Synergy Amps - Thoughts?

I do wish instead of 2 identical channels, there were 6505 and 6505+ channels instead. I think they missed an opportunity there.
Can't argue with that. I liked the 6505+ I had better than the OG 5150. Many will disagree with me on that, but I prefer brighter tones with less low end.

Can't argue with that. I liked the 6505+ I had better than the OG 5150. Many will disagree with me on that, but I prefer brighter tones with less low end.
I just think having 4 different options, instead of 2 repeated would be better in general for everyone. I dont know anyone who wants lower and higher gain versions of the same 6505 sound, lol. I think having a 6505 and 6505+ sound to switch between could be cool.

+1 on the power amp importance.
My experience with having tried Synergy twice is that there's little value in having multiple modules of similar tone or lineage (e.g. a marshall and a Friedman) and more value in dedicating a module per tone, i.e. clean, crunch, lead. Similar to how people run modellers live where they have a different rig for clean/ crunch/ lead.

Uber module stood out for me but only got me wanting an uber ultra.

Good stuff though.

To stress the importance of the power amp, tonight I spent some time comparing my 2-Channel Triple Recto, and the Synergy DRECT plugged into the power amp. Used like this, the Red channels are VERY close. Very small differences.

However, when I use the DRECT into my 4xKT88 poweramp, the tone is tighter and not as mid scooped. Still very cool, but not as exact.

I have two Syn 2’s with T/DLX, BEBB, SLO and Uberschall modules that I run through a Fryette PS1. I also have a Mesa Stereo 2:50 and an Engl 850/100 power amps. That said, I prefer to run the Syn 2’s through the PS1 because it’s a transparent sounding amp that allows you to hear the differences between the modules better in my opinion.

I had a SYN-1 and several different modules (Uberschall, Deliverance, Ultralead, Savage, IICP, SLO, BE and VH4). Unlike others my favorites were actually amps I didn't really care for in real life - the Uberschall being my favorite by quite a large margin.

The Deliverance I found muddy and under gained. The Ultralead absolutely nailed my SigX's sound at the time, though it had a lot more flexibility (and gain). The Savage I hated and it put me off from getting the amp for a long time - strange cause I love the real amp. The IICP had a GORGEOUS clean channel; the gain was less aggressive than I'd hoped. SLO I found uninspiring. The BE was lackluster. The VH4 I was a big fan of.

I do wonder if the Uber Ultra is based off the Uberschall module cause it sounded better than both the Rev Blue and TJ to me. That said, I didn't like how most of the modules sounded into my Fryette PS-1. They lacked low end punch and just didn't sound right to me. They sounded great through my 101b, though. They all have a sort of signature sound to them, presumably because of the shared preamp circuitry. There was less variation between several of them than I thought there'd be.

As already stated modules aren't 1:1 copies of the amps, but are pretty close. I like to think of them as an offshoot revision. That doesn't make them better or worse from their counterpart; just different.

One thing that can't be stated enough is the influence of the power amp you're using.
For examples:
My Powerball and Savage modules sound and maybe more importantly feel more like ENGL's when I run them through either my ENGL Morse or Inferno.
Running my IICP module through my Mark III Red stripe's power amp, they're almost indistinguishable. I would lose track of which one I was on when switching back and forth they're that close.
In contrast if I put any of those modules in my Randall RM100 they would sound & feel slightly different. Not a huge amount, but enough where I could hear the difference between the Mark III and IICP in the Randall.
Power amp selection will be dependent on your setup and what you're trying to accomplish. If you're going to be using a number of different modules a Fryette powerstation may be your best bet. It's fairly transparent and will work well with most everything across the board. The downside is you don't necessarily get the feel of big iron with it. If you're going for a specific sound/module you are likely best to choose a power amp that's similar to the real thing. It may not work as well with other modules, but will hit the sound you're going for better. The main thing here is to start with a good power amp and you'll get a good sound. If you go into a crap power amp it'll end up sounding like shit.

In my case I started out with a Fryette PS100 which worked just fine. I've recently changed my setup where I'm using a couple of Synergy modules and some modded MTS ones for both bass and guitar. So I've migrated everything to my Crate BV300. This is the one from when Crate and Ampeg were both owned by St. Louis Music. The BV300 has a SVT power section. The SVT power section gives me the best balance for everything. Not to mention 300 watts of huge iron hits like a truck when you start to crank it.

This was Steve Vai’s rig at the Kansas City show May 1:

Attachments

• IMG_3129.jpeg
    IMG_3129.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 55
Wonder why use used 2 Syn1s instead of a Syn2.
Maybe his Syn2 is too noisy like mine. Their build consistency is really, really shit, even though I like the system itself.

