Bogner Uberschall Rev Green vs Uber Ultra

• Thread starter Thread starter MrWoodchuck
  • Start date Start date
As the manual for the UU states, cranking the density knob on the UU all the way clockwise gets it into Rev 2 territory. The UU is a bit more upper-mid focused with a tighter bottom end, and the Rev 2 is more scooped, sits more in the lower mids like most Bogner amps, and with a much fatter bottom end. They are both different amps for sounds that players were looking for in different eras.

To me, the UU was what the Twin Jet should’ve been—super tight, aggressive, articulate, and metal-focused. The Twin Jet I owned was tighter than my Rev 2, but still needed a boost to get there.

As the manual for the UU states, cranking the density knob on the UU all the way clockwise gets it into Rev 2 territory. The UU is a bit more upper-mid focused with a tighter bottom end, and the Rev 2 is more scooped, sits more in the lower mids like most Bogner amps, and with a much fatter bottom end. They are both different amps for sounds that players were looking for in different eras.

To me, the UU was what the Twin Jet should’ve been—super tight, aggressive, articulate, and metal-focused. The Twin Jet I owned was tighter than my Rev 2, but still needed a boost to get there.
I found cranking the density made the amp more closed and less close to my Ecstasy 101b or old Uberschall's. When I put the density to 0/10 it sounded more open to my ears, though I usually preferred density at 5/10 when recording with it.

I believe the morph knob is determining how much of that 3 way toggle you're getting. (Doom, tight, and whatever else it was)

I would also play around with that along with density full to try to cop the Rev 2 tones...it can get close imo but not 100%

The Uber Ultra 6L6 is the best high gainer ever in my opinion. So many sounds on tap. INCREDIBLE AMP. Nice to hear you here. Your playing is instantly recognizable and that is a good thing.

The rev2 has more of that top end sizzle, which i like. The Ultra clips i've heard all have this 'blanked over the speaker' type tone that my ear doesn't love. Hard to describe but I've heard it in every UU clip

The rev2 has more of that top end sizzle, which i like. The Ultra clips i've heard all have this 'blanked over the speaker' type tone that my ear doesn't love. Hard to describe but I've heard it in every UU clip
All about how you dial it in. Tons of sizzle if you want or need it. No end to where you can go with it.

Agreed on the blanket over the speaker on the UU. That's why I sold mine and got the Rev2. I could never dial out the filtered tone of the Uber Ultra and find my Ecstasy 101b, Helios Eclipse, and Uber Rev2 are all more open sounding which I prefer.

Full mix comparisons:

Very nice mate!

Yep I still hear it perfectly here.

The UU definitely has that filtered sound where the high mids and highs are just missing.

These frequencies are instantly there with your Rev2.
Makes the amp sound more up front and in your face.

The rectos have these same nice frequencies too.

I also like that the Rev2 has less options to tweak and the sound is just there.

I despise amps that can't get really really bright & present with tons of upper mid grind. The UU has gobs of high end and upper mids, just need to dial with your ears. Extremely cutting, present, in your face when dialed that way.

Last edited:
Very nice mate!

Yep I still hear it perfectly here.

The UU definitely has that filtered sound where the high mids and highs are just missing.

These frequencies are instantly there with your Rev2.
Makes the amp sound more up front and in your face.

The rectos have these same nice frequencies too.

I also like that the Rev2 has less options to tweak and the sound is just there.
Yeah the Rev2 reminds me of a Revf Dual Rectifier mixed with a supercharged Ecstasy 101b.

I despise amps that can't get really really bright & present with tons of upper mid grind. The UU has gobs of high end and upper mids, just need to dial with your ears. Extremely cutting, present, in your face, extremely, when dialed that way.
I made this video going through every mode on the Uber Ultra while turning all the pots. I personally couldn't get rid of the filtered EQ curve it has. It's a great amp for metal but I just lean to a more open sound. You can open up the amp somewhat by rolling the density all the way off.

I made this video going through every mode on the Uber Ultra while turning all the pots. I personally couldn't get rid of the filtered EQ curve it has. It's a great amp for metal but I just lean to a more open sound. You can open up the amp somewhat by rolling the density all the way off.

The filtered/synthetic thing is why I almost offed it immediately. I come from playing mostly Wizards, Fryette, Naylor, etc, more open/organic amps. But I found some great relatively unfiltered more open tones on Ch1 with an OD out front and then Ch2 crunch double boosted with on board and OD out front. Fairly compressed sure, but not near as filtered/synthetic. Just a balls out great tone/feel. But we're all different for sure.

I think in a way I agree with everyone here. The UU for me actually could get plenty cutting (in some ways more than my Rev 1), punchy, powerful and not too compressed for me, but the tone itself was just super filtered and cardboardy with really no warmth/richness to it and the notes did not connect well or have the signature Bogner chewiness or greasy feel of the Rev 1. Ch 1 was better in many ways, but still for me too lacking in those areas. I kept it for a bit since I liked it’s power and punch, but then vs my Hell Razor the UU got outdone in those departments and sounded sort of underwater in comparison, but other amps besides the UU can also have that effect vs that amp. I’ve grown to really hate that filtered sound (and feel). Many modern amps and even some modded Marshall’s have that sound unfortunately. For me at least I can never find an amp to really be inspiring or magical if it’s filtered like that. It really takes away from the experience for me

Last edited:

Based off this video, I don't think you understand how the Morph control works and in my opinion that is key for this amp.

Based off this video, I don't think you understand how the Morph control works and in my opinion that is key for this amp.
I haven't watched through my whole video for a bit but the metamorph is a pot to dial in the tight or fat amount. For me it didn't open up the amp more but tightened or thickened depending on what you want to go for. I liked the fat and metamorph for more lead playing.

Last edited:
I think in a way I agree with everyone here. The UU for me actually could get plenty cutting (in some ways more than my Rev 1), punchy, powerful and not too compressed for me, but the tone itself was just super filtered and cardboardy with really no warmth/richness to it and the notes did not connect well or have the signature Bogner chewiness or greasy feel of the Rev 1. Ch 1 was better in many ways, but still for me too lacking in those areas. I kept it for a bit since I liked it’s power and punch, but then vs my Hell Razor the UU got outdone in those departments and sounded sort of underwater in comparison, but other amps besides the UU can also have that effect vs that amp. I’ve grown to really hate that filtered sound (and feel). Many modern amps and even some modded Marshall’s have that sound unfortunately. For me at least I can never find an amp to really be inspiring or magical if it’s filtered like that. It really takes away from the experience for me
Yeah I didn't spend a ton of time on channel 1 since I wanted the amp for channel 2 and how it could tighten up. I found myself gravitating to the default Uber modes on both channels versus ultra which is ultimately why I ended up selling it and grabbing the rev green.

Back