JCM800 vs SLO

Bxlxaxkxe

Amp ho
Rainy Saturday here. Bored as shit.

The SLO is new to me (BAD version). I’m digging it. To me it’s like a beefier 800 essentially. Little thicker overall. The 800 has that classic midrange that always sounds right and works so perfectly in a live or recorded mix. SLO doesn’t stray too far from that in the big picture though. Thoughts? Opinions? Recommendations for chords that aren’t open D?

6efa0390cf2c68cee0c35873b59fd194.jpg

These bloom with the Master on "6".
Wear hearing protection.
500+ bonus points for [not] playing anything VH >

The SLO sounds bigger and heavier, the JCM800 is more pissed, angrier. Aggro amp fo sho
The depth & bottom will disappear as soon as the bass & drums kick in with a band.
Upper complex register mids is the only thing that cuts w/a band unless the band is playing on 1 o 2 at which point bass & drums will drown out everyone else.
However not all JCM-800's are created equal.

Last edited:
I hate the ducking attitude of a stock SLO circuit. It’s like the amp wants to play under something else that is more sonically dominant. Marshall’s just sit in the mix better and are voiced to cut in a mix. I actually prefer the Marshall.

6efa0390cf2c68cee0c35873b59fd194.jpg

These bloom with the Master on "6".
Wear hearing protection.
500+ bonus points for [not] playing anything VH >
I'd disagree a little on the 'bloom' thing. At least when it comes to the OG versions as I haven't tried a BAD version. Similar to Wizards, at 1.5 on the Master it starts to bloom nicely and does not fall apart ever, all the way up to 11. Yep, 11 on all the controls lol. At least on the older ones.

The depth & bottom will disappear as soon as the bass & drums kick in with a band.
Upper complex register mids is the only thing that cuts w/a band unless the band is playing on 1 o 2 at which point bass & drums will drown out everyone else.
However not all JCM-800's are created equal.
Not completely. Some of the low end can cut through, as well as the lower midrange if it's clear enough.

Back