đź“ŠOpinions on the AXE-fx III in 2024?

In 2024, when it comes to the AXE well:

• I sold my amps because it was too close in the room.

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • I sold the AXEfx, it was great, but l missed glowing tubes.

Votes: 3 7.9%
  • If I was touring, axe fx is the way to go. Period. I've heard the difference.

Votes: 3 7.9%
  • I had one for a while, and I got options paralysis.

Votes: 6 15.8%
  • It was incredible. But the amp crushed it in the room.

• Never tried one, It's on the list still though. After 13 more tube amps.

Votes: 7 18.4%
  • I couldn't hear a difference, felt legit. I just prefer tubes.

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • I couldn't hear a difference, felt legit. Saves my tubes.

• I like to run both at the same time because I can't decide.

Votes: 9 23.7%
  • I have never tried one, but still, fuck that. Tubes til death.

Votes: 4 10.5%

• Total voters
I have some amps and an Axe FXIII. The Axe is a really good tool, all those options have a use in crafting tones that are pretty stellar imho. And if you're like me and struggle with recording, the Axe is a good way to get workable tones that sound good in a recording.

My favourite method these days though is to pair one of my amps with the Axe FX. I run my amp using the 4 cable method within the loop of my Axe and use that for tone generation. I then use the Axe FX for tone shaping with EQs, noise gates and other tools to get a great sound. Finally, run this through an IR or the Axe's Dynacabs to get a good tone.

The Axe FXIII is also very good into a tube power amp like my Fryette PS-2. Cab has a lot of impact on your tone though, but it's fun as hell.

I actually am ampless for the first time in Over 8 or 9 years after getting the FM3. I'm running it with a KSR PA50. I ended up selling my last couple amps after shooting them out side by side through the PA50 and a v30 2x12.

Will I never own another amp? I can't say that at all. I actually just want to replace my Atla and Mark IV but if I don't, I will be more than happy with what I have in the FM3.

I actually am ampless for the first time in Over 8 or 9 years after getting the FM3. I'm running it with a KSR PA50. I ended up selling my last couple amps after shooting them out side by side through the PA50 and a v30 2x12.

Will I never own another amp? I can't say that at all. I actually just want to replace my Atla and Mark IV but if I don't, I will be more than happy with what I have in the FM3.

Really?

What were some of the amps you sold?

I've also read that the fractal has the mark tones absolutely nailed in the iii on the fractal boards.

Would you say that's accurate ?

The FM3 into a tube power amp is definitely very good. I think there is still a difference in the immediate dynamic punch, but that is being very nictpicky.

I have a 200W 4xKT88 power amp I use, and I alternate using that with my Synergy stuff. It helps bring in the fullness that you dont get as much with a SS power amp.

Really?

I've also read that the fractal has the mark tones absolutely nailed in the iii on the fractal boards.

I know you didn't ask me, just chiming in anyway lol. I'm not sure how accurate many of the models are in the Axe III but in all honesty I personally didn't buy one for that, I simply wanted another tool that gave me great tones to record with, didn't really care if model x, y or z came within' a certain % of the physical version, etc, I just needed to dial in a variety of cool tones and have a bunch of killer effects to boot, the Fractal delivers on that front in spades.

For the record I DID sell one of my babies after getting comfy with the Axe III....I kept the Bogner and sold my SLO. No regrets either (loved the SLO, recorded plenty of tunes with it that I'm proud of, nobody can take that away, was just time to move on).

No more digital hardware modelers for me, unless they're low end (e.g., Mooer Prime S1). Software plugins sound great IMO. I run my plugins into my nearfield studio monitors; and my guitar computer rig into a powered PA with a sub. Sounds great, and costs much less than the high-end hardware modelers, and I can upgrade different components as needed. The computer cost $300, the audio interface cost: $99; $94 for the touchscreen. Already had everything else.

Has anyone used the Positive Grid Bias software and loaded it up into one of their heads or preamps? Wondering how that works out through a real speaker cab.

I know you didn't ask me, just chiming in anyway lol. I'm not sure how accurate many of the models are in the Axe III but in all honesty I personally didn't buy one for that, I simply wanted another tool that gave me great tones to record with, didn't really care if model x, y or z came within' a certain % of the physical version, etc, I just needed to dial in a variety of cool tones and have a bunch of killer effects to boot, the Fractal delivers on that front in spades.

For the record I DID sell one of my babies after getting comfy with the Axe III....I kept the Bogner and sold my SLO. No regrets either (loved the SLO, recorded plenty of tunes with it that I'm proud of, nobody can take that away, was just time to move on).
I think if people plug into an Axe FX and expect it to be identical to some specific amp, with every little nuance it has, they will be disappointed.

However, when I plug an OD, then an EQ, into my Triple Recto, with an EQ in the loop, Noise Gate, and then a Chorus and Delay, etc..... the Axe is good at trying to recreate a snapshot of this situation. That is what I like best about it. I can try to recreate all that crap in one single preset I can recall at any time.

Really?

I sold my Headfirst Alta, Mesa Mark IV, 6505, ceriatone plexi, Peavey VTM, and KSR Orion. I agree that it nails the mark tones but also Marshall tones especially after the last update. The 6505 and the fm3 were indistinguishable at same volumes.

I'm using a lot of IR's that have the EQ curve of some of my favorite albums.

I will likely buy another Atla, 6505, and Mark IV but at this point in my life I'm not missing them too bad. With the KSR PA50 I'm able to adjust the NFB, presence and resonance and pretty much get exactly what I would expect from my amp heads.

I think if people plug into an Axe FX and expect it to be identical to some specific amp, with every little nuance it has, they will be disappointed.

However, when I plug an OD, then an EQ, into my Triple Recto, with an EQ in the loop, Noise Gate, and then a Chorus and Delay, etc..... the Axe is good at trying to recreate a snapshot of this situation. That is what I like best about it. I can try to recreate all that crap in one single preset I can recall at any time.
I love my Axe. I think it is an amazing piece of gear.

I never use it for amp modeling though because I get fatigued and lose interest pretty quick, while I am okay playing my real amps for hours with the knobs in any position.

Back