Big amps still used by the pros - what do we know

Very pleased and happy with my JP-2C.

Petrucci brought his Mesa collection (with a few 2c+) to the studio for their current album:

No photo description available.

What's it like owning a mesa boogie dealership?

For me, this is the ultimate Metalcore tone:

So for me, Krank - As I Lay Dying. That grind. IMO, much more aggressive than the EOH tone that everyone loves (that I love as well, I just prefer AILD's tone).

So for me, Krank - As I Lay Dying. That grind. IMO, much more aggressive than the EOH tone that everyone loves (that I love as well, I just prefer AILD's tone).

Their tone definitely better.
Remember when everyine bashed krank? Now they realize krank was doing what everyone else is now.. Just modding someone else's stuff based on someone else's. I had a krank 1980 head and it was a beast modernized marshall tone.

People did not know how to dial those amps or use the sweep knob worth a fuck.

Also, as I lay dying, I talked to them about this album tone. And it's interesting to note that it was done by "Reamping with a ultra module fitted in the randall modular head". I always thought it was pretty thick and brutal. It's literally achieved by doing what synergy is re hashing from the original randall modules..

Also, as I lay dying, I talked to them about this album tone. And it's interesting to note that it was done by "Reamping with a ultra module fitted in the randall modular head". I always thought it was pretty thick and brutal. It's literally achieved by doing what synergy is re hashing from the original randall modules..
Man, that's a throwback. Used to listen to that album a lot, still probably one of my favorite sounding AILD albums. Spent a chunk of time trying to copy the delay on the intro track with my Marshall MG2FX to no avail.

The krank stuff is great, really great amps, big fan of the krankenstein albeit I’ve never owned one. The cabs are pretty solid as well. I know vengeance falls was done with a 5153 into a krank cab with v30s. Weird mic combo , D112 and an ATE 250 I believe.

Man, that's a throwback. Used to listen to that album a lot, still probably one of my favorite sounding AILD albums. Spent a chunk of time trying to copy the delay on the intro track with my Marshall MG2FX to no avail.

I remember being on the hunt for the module and head when I found out, because it was so beastly and thick. But I eventually swayed away from that because I would have been doing it for that one single module alone, and didn't end up making sense. Although now, I'm curious if I could plug the randall ultra module into the new synergy stuff. I know it goes the other way around so I'd assume it's either or. If I do get any synergy stuff, I'll be trying to get an old randall ultra module as one of the tones.

That's the only case I know of where that setup was ever used for an actual recorded guitar tone. But it came straight from their own mouths. Still one of the thickest tones on a metal record I believe. 👌

That's a good tone. Not an AILD fan, and all I know about Krank is the Dimebag connection. That sounds brutal af though.

From my experience as a studio nerd what players use live, and what they say was used on a recording are often wildly different.

Many players bring in old favourites, or end up using what the studio has laying about, or what the producer brings in. It's even quite common for a player to not be aware of what was used in the mix, especially if there are multiple amps used / blended or there's reamping involved. This is part of the reason chasing recorded tone is a bottomless pit. Even if you did know what amp was used, there's dozens of other variable between it and the sound hitting your earholes.

After that little rant, I saw the Living End play recently - what a band. Chris was rocking a Wizard MC50 and some blonde Bassmans. Incredible tone.
Exactly!!!!!

I had a working pass for ozzfest 03 i think it was, everyone was raving how great as I lay dying and a few other bands sounded thinking they were using 5150s when they were really hearing kranks, I took pictures of said rigs and yet no one believed me and kept going on about 5150s lol

From my experience as a studio nerd what players use live, and what they say was used on a recording are often wildly different.

Many players bring in old favourites, or end up using what the studio has laying about, or what the producer brings in. It's even quite common for a player to not be aware of what was used in the mix, especially if there are multiple amps used / blended or there's reamping involved. This is part of the reason chasing recorded tone is a bottomless pit. Even if you did know what amp was used, there's dozens of other variable between it and the sound hitting your earholes.

After that little rant, I saw the Living End play recently - what a band. Chris was rocking a Wizard MC50 and some blonde Bassmans. Incredible tone.
I saw those guys in San Diego around 1999/2000. They were touring for Roll On, I think. He had just started using the Wizards and the whole band sounded amazing. Ironically, I discovered them in a Hot Topic listening station (cheesy, goth metal, youngster store here in the States) that had Roll On in it and then soon went back to Australia to visit family and found out how huge they were and proceeded to buy anything they had that I knew would harder to get back in the U.S. Had to refresh my early AC/DC the same way as they didn’t have the original Australian records available in the U.S.

