Herbert mkIII revelation!! (People say its too round?)

• Thread starter Thread starter ChuggNorris
  • Start date Start date
ChuggNorris
ChuggNorris
Banned
I have read alot of people saying the herbert was too muffled or round on the bottom end. Too thick or undefined on the chugz or fast notes.

It CAN sound like that. And the tone controls for the preamp are so sensitive. They work definitely different than any standard mesa or marshall, which have their own unique ways of dialing.

I've found so many slightly different ways to dial this amp. But the absolute MAGIC happens when you get the volume happening. It just starts building muscle and sounding more together and mean. If you take the channel volumes to 2:00 and the masters to 10:00-12:00 you are into this territory. It's loud but it's alot more clear than at low volumes and sounds like that's where it wants to be. It plays well at low volumes but it absolutely likes to be opened up.

Also there's correlations to the treble and bass, if you adjust one it's like you need to adjust the other also because the nuances change the way the frequencies are altered via the knobs on the preamp.

I dial the treble first then the mid then bass, all from zero. This also allows you to realize you got enough bass at 10:00 on channels. Shouldn't be higher for tight attack sounds. Going more will thicken the low end beautifully but thickness always sacrifices focus... up to you where that balance is. This is where people give up on the amp. They refuse to run that bass knob at 9 o'clock. Everybody I see playing one has the bass and Resonance higher... and they usually complain of not enough attack and some roundness in tone. This is why.

The amp loves highs. I've never ran highs this high on any other amp. They aren't harsh. The precense takes it into that territory. The channel high controls seem like a beautiful range of high to my ear where most the sweep is usable. I usually can't tolerate highs. This amp sounds more articulate and gains a fast grindy attack when highs are dialed in.

I never take the precense over 12:00 but if I played drop F or whatever, I'd have to, to offset the low end of the tuning and shift of registers. But it has as much "cut" available there as someone could ever need. These 2 controls are super powerful and change the way the amp acts the higher or lower they are set.

Mid cut is a mid shift. It stays cutting around 10:00, kinda boosts mids before that though. Over used feature that can cause excess fizz on tippy top at low volumes. It does go away when you get it loud. I like the amp without it, and also with it. I play and switch it on and off often because I like them both.

At bedroom volumes, this amp sounds good. But it can sound like it needs more or isn't cutting it. That's because it NEEDS volume to do what it really wants to do. I couldn't believe how tight and defined it sounded last night in the room at almost band level volume.

I concluded that people who claim the amp needs a boost, or couldn't get it to be fast and attack on the low end... yeah I'm telling you boys right now that was 100% user error. You weren't doing something right. It absolutely does fast tight defined low end while still sounding dense as fuck.

I'd put this thing up against ANY other metal amp in a room, at volume, straight in, for dynamic brutality. Without question.

And it also loves veteran 30 speakers from what I learned last night with it at dumb volumes. Single notes on the big strings sound thick and juicy.

I swear I might keep this thing forever. 🤔

Attachments

• 20240613_200554.jpg
    20240613_200554.jpg
    8.4 MB · Views: 39
What dumb ass said that flame thrower needed a boost :confused:

They are all among you.

Most say it's too round and not open.

Which... absolutely tells me they didn't use it LOUDLY.

The Volume needed for it to sound it's best is absolutely not reasonable for most guys in their houses. I will say that. So I can see why some people mislabeled the mkiii at least in these regards.

🤘

I boost Herbert and set it up raw and agressive . There’s so much tone in those knobs . But boosting is the key and I stand buy it .

I boost Herbert and set it up raw and agressive . There’s so much tone in those knobs . But boosting is the key and I stand buy it .

I'd probably EQ pedal it first. I do not prefer the tonal coloration of a boost on any amp ever it seems like. Sometimes it made it "feel" easier to play, but it took away dynamics and put more grain in the mids which in every single case took away clarity in the room for me.

I'd probably EQ pedal it first. I do not prefer the tonal coloration of a boost on any amp ever it seems like. Sometimes it made it "feel" easier to play, but it took away dynamics and put more grain in the mids which in every single case took away clarity in the room for me.
I just reallly never have liked an amp without it . Amps now are made with too much gain in them . There’s a special tone in an amp but sll the bad parts on every amp eliminated I want any high gain amp with out a gate . I believe the thing people hate gates is glorious to me . When I turn up the gain on my amps there a cool tone that comes with that . But gain brings nasty shit too . So it’s a battle I play with each amp . There’s a special zone there .i truly believe the Larry will different

I will also say this forum mostly is not fond of diezels so this won’t be a topic many like . I myself would like to see more Diezel love . There’s a small following on RT though

I will also say this forum mostly is not fond of diezels so this won’t be a topic many like . I myself would like to see more Diezel love . There’s a small following on RT though
I've never owned, or played a Diezel I didn't think was very solid. My least favorite being the DMol. That said, I totally understand why some dislike them. There us something very unfamiliar about their response, and there is a certain unusual compression and polish to them that don't sit well with your average Marshall or Mesa advocate.

I've never owned, or played a Diezel I didn't think was very solid. My least favorite being the DMol. That said, I totally understand why some dislike them. There us something very unfamiliar about their response, and there is a certain unusual compression and polish to them that don't sit well with your average Marshall or Mesa advocate.

I love marshall grind. I liked mesa alot also especially the tc100 and mkiv. The Diezel does something for sure that is absolutely unique to its brand. There's such a polished grind that happens and it swells with more volume on the herbert. It likes to be loud. It does not sound nearly like it should at any family friendly volumes. And alot of the guys who hate on it, I notice they don't do alot of high volume air pushing. Because it absolutely holds together better when it's taking strides.

