Schecter Fan Bois..

Gitfiddler

Identify yourselves.

I have been looking for a reasonably priced 24 fret shredder guitar and have been focused on Jackson, Ibanez, & ESP EII. I came across a used Schecter Reaper for not much $. Great guitar. Very comfortable to play, The Schecter bridge is very comfortable. I am not in love with the pickups, but for a very inexpensive beater guitar, I am happy!

I ignorantly dismissed Schecter for years and am now interested in their other models. So many, and so many with SS frets, pickup upgrades, etc.!

I am so glad I didn't drop $2500 on an EII or one of the newer Jacksons when I don't think I would be any happier.

Shame on me for dismissing an Indonesian build as well.

Check 'em out!

ive found them to very hit or miss feeling; but i have a buddy with a plain old piece of shit 006 that plays like a prs. its crazy how comfortable that guitar is..

I've got a V-1 Hellraiser, and a V-1 Blackjack ATX, both MIK. I paid less than $500 each for them, used. I think they're outstanding guitars, and I'd have no misgivings about getting another one. I preferred different pickups than the stock ones they came with, but that tends to be true of most of my guitars.

I've got a V-1 Hellraiser, and a V-1 Blackjack ATX, both MIK. I paid less than $500 each for them, used. I think they're outstanding guitars, and I'd have no misgivings about getting another one. I preferred different pickups than the stock ones they came with, but that tends to be true of most of my guitars.
What is your favorite pickup combo so far?

ive found them to very hit or miss feeling; but i have a buddy with a plain old piece of shit 006 that plays like a prs. its crazy how comfortable that guitar is..
One of my best playing and sounding guitars is a cheapo pink and purple Omen.

I'm a fanboy of em, their USA models are incredible and their imports are fine as well. With that said, I liked them more in the past, now their imports look somehow cheesier. It's like there's something wrong with plain black or white gloss guitars these days.

Back in the late 90's I joined a band that played 7 strings, but I didn't have one. The guitarist let me use his green Diamond Series A-7. That guitar played really nice, it had a wild look but I would love to find another one someday.

I'm a fanboy of em, their USA models are incredible and their imports are fine as well. With that said, I liked them more in the past, now their imports look somehow cheesier. It's like there's something wrong with plain black or white gloss guitars these days.
I just returned a Jack Fowler. Dead pick-up, 5 of the saddle height adjustment screws were oddly missing and 2 of the 4 neck bolts turned freely and were stripped out or holes drilled too big? They're usually on their game, but this was sad and just plain pathetic it left a factory like that.

I just returned a Jack Fowler. Dead pick-up, 5 of the saddle height adjustment screws were oddly missing and 2 of the 4 neck bolts turned freely and were stripped out or holes drilled too big? They're usually on their game, but this was sad and just plain pathetic it left a factory like that.
Mmm almost sounds like someone returned it after messing things up on purpose. Shouldn't have left neither the factory and the shop. Shame cause the Fowler I played was smoking

Got this a few weeks ago and it's killer. Model is Sun Valley Super Shredder.

20240515_160353.jpg

Last edited:
Mmm almost sounds like someone returned it after messing things up on purpose. Shouldn't have left neither the factory and the shop. Shame cause the Fowler I played was smoking
It played beautifully once I set it up, but with a dead pickup, it was useless. I found all the saddle screws rolling around underneath the saddles. Loved the neck.

Schecters are cool. I’ve had some great imports and some major duds as well. Specifically, I had a Merrow MK1 that was pure trash and an MK2 that was on the same level as my US Jackson I had. Schecter USA custom shop is next level, no surprise there but it’s no Ormsby or Mayones level IMO.

I currently have (3) older Solo models.

@PurityS.L.G I also had the same experience with a Merrow I purchased. It was a piece of deadwood. Great looking guitar, but it was sonically dull.

I have had a number of Solo 6's, Tempests, and C-1's through the years. I feel all of them, with exception to the Merrow, have been a good bang for the buck.

Last year I bought one of the new Solo-II Blackjacks from Zzounds. I couldn't have been more disappointed. Must have been set-up by Bob after a hard night at the local pub. Plays like 💩 and sounds like 💩. Not a fan of the Lundgren p/ups at all. I should have sent it back, but it sits in the mancave collecting dust. Maybe I'll start a fire with it some day.

I'd love to give on of their Corsairs a thorough play.
Played one, I had no great expectations but it was impressive. Not cheap tho.

Last year I bought one of the new Solo-II Blackjacks from Zzounds. I couldn't have been more disappointed. Must have been set-up by Bob after a hard night at the local pub. Plays like 💩 and sounds like 💩. Not a fan of the Lundgren p/ups at all. I should have sent it back, but it sits in the mancave collecting dust. Maybe I'll start a fire with it some day.

Try a pickup swap, I've played Schecs sounding like pure asscream with stock pickups (not stock Schecter branded pups, those always sounded quite good, mainly Duncans) and coming to life with a pickups swap that matched the guitar unplugged sound. Unfortunately Schecter is one of those follow-the-trend brand, and Lundgren is, like Fishman, one of those trends which not everyone likes, me included.

Played one, I had no great expectations but it was impressive. Not cheap tho.
Thanks for the feedback. It's a bit over a grand for the gold top but I am always shopping mid tier semi hollows so if it's a good guitar it's well worth the price and at least some consideration IMO.

Back