Bass tone

• Thread starter Thread starter Bob Savage
  • Start date Start date
>|<>QBB<
defpearlpilot":39568 said:
>|<>QBB<

We can agree to disagree. Perhaps you are pickier with bass tone. When it comes to bass though, I'd invest more in the instrument then in the head+cab. I have a great Mesa rig right now that just doesn't sound as full as that Bubinga bass. :love:

Yeah, there's no problem with disagreement. We all get to where we're we want to be different ways.

I've got a Conklin GT5 bass, which is a pretty good bass, actually.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Conklin-GT5-5String-Fretless-Bass?sku=512703&src=3SOSWXXA

Those Conkilns are really nice basses.

I think that the RBI is a great preamp, but I have never been a fan of the preamp/power amp set up for either bass or guitar.

About the 800RB, if you look around, you can snag them on eBay every now and then for as little as $350. I was never a fan of GK cabs though, they were always missing something. You can usually pick up used SWR cabs for cheap though.

>|<>QBB<
orangekick":456cd said:
Those Conkilns are really nice basses.

I think that the RBI is a great preamp, but I have never been a fan of the preamp/power amp set up for either bass or guitar.

About the 800RB, if you look around, you can snag them on eBay every now and then for as little as $350. I was never a fan of GK cabs though, they were always missing something. You can usually pick up used SWR cabs for cheap though.

Well, I bit the bullet and just bought a GK 800RB from Music Go Round. If I dig this thing I'll sell my RBI, if I don't dig it, I'll sell it and try a rig based around the RBI. I'm wanting a 2x10/1x15 setup so I can throw an MD421 on a 10" and an Audix D6 on the 15", and figured the built in biamp on the 800RB would be a nice way to go. With a preamp/PA setup I'd have to buy a seperate biamp and I don't want to do that.

Time to start looking for some cheap cabs. There's a 2x10 Mesa for sale here locally for $300. I'll bet that sounds nice!

I'd just go to your nearest GC and buy a power amp and the cabs you want...take it home and see if you dig it with the Sansamp with the full intention of returning it in a few days. Only way to know for sure. I've brought stuff back to GC the day after I bought it. :roll: :D

the harmony central bass forum guys say the Avatar NEO 4x10's hold their own against most anything and are cheap. As far as a head I just checked out an Ashdown Mag 300 and thought it was awesome. For $300 it would do what you want and I hear they are very reliable.

>|<>QBB<
bigangryguitar":2aea0 said:
the harmony central bass forum guys say the Avatar NEO 4x10's hold their own against most anything and are cheap. As far as a head I just checked out an Ashdown Mag 300 and thought it was awesome. For $300 it would do what you want and I hear they are very reliable.

Yeah, I've been recommended the Avatar cab. After looking around, it seems some decent bass cabs can be had for a good price, used. I'll probably pick up something used instead in the case I want to resell. I don't want to lose money.

I ended up buying a GK 800RB this morning. I should have it next week, though I may not get to put it to the test because I probably won't have cabs by then.

>|<>QBB<
Bob Savage":6e26b said:
>|<>QBB<

Yeah, I've been recommended the Avatar cab. After looking around, it seems some decent bass cabs can be had for a good price, used. I'll probably pick up something used instead in the case I want to resell. I don't want to lose money.

I ended up buying a GK 800RB this morning. I should have it next week, though I may not get to put it to the test because I probably won't have cabs by then.

I have never heard a GK head I didn't like so that thing should sound great. I mentioned the Ashdown because I thought it held it's own against a lot of stuff that cost a lot more. Sounds like you are well on the way to a great rig.

>|<>QBB<
bigangryguitar":36a42 said:
>|<>QBB<

I have never heard a GK head I didn't like so that thing should sound great. I mentioned the Ashdown because I thought it held it's own against a lot of stuff that cost a lot more. Sounds like you are well on the way to a great rig.

I'm hearing this a lot, which is good. Hopefully I'll dig the GK so I can sell my RBI and get some extra cash towards the cabs.

>|<>QBB<
Randy Van Sykes":36a42 said:
Bob have you tried the Tech21 Sans Amp direct bass thingy?

Nope, but I've the Bass POD, the Sansamp RBI (great unit through a power amp) and other direct methodologies and the best bass tones I've gotten by FAR are miced amps, so, I'm going the clunky way, and getting a bass rig.

The David Eden's have been some of my favorite sounding bass rigs (from hearing guys that I've played with)...might be able to pick up a used Eden cab for $500-$600...and it should retain it's value, if you want to sell it one day down the road.

410xlt_tn.jpg

>|<>QBB<
Randy Van Sykes":f2a1a said:
The David Eden's have been some of my favorite sounding bass rigs (from hearing guys that I've played with)...might be able to pick up a used Eden cab for $500-$600...and it should retain it's value, if you want to sell it one day down the road.

410xlt_tn.jpg

I'm actually eyeballing the SWR 2x10T Goliath III Junior cabs. It looks like I can pick one up for under $300, then the next stop is a 1x15. Have you heard the SWR cabs? I like SWR gear, but haven't heard this particular cab.

>|<>QBB<
Bob Savage":ef086 said:
>|<>QBB<

I'm actually eyeballing the SWR 2x10T Goliath III Junior cabs. It looks like I can pick one up for under $300, then the next stop is a 1x15. Have you heard the SWR cabs? I like SWR gear, but haven't heard this particular cab.
Yup....SWR are good too...I've heard the 4x10 with 1x15 rig...sounded great.

>|<>QBB<
Bob Savage":b7351 said:
>|<>QBB<

I had an SWR 2x10 and a 1x15 for a while and the tone was great. I mostly used it for live playing and I never had bad tone at all. I usually like a nice fat tone with a decent attack to it and those cabs kept upvery well.

>|<>QBB<
orangekick":b442d said:
>|<>QBB<

I had an SWR 2x10 and a 1x15 for a while and the tone was great. I mostly used it for live playing and I never had bad tone at all. I usually like a nice fat tone with a decent attack to it and those cabs kept upvery well.

Excellent, fat tone with attack is what I want. Did they hold together, as in stayed tight?

>|<>QBB<
Bob Savage":2e1f4 said:
>|<>QBB<

Excellent, fat tone with attack is what I want. Did they hold together, as in stayed tight?

Yup. I was driving them pretty hard as well. A lot of fifteens bottom out on me, but the SWR was great. I only got rid of it because I got a great deal on an Ampeg 6x10 cab and I was trying to reduce the amount of trips to and from the vehicle.

By the way, what's your guys opinion on the Hartke cabs?

http://www.musicgoround.com/store/inventorydetails.asp?id=345502

I've heard people get great tone from the Hartke cabs, but they never had enough of something for me. It always sounded like something was missing.

>|<>QBB<
orangekick":e5a3d said:
>|<>QBB<

Yup. I was driving them pretty hard as well. A lot of fifteens bottom out on me, but the SWR was great. I only got rid of it because I got a great deal on an Ampeg 6x10 cab and I was trying to reduce the amount of trips to and from the vehicle.

I hear you, having to use two cabs to get two 10's and a 15 is a bummer, but I don't think this rig is going to get transported much.

Thanks for the input on the Hartke.

Back