4x12 wiring options.

Smash

Hack
I have wired my cabs a lot of ways, but never compared 1:1 so to speak. I have settled on a method that I definitely enjoy. And I think Mesa uses this style. What is the difference in this wiring vs others. I have posted a couple common wiring methods that I have used in the past also.
PXL_20240613_232307246.MP.jpg

I've always done the top method unless I had mismatched speakers or wanted to split the sides for stereo

View attachment 318555
Use this, and you can fit a switch to go from Vintage (series/parallel) to modern (parallel/series).
This 100% would be a great idea for a lot of guys. I just like my wiring. I am just curious what the difference is scientifically. I have wired both ways and think they both sound great. I think that I made a bigger difference using 12 guage wire than i did changing the style, but who knows. I have never had a cab I didn't like, with the exception of when my ears fatigued of the k100s

This 100% would be a great idea for a lot of guys. I just like my wiring. I am just curious what the difference is scientifically. I have wired both ways and think they both sound great. I think that I made a bigger difference using 12 guage wire than i did changing the style, but who knows. I have never had a cab I didn't like, with the exception of when my ears fatigued of the k100s
Fat wire for sure! I like the option to do rock
or metal.

I can say 100% I had them on a switch. And after a minute of playing... I'd forget which one it was on after being really sure about it in my mind and "hearing a difference"... if you have someone else do the switch, and they can phantom it, and you will 100% be like "dude it sounds a little less harsh" and they will say "yeah I didnt flip the switch that time" ....

That's definitely what happens in these situations I've confirmed it's just how we process & adapt to frequency. The only way to prove it to yourself is to put it on switch, have a friend choose when to flip it without telling you which is which and do it a few times in random order. You'll see.

I used to wire my cabs S/P by default for many years as that's all I knew. After I discovered P/S and A/B'd two identical cabs (one P/S the other S/P, both cabs identical with same speakers) I went with P/S exclusively for a long time. But now I think I prefer S/P as there is more texture/character to the mids this way, at the expense of a little bit of lows and highs. Controllable feedback is easier to get with S/P too as it feels a bit more responsive, while P/S feels slightly tighter/stiffer.

I used to wire my cabs S/P by default for many years as that's all I knew. After I discovered P/S and A/B'd two identical cabs (one P/S the other S/P, both cabs identical with same speakers) I went with P/S exclusively for a long time. But now I think I prefer S/P as there is more texture/character to the mids this way, at the expense of a little bit of lows and highs. Controllable feedback is easier to get with S/P too as it feels a bit more responsive, while P/S feels slightly tighter/stiffer.

You said...
"more TEXTURE " to the mids eh?
Less lows & highs??
Show the frequency like response chart for both in your application.
🤣
Okay baw, stop sniffing the cork and just put it back in ya ass.

I wanted to believe it made a difference, and that's literally why I thought it made one. Blind test you will embarass yourself and come to a realization.

I AVOIDED the blind testing because deep down I kinda knew, the audible differences aren't really there, and it can literally be a slight bit more pressure on the picking hand for that matter...

But once I unbiasedly had a friend try to trick me on purpose without me knowing which times it was in a certain position... while I play. And you go through it a few times. And you hear the differences. Then they tell you they never flipped the switch. At that point it is much easier to just admit it.

You are a human and you cannot perceive the difference, you're hearing other nuances in the playing or you're wanting to believe so much that it becomes "texture" and somehow you think it's sculpting the damn tone in the highs and lows.

This is the pitfall of chasing imaginary perfection 👌 You'll never find the solution because the problem you're creating doesn't actually exist.

You said...
"more TEXTURE " to the mids eh?
Less lows & highs??
Show the frequency like response chart for both in your application.
🤣
Okay baw, stop sniffing the cork and just put it back in ya ass.

I wanted to believe it made a difference, and that's literally why I thought it made one. Blind test you will embarass yourself and come to a realization.

I AVOIDED the blind testing because deep down I kinda knew, the audible differences aren't really there, and it can literally be a slight bit more pressure on the picking hand for that matter...

But once I unbiasedly had a friend try to trick me on purpose without me knowing which times it was in a certain position... while I play. And you go through it a few times. And you hear the differences. Then they tell you they never flipped the switch. At that point it is much easier to just admit it.

You are a human and you cannot perceive the difference, you're hearing other nuances in the playing or you're wanting to believe so much that it becomes "texture" and somehow you think it's sculpting the damn tone in the highs and lows.

This is the pitfall of chasing imaginary perfection 👌 You'll never find the solution because the problem you're creating doesn't actually exist.
I cannot say that you are right or wrong. And the placebo effect is strong, however, i know my ears are not as nuanced as others. When I was at the last mini amp fest, everyone could hear subtelties i didnt. Which i am cool with. I can hear the shit i care about, but i am not as sensitive as others.

While it is possible that you are correct about the placebo effect, i would hesitate before insulting others. I think your trolling is very impressive and all, but we are all here because we nerd out about these things.

Ok, I'll weigh in here. Series/parallel has a little more bass, more vintage feel, perhaps a little bluesier/relaxed. Parallel/series is a little more modern sounding, mids are subtly enhanced, better for more immediate feel. Keep in mind, these are SUBTLE changes, and you may not notice a difference.

About a dozen years ago I went through this with George Lynch, Dave Friedman and Roy Blankenship. Depending on your music/playing style, you would choose the one that makes more sense to your tone.

Only the individual player can make that determination, of course. YMMV, My .02, yada yada.

Back