In Flames - Marshall MD61 High Gain Prototype Head - Rig Rundown

angelspade

Thought some of you guys might be interested in this. New In Flames rig rundown - Skip to the 8:30 mark. Bjorn is running a Marshall prototype high-gain head they are calling "MD61". It appears to be a simplified JVM style head that includes a noise gait and a"filter" knob. This info may already be out there, but this is the first I've seen of it.

Thought some of you guys might be interested in this. New In Flames rig rundown - Skip to the 8:30 mark. Bjorn is running a Marshall prototype high-gain head they are calling "MD61". It appears to be a simplified JVM style head that includes a noise gait and a"filter" knob. This info may already be out there, but this is the first I've seen of it.

Ohhhh...

That amp is sexual af 😍

Video is set you show the amp right away. (5:16 Mark) It's the last amp you see in the row on the far left. Different logo than the one In Flames in using.

Re-record the album? Yeah. Well, a few songs off the album for its 20th anniversary.

I'm not sure how sales went for them, but it sounded horrible, LOL. They kinda took the "d00d u n33d midz to cut thru da mix" approach, and so the guitars sound like they were recorded through a cellphone speaker compared to the original, LOL.
I’ll check it out

The MD61 is a prototype but not exactly new. It was designed to be a replacement for the JCM2000 but they went with the DSL reissue instead. So that was around 2012-2013. The 3 channels are the Clean OD1 and OD2 of the DSL.
The filter is like the "Tone Shift" button on the DSL but this is 3 position switch, so 1 is like the Tone Shift off, 2 has some mid shift and 3 is the Tone Shift of the DSL in its "On" position. The gate is the 2203KK gate. The Reverb is the digital reverb they use on the JVM. So it's basically a JCM2000 with some extra functionality borrowed from other amps.
Harmony Central did a write-up on it and I remember seeing pictures of it back then, but they quickly took it down and never mentioned it again.
I had never seen one actually being used. That's pretty cool. I don't think they will ever release it though.

Last edited:
The MD61 is a prototype but not exactly new. It was designed to be a replacement for the JCM2000 but they went with the DSL reissue instead. So that was around 2012-2013. The 3 channels are the Clean OD1 and OD2 of the DSL.
The filter is like the "Tone Shift" button on the DSL but this is 3 position switch, so 1 is like the Tone Shift off, 2 has some mid shift and 3 is the Tone Shift of the DSL in its "On" position. The gate is the 2203KK gate. The Reverb is the digital reverb they use on the JVM. So it's basically a JCM2000 with some extra functionality borrowed from other amps.
Harmony Central did a write-up on it and I remember seeing pictures of it back then, but they quickly took it down and never mentioned it again.
I had never seen one actually being used. That's pretty cool. I don't think they will ever release it though.

Thanks for the info and welcome!

image.jpg

They actually did that ?
right!?!? they took the album with the damn near perfect production already, and rerecorded it in "new era in flames" production style, which means amateur home digital studio sounding. not sure why they didn't just re-record a more Lunar Strain material like they did on Colony. something that was WORTH rerecording.

Re-record the album? Yeah. Well, a few songs off the album for its 20th anniversary.

I'm not sure how sales went for them, but it sounded horrible, LOL. They kinda took the "d00d u n33d midz to cut thru da mix" approach, and so the guitars sound like they were recorded through a cellphone speaker compared to the original, LOL.
The in flames re recording is such ass man. Them and dimmu borgir did the same thing. It’s like their tinnitus is so bad they both think that sounds good. No high end and cardboard mids mids mids.

The layout is more DSL based. I don't like the fact it doesn't have a resonance knob, instead it has the deep switch. Why put Reverb on there, useless IMO. It's been around for awhile as @GuitarBilly stated above. If it has the JVM 410 OD1 tones in there I'd for check it out. I wonder if Santiago had anything to do with it.

Last edited:
The layout is more DSL based. I don't like the fact it doesn't have a resonance knob, instead it has the deep switch. Why put Reverb on there, useless IMO. I believe it's been around for a couple years but if it has the JVM 410 OD1 tones in there I'd for check it out.
I'm with you. I prefer a Resonance Knob also.

right!?!? they took the album with the damn near perfect production already, and rerecorded it in "new era in flames" production style, which means amateur home digital studio sounding. not sure why they didn't just re-record a more Lunar Strain material like they did on Colony. something that was WORTH rerecording.
Ya . I agree

Back