I am actually considering a lower wattage, or the axefx route for lower level playing. I still play the diezel at low volume but it just doesn't deliver like it's supposed to and it's obvious to my ears in the room. 🪶

I love marshall grind. I liked mesa alot also especially the tc100 and mkiv. The Diezel does something for sure that is absolutely unique to its brand. There's such a polished grind that happens and it swells with more volume on the herbert. It likes to be loud. It does not sound nearly like it should at any family friendly volumes. And alot of the guys who hate on it, I notice they don't do alot of high volume air pushing. Because it absolutely holds together better when it's taking strides.

I am actually considering a lower wattage, or the axefx route for lower level playing. I still play the diezel at low volume but it just doesn't deliver like it's supposed to and it's obvious to my ears in the room. 🪶
I practice with axe efx

They are all among you.

Most say it's too round and not open.

Which... absolutely tells me they didn't use it LOUDLY.

The Volume needed for it to sound it's best is absolutely not reasonable for most guys in their houses. I will say that. So I can see why some people mislabeled the mkiii at least in these regards.

🤘
This is one of my pet peeves. People that dont play amps at wall shaking, hit you in the chest with palm mutes fucking volume and then describe an amp...

I practice with axe efx

Just curious how does the herbert model compare to the actual amp?

You use a tube power amp ?

Ever slaved the axefx preamp from something else in there like a rodded marshall, through the power section of the herbert?

🍉

This is one of my pet peeves. People that dont play amps at wall shaking, hit you in the chest with palm mutes fucking volume and then describe an amp...

That is definitely always something I found interesting. The amount of reviews that were given for amps that began with...

"I played _________ in the local music store today, and I gotta say it was fuzzy and undefined. Blah blah fuckinggggg blahhhhh"

And it's ALWAYS a high wattage tube amp they are shitting on. Having zero clue about what that amp was capable of. And it's happened WAY more than actual hands on experience when you read opinions, alot of those are based on other opinions... which started in some local music store with the volumes on 1 through a store guitar.

The amount of people who have said "a mesa rectifier has to have a boost because its muddy" without ever having played one whatsoever is a prime example of the phenomenon that happens with gear and opinions and n00b ass amateurs. Thousands of people say that without ever having owned one or played one at volume with good settings. I owned many of them and I found out, for me anyway, those people were all full of absolute shit. That's when I KNEW opinions online were to be guilty until proven otherwise in the court of tone. Aka... a RIFF BATTLE. 🤣 🤣

Just curious how does the herbert model compare to the actual amp?

You use a tube power amp ?

Ever slaved the axefx preamp from something else in there like a rodded marshall, through the power section of the herbert?

🍉
The Herbert modeler is my fav tone on the axefx . But I’ll say this : it’s sounds nothing like a Diezel . Lol but it’s my fav .
I just found it stil fake through an amp . Something is still missing . I could many people like axe efx though an amp . Idk
Yo each their own

The Herbert modeler is my fav tone on the axefx . But I’ll say this : it’s sounds nothing like a Diezel . Lol but it’s my fav .
I just found it stil fake through an amp . Something is still missing . I could many people like axe efx though an amp . Idk
Yo each their own

Many have said the modeled Amps, sometimes "improve" on the shortcomings of the real amps, based on historical criticism..

Probably why you hear a tweaked version perhaps 🤔

I just reallly never have liked an amp without it . Amps now are made with too much gain in them . There’s a special tone in an amp but sll the bad parts on every amp eliminated I want any high gain amp with out a gate . I believe the thing people hate gates is glorious to me . When I turn up the gain on my amps there a cool tone that comes with that . But gain brings nasty shit too . So it’s a battle I play with each amp . There’s a special zone there .i truly believe the Larry will different
If an amp needs a noise gate in the high gain channel, then the designer has done something wrong, too little knowledge or too little experience.

Maybe he should consider attending seminars with me called:

'How to design high gain tube amps with low noise floor'

If an amp needs a noise gate in the high gain channel, then the designer has done something wrong, too little knowledge or too little experience.

Maybe he should consider attending seminars with me called:

'How to design high gain tube amps with low noise floor'
I have always thought this..my question though: Does this include if you boost it?

I have always thought this..my question though: Does this include if you boost it?
If a high gain amp is properly designed, then you no longer need a boost because it's all included in the amp.

My high gain amps (Dino, PMM, Rock Wizard) all have integrated boost functions, have more gain than you ever need - and compared to other amps with the same gain and volume setting, they are the ones with the lowest background noise.

That's not what I'm saying, it's what studio owners say, who have often compared it during recordings.

If a high gain amp is properly designed, then you no longer need a boost because it's all included in the amp.

My high gain amps (Dino, PMM, Rock Wizard) all have integrated boost functions, have more gain than you ever need - and compared to other amps with the same gain and volume setting, they are the ones with the lowest background noise.

That's not what I'm saying, it's what studio owners say, who have often compared it during recordings.
No judgement. My amp doesnt need a boost or a gate. But a lot of them need one and some two. It is a shame

No judgement. My amp doesnt need a boost or a gate. But a lot of them need one and some two. It is a shame
I'm delighted for you. Then you have made a good choice.

But unfortunately it is actually the case that there are a lot of more or less useless amps on the market.

I already had well-known amps on my bench and was about to start troubleshooting until the owner told me that all of these types had so much background noise. I don't want to mention names.

Back