Single Channel Build Progress

Scott, what clipping selection to you like best? None, 2 diodes, or all 4?

And what diodes did you use, looks like you went all zeners?

what's the purpose of the 2 gain knobs?
is the sound different when you turn "the first up & the second down" VS. "first down and second up" ??

(as you know) i have an amp with 2 gain knobs.
but i cannot figure out why it needs 2.

idnotbe":23ug3cwm said:
what's the purpose of the 2 gain knobs?
is the sound different when you turn "the first up & the second down" VS. "first down and second up" ??

(as you know) i have an amp with 2 gain knobs.
but i cannot figure out why it needs 2.
It doesnt “need” them and the taper is not great. The Atomica prod amps have the first pot with a 470k/470k set in place of the pot. What it does has more affect on the bright switch caps. The lower the setting to more bright caps come into play and as the gain comes up the bright caps become less effective. More tone shaping than gain shaping in a way. I typically run the first gain a little higher than the second.

Got to love that a thread of somebody bitching about something will stay at the top for days but an awesome build like this sinks like rock.

Guess build threads need more butthurt to gain posts :LOL: :LOL:

technomancer":3e2g3yu2 said:
Quick question: I've seen them a couple places, but where are you sourcing your PRPs from? Thanks!

Can't speak for Scott, but I got mine from Parts Connexion.

FourT6and2":2sbkuc4s said:
technomancer":2sbkuc4s said:
Quick question: I've seen them a couple places, but where are you sourcing your PRPs from? Thanks!

Can't speak for Scott, but I got mine from Parts Connexion.
Yes, they’re not cheap but not audiophile dumb prices either. I think 65 cents each. The kicker is that they overnight from Canada for cheaper than some vendors charge for ground US shipping.

Another great resistor from Mouser is the TE/Holsworthy H4P. These are the same as the “Holco” resistors on eBay that people pay to much for. I like the leads on the PRP better though. Both are 1% tolerance and stupid quiet

Okay.......... Makeover went well. Got in my black piping and transformed the vintage headshell into something a bit more contemporary. I dig it.

IMG_3570.jpg

IMG_3573.JPG

IMG_3576.JPG

IMG_3574.JPG

So bumping this as I had a question about the preamp if you don't mind answering. I'm considering building something similar when I finish the Aldrich.

Am I looking at your layout correctly: looks like you inserted Gain 1 after the post 1A 22nF cap and before the 470k-2.2nF/470k voltage divider? Did you stick with the typical 1M audio? Also what did you end up going with for the clipping diodes in this one?

:rock:

Back