I think for Roll On he used a Plexi, breaking from using Fenders etc and then discovered Wizard to tour with.

Couple things:
1) musical tone/sound is self preference and can change (Ie some folks hate AC/DC and some love)
2) frequencies loss of our ear occurs starting in 20s. Some of us have different tonal frequency abilities at birth. (Like forms of color blindness).

What sounds good to one might be terrible to another.. why? Taste of tone? Personal history of past and memories? Hyperacusis (painful sound like alarm at 2 am)

Point is if you like what you hear; great. Doesn’t mean wrong or right. Just want you like.
I like olives. My daughter thinks I’m disgusting for it.. cool by me

Saw Tesla last night. Frank Hannon was using 2 Hiwatt’s with mics on one of 2 Hiwatt cabs. I think those heads are Super Hi 50’s. Other guitar player had 2 Friedman heads, one normal sized, one smaller on top of Marshall cabs.

I saw those guys in San Diego around 1999/2000. They were touring for Roll On, I think. He had just started using the Wizards and the whole band sounded amazing. Ironically, I discovered them in a Hot Topic listening station (cheesy, goth metal, youngster store here in the States) that had Roll On in it and then soon went back to Australia to visit family and found out how huge they were and proceeded to buy anything they had that I knew would harder to get back in the U.S. Had to refresh my early AC/DC the same way as they didn’t have the original Australian records available in the U.S.

I think for Roll On he used a Plexi, breaking from using Fenders etc and then discovered Wizard to tour with.
Yeah they're great. Solid albums, but man I can't praise them enough as a live band - just killer.

You're still gonna die on that C+ hill.....seriously, when did you NOT get to buy one? Your pussy still must hurt from that experience. So sad for you....I guess you just couldn't afford one. No worries. Get yourself a 5153, they're cheap...

Phenomenal sounding amp? 5153? They're ok. I could give a fuck less if this 'metulzz band' or that 'metullzz band' used them. Go for it. It's a plastic sounding pile of average shit. The Iconic stomps the shit outta the 5153s. At least that amp doesn't sound like a compressed buzz fest.

You always bring up the C+ thing. I'm gonna suggest you search out a therapist for some help. Maybe a good anti-psychotic would help with your C+ obsession.

Oh, and let's remind you when it comes to the C+ thing...Yes, poor VES retard, there have been a FEW records made with a C+. I'll list a few..

Metallica- AJFA, MOP, and yes the BLACK album.
Night Ranger...the first 3 albums
Dream Theater...ALL of their albums.

I don't know, but it sure seems like when you add up those 3 bands, and ALL of their album sales, I'd bet that more records have been sold and more people have listened to a C+ than anyone that's listened to a 5153.

All those obscure 'metullzzz' buzzsaw toned bands that used 5150s, take all of their album sales, add them up and you still wouldn't come close to the number of albums sold by those 3 C+ recorded bands. Other than EVHs Balance tone, I can't say I've ever even heard a 5150 anything on a record. But I don't listen to the 'Metullzz' like others here.

So, I guess the C+ has been heard by FAR more people than any of your bestest amp 5150. I'd say the C+ kinda stomps all over the 5150 when it comes to being actually heard.
Oops, sorry. Didn't mean to rain on your 5150 parade.
:hys:
I dunno 5150’s have been on a ton of records and stages. Og 5150’s are pretty great amps ime.

Yeah...This record really sounds great for that particular genre...Strong songs as well.

I didn't see him mentioned, so I'll throw Adam Jones of Tool out there. He's still touring with not one but three 100W tube heads (double Diezel VH4s and a Marshall Superbass, each with an accompanying 4x12).

It's always disappointing to see a rock or metal band live and they're clearly using modelers—recent examples include Machine Head, Fear Factory, Hypocrisy, and Blind Guardian. The punch just isn't there when there's no live guitar sound on stage.

Recently saw Eric Johnson and he was cranking Marshall's on stage.
Saw Toto recently and his bogners were kicking it.
Saw Areosmith in pitts.last year and there were amps all over the stage.

At least somewhat recently Gojira were using 5153 into Torpedo boxes live and Cantrell was using his Friedmans live.

Back