The Syn-5050 isn’t bad but it really needs the presence and depth turned up quite high.

Reactions: PDC
Coming full circle, I ended up getting a SYN-2 with an SLO, BEDLX and DS module, and I am loving it! I'm actually seriously considering replacing my live rig with this (currently a Mesa TC50).

Does anyone have a recommendation on a power amp? The obvious answer would be the matching Synergy 5050, but I heard people saying about how noisy the fan is. Also, should I consider a solid state like a SD PowerStage or Matrix or stick with a tube power amp? I do want to maintain that "tube feel" through my cab and don't have any experience running preamps through solid state power amps.

Coming full circle, I ended up getting a SYN-2 with an SLO, BEDLX and DS module, and I am loving it! I'm actually seriously considering replacing my live rig with this (currently a Mesa TC50).

Does anyone have a recommendation on a power amp? The obvious answer would be the matching Synergy 5050, but I heard people saying about how noisy the fan is. Also, should I consider a solid state like a SD PowerStage or Matrix or stick with a tube power amp? I do want to maintain that "tube feel" through my cab and don't have any experience running preamps through solid state power amps.
Man I really love my PS-2a and it's a multitool - attenuator and load box too.

As already stated modules aren't 1:1 copies of the amps, but are pretty close. I like to think of them as an offshoot revision. That doesn't make them better or worse from their counterpart; just different.

One thing that can't be stated enough is the influence of the power amp you're using.
For examples:
My Powerball and Savage modules sound and maybe more importantly feel more like ENGL's when I run them through either my ENGL Morse or Inferno.
Running my IICP module through my Mark III Red stripe's power amp, they're almost indistinguishable. I would lose track of which one I was on when switching back and forth they're that close.
In contrast if I put any of those modules in my Randall RM100 they would sound & feel slightly different. Not a huge amount, but enough where I could hear the difference between the Mark III and IICP in the Randall.
Power amp selection will be dependent on your setup and what you're trying to accomplish. If you're going to be using a number of different modules a Fryette powerstation may be your best bet. It's fairly transparent and will work well with most everything across the board. The downside is you don't necessarily get the feel of big iron with it. If you're going for a specific sound/module you are likely best to choose a power amp that's similar to the real thing. It may not work as well with other modules, but will hit the sound you're going for better. The main thing here is to start with a good power amp and you'll get a good sound. If you go into a crap power amp it'll end up sounding like shit.

In my case I started out with a Fryette PS100 which worked just fine. I've recently changed my setup where I'm using a couple of Synergy modules and some modded MTS ones for both bass and guitar. So I've migrated everything to my Crate BV300. This is the one from when Crate and Ampeg were both owned by St. Louis Music. The BV300 has a SVT power section. The SVT power section gives me the best balance for everything. Not to mention 300 watts of huge iron hits like a truck when you start to crank it.

This is where I think Synergy is missing the mark... they need to design a 3-4 model poweramp that will cover more of the power section needs.

Musle (Boogie)
Euro " Tight" ( Peavey 5150/6505 family off which I am assuming a lot of these higher gainers are built)
British (Marshall)
American (Fender) Sag, squish, some scoop

Something like that. This would get them much closer. From what I hear, those Synergy power amps are weak. The randall stuff was better but it lacked the ability to cater to the preamp.

Get er' done Synergy.

I

I did not like Synergy with a SS power amp. Go Fryette if you’re hesitant about the 5050.

I

I did not like Synergy with a SS power amp. Go Fryette if you’re hesitant about the 5050.
I wouldn't say it hesitant, just more-so curious about what options are out there and if I should put serious consideration into something that's not the SYM5050

This is where I think Synergy is missing the mark... they need to design a 3-4 model poweramp that will cover more of the power section needs.

Musle (Boogie)
Euro " Tight" ( Peavey 5150/6505 family off which I am assuming a lot of these higher gainers are built)
British (Marshall)
American (Fender) Sag, squish, some scoop

Something like that. This would get them much closer. From what I hear, those Synergy power amps are weak. The randall stuff was better but it lacked the ability to cater to the preamp.

Get er' done Synergy.
I always thought a power amp similar to what Bogner designed for the Line 6 DT25/50 would be perfect for Synergy. Switch between 4 topologies, Pentode/Triode & Class A/AB.

I have the DT25 and it worked really well with matching the power amp to the preamp. The downfall of at least the DT25 is its EL84 and lacked balls. But something like that with big bottle octal tubes would be great.

I used a few power amps with the Syn2 both tube and SS. For tube the Mesa 50/50 was my favorite.
For SS I got great results with the Palmer Macht 402.

Back