Synergy Amps - Thoughts?

• Thread starter Thread starter spanny
  • Start date Start date
I sold all my Synergy gear last year. Maybe the preamps where fine, and it was just the 5050 power amp making it sound weak. But next to a few good heads it came in at around 80% in the tone and punch department.

I just think having 4 different options, instead of 2 repeated would be better in general for everyone. I dont know anyone who wants lower and higher gain versions of the same 6505 sound, lol. I think having a 6505 and 6505+ sound to switch between could be cool.

I'm sure Dave Friedman can mod the 6505 module. He's tweaked modules for a lot of people, including Lynch.

Last edited:
Wonder why use used 2 Syn1s instead of a Syn2.
My guess: he is using one Syn1 for each of the LXII power amps in that rack. That rig is like having two 100W 2 channel heads in that space. Pretty neat.

I've seen pics of some bigger rigs of his using multiple Syn2s/LXIIs... He will also still use Legacy amps too, IIRC, sometimes. Probably all depends on the venue, situation, etc.

Last edited:
With the price of everything being so absurd, Synergy amps offer a relatively fantastic value. Their tube amps sound awesome but some of the components are very cheap. Nevertheless - as far as I can tell (not being any kind of amp expert) - you could probably replace the cheap components and it'll still cost 1/3 or 1/2 of the cost of the amps they emulate. My favorite modules are the Metropoulos and the Dirty Shirley.

With the price of everything being so absurd, Synergy amps offer a relatively fantastic value. Their tube amps sound awesome but some of the components are very cheap. Nevertheless - as far as I can tell (not being any kind of amp expert) - you could probably replace the cheap components and it'll still cost 1/3 or 1/2 of the cost of the amps they emulate. My favorite modules are the Metropoulos and the Dirty Shirley.
I used to think the Synergy stuff was too expensive, but it seems like the price of everything else has went up lately, but the Synergy prices have stayed fairly consistent. It seems more competitively priced now.

Does anyone have a recommendation on a power amp? The obvious answer would be the matching Synergy 5050, but I heard people saying about how noisy the fan is. Also, should I consider a solid state like a SD PowerStage or Matrix or stick with a tube power amp? I do want to maintain that "tube feel" through my cab and don't have any experience running preamps through solid state power amps.
If you’re not using the Synergy system to expand an existing amp and want a dedicated power amp, I’d recommend the Fryette 2/50/2. If I wasn’t running my SYN-2 through an amp head, I’d want my 2/50/2 back. Still do sometimes.

Back