spot on classic rock. The tone is like low treble, then a lot of treble. The gain is powerful. I believe the unit I currently have would benefit from some new caps and possibly pots. I'll consider selling it for $325.00 and immediately kick myself in the ass. And I repeat, the 8426 has no resemblance to the distortion plus, the plus is junk compared to it. I believe Rhoads got a deal from MXR.
PM sent

Back