Diezel Herbert Mark III vs Mesa Triple Mutli-Watt vs Bogner UU

• Thread starter Thread starter glpg80
  • Start date Start date

Select One

• Diezel Herbert 3

• Mesa Triple Multi-Watt

• Bogner Uber Ultra

Results are only viewable after voting.
The Uber ultra in a mix kills. And I mean that on all fronts. Recorded, live, and jamming. IF you’re playing metal.

I’m assuming most people here when they say in a “band mix” at this point just mean jamming in a room with the dudes and not micd up doing a show. Or recording an actual full on song with a band.

2 channel Triple G came up local last night for $1200. Sold before I could check it out.

Friend of mine got a Triple multi watt for $600 about a year ago.

Man. I’ve owned all 3 of these amps. The UU is one of the best amps I’ve owned. The Triple MW is probably in the top 5 or 6 amps I’ve owned and I really would love another one. I was a Herbert die hard for like 10 years beginning in 2006. I’ve owned every version and the mk3 twice. I want to like it for sentimental reasons I guess, but man it’s just way too smooth, dark and compressed for my tastes these days.

Man. I’ve owned all 3 of these amps. The UU is one of the best amps I’ve owned. The Triple MW is probably in the top 5 or 6 amps I’ve owned and I really would love another one. I was a Herbert die hard for like 10 years beginning in 2006. I’ve owned every version and the mk3 twice. I want to like it for sentimental reasons I guess, but man it’s just way too smooth, dark and compressed for my tastes these days.
I think the UU is excellent for a metal amp! See attached set list for reference from our last show. I think you’ll agree, the UU probably isn’t the best choice.

On the Herbert, for me , it has plenty of high end and presence. It can get compressed with tons of gain. I don’t play with tons of gain . Mine is loaded with 6l6’s which brings out a bit more of the high end. I also play it through a FL with k100 and v30’s. I also understand throwing it up against the amps in your room there would be a contrast in raw and aggressive!! lol.

IMG_5873.jpeg
IMG_5874.jpeg
IMG_5875.jpeg

I think the UU is excellent for a metal amp! See attached set list for reference from our last show. I think you’ll agree, the UU probably isn’t the best choice.

On the Herbert, for me , it has plenty of high end and presence. It can get compressed with tons of gain. I don’t play with tons of gain . Mine is loaded with 6l6’s which brings out a bit more of the high end. I also play it through a FL with k100 and v30’s. I also understand throwing it up against the amps in your room there would be a contrast in raw and aggressive!! lol.

View attachment 317121View attachment 317124View attachment 317127

You gotta dial the herbert a certain way & pick very aggressively to get aggressive attack. It does it though.... it REALLY likes to be opened up... people say they sound good low, and they do decently, bit it's 180 watts, with channels on noon the master starts really opening up around 10.0 clock and it just begs for more but it's loud at that point for sure if it's dialed. And I dial it reverse the way I do a marshall. The highs are completely different. And the presence. After all the amps I've had, I'm running the channel highs on the herbert higher than I ever have anything. On most marshalls they dont go past 3, if not 0. Mids dimed. Bass to taste on Marshall's. Totally different shit happening on the herbert but the more I play it the more I realize why it probably will be with me for a while. It gives you exactly what you give it. Its like a relationship.🤏

I'm noticing I prefer the amp with the tad 6l6 biased cold so far.

Mixes using all 3 amps:

Diezel Herbert MK3 mix (straight into amp)

Bogner Uber Ultra mix (straight into amp)

Mesa Dual Rectifier 2 channel revg mix (used Maxon OD808 as a clean boost)

The Uber Ultra is sick as F. The mids are just right.. everything is just.. right.. low end, high end.. presence.. LOVE IT!!!

Mixes using all 3 amps:

Clips sound great. Did you do this from the ground up (drums and bass yourself)? Use someone else’s stems and mix minus the guitars? Or have ai pull everything out except guitar? Nice work

Mixes using all 3 amps:

Sounds good buddy.

Does sound processed through an IR.
Are they micd cabs or sent to an IR?

Always liked those XTC amps, it's on my closet bucket list still. 🤣

Mixes using all 3 amps:

The Uber stuck out to me the most, the others seemed a little lost in the mix and bland.

The MW Rectifiers are IMO more usable and versatile than the 2 channel revisions. They are less noisy and the eq is way more interactive. I have had a lot of 2 channels over the years that didn't sound so great ..they seem to vary from one to anther regardless of revision.

The Uber stuck out to me the most, the others seemed a little lost in the mix and bland.

The MW Rectifiers are IMO more usable and versatile than the 2 channel revisions. They are less noisy and the eq is way more interactive. I have had a lot of 2 channels over the years that didn't sound so great ..they seem to vary from one to anther regardless of revision.

I think it has to do with how he has things dialed. The IR he is running through. The tracks seem heavily processed rather than just micing it up and adjusting for a raw in the room sound.

Also you can see how light he picks. He has a real soft touch. Something like tbis herbert you have to really be aggressive when youre picking or it will sound slightly muffled and lose the natural attack. It's consistently an amp that has to have a heavy hand to get what you get more easily from a boosted rectifier. Boost kind of helps people get back what they lack in picking attack in my humble opinion. But diff strokes for diff folks. The feel, some prefer the more saturated feel because its easier to play under the fingers. A herbert is hard/stiff, it can saturate but you get that growl from the dryer meat and picking real percussively. You get a tight chunk when dialed on. And it absolutely isn't getting lost in a mix. The more I listen and play the more I'm glad I've kept the herbert. It seems to give me back the time I spend with it in tone. Probably ly haven't tweaked an amp this much since the mkiv.

Now I will say my herbert in the room sounds way meaner & open in the mids than this video but again. Back to overall setups. Processing. Speakers. Pickups. And especially playing pressure with this one. It makes a huge difference 🤏🤏🤏🤏 I'm still learning this amp.

But this is a good representation of it. I'd consider it a light picking player using no boost this is what you'd expect from an amp as thick & dynamic as a mk3 herb.

💀

Last edited:
Mixes using all 3 amps:

I liked the Herbert the most out of all three. The UU has great mid content but it’s more high mids for some reason which I’ve got covered in spades in my own collection and don’t need more of.

Mixes using all 3 amps:

I liked the Herbert most of those 3. The UU clip has the qualities I remember not liking about mine. While it works very well functionally in the mix, I just don't like its sound. Very clinical/filtered and the notes have this washed out quality to them

Mixes using all 3 amps:

Nice clips mate

What channel do you use on the Herbert? 2+ or 3?

Herbert easily sounds best to me out of these 3.

UU sounds like there's a blanket over it for some reason to my ears.
Not just your clips either.

Have had all 3 - impossible to guess what you’d dig the most, but I’d personally go triple rec or UU and skip the Herbert altogether. I’d lean towards UU I think
Herbert’s are better than rectifiers !

Clips sound great. Did you do this from the ground up (drums and bass yourself)? Use someone else’s stems and mix minus the guitars? Or have ai pull everything out except guitar? Nice work
Did everything myself except I didn't do the programming of the midi for the drums. Recorded guitars and I have a dingwall NG3 for bass tracks. Then mixed everything with Pro tools.

Back