In Flames - Marshall MD61 High Gain Prototype Head - Rig Rundown

• Thread starter Thread starter angelspade
  • Start date Start date
Would be nice for Marshall to release something that guitar players would want to buy and not have to mod to sound like something better than it is on its own.
They just need to update the JVM series...Slight mods, noise-gate...Maybe a choke. Simple.

They just need to update the JVM series...Slight mods, noise-gate...Maybe a choke. Simple.
I played a JVM410H that wasn't terrible - loads of gain, too much - definitely needed a gate and would have room for improvement like you said. Guess they go by the "if it aint broke" adage. But a new amp every 10-15 years might be cool - not just lower wattage versions of their legacy models.

Would be nice for Marshall to release something that guitar players would want to buy and not have to mod to sound like something better than it is on its own.
Like, ya know, the hot rodded plexi we've been asking forever?

The in flames re recording is such ass man. Them and dimmu borgir did the same thing. It’s like their tinnitus is so bad they both think that sounds good. No high end and cardboard mids mids mids.

I refuse to believe the remix of puritanical even exists…I block it out like a bad sexual experience with a priest…it is far and away the worst remix I’ve ever heard. Clayman being the second. Puritanical is worse to me because the remix is just the complete antithesis of what that style of music represents, and of course the original version IS FUCKING PERFECT PERIOD. Clayman is too as well, but puritanical gets the win for the worst remix ever due to the cultural significance of that record to me, and how extremely different it is.

They got pretty close with the Satriani signature JVM. That amp is pretty good and has the gate. They should re-release it just as a regular amp.
Problem with that amp...for me was they basically neutered it in terms of gain per Joe. The updates totally agree with the Gates, Serial Loop and revoiced Crunch Channel. The rest, take right from the JVM410...no way should they mess with OD1 - that is the sweet spot of that series. I'd leave OD2 alone as well.

The choke? Yeah sure why not, my modded JVM had a choke but frankly it really didn't do much, maybe a bit more sag. I dumped my Satch model rather quickly, didn't keep my modded JVM long as well...I just prefer the stock 410 but I would love to see the amp updated.

Problem with that amp...for me was they basically neutered it in terms of gain per Joe. The updates totally agree with the Gates, Serial Loop and revoiced Crunch Channel. The rest, take right from the JVM410...no way should they mess with OD1 - that is the sweet spot of that series. I'd leave OD2 alone as well.

The choke? Yeah sure why not, my modded JVM had a choke but frankly it really didn't do much, maybe a bit more sag. I dumped my Satch model rather quickly, didn't keep my modded JVM long as well...I just prefer the stock 410 but I would love to see the amp updated.
Yeah man, the JVM line came out in 2007. That's 17 years without a new flagship amp. 17 years!!! They used to release a new series every 8-10 years.
The whole "mod/hotrod" industry exists because Marshall is asleep at the wheel.
They could have a modern high gain line and basically print money. Jose style amps, channel switchers with modern features etc everything other companies are doing instead of them. I don't get it.

Yeah man, the JVM line came out in 2007. That's 17 years without a new flagship amp. 17 years!!! They used to release a new series every 8-10 years.
The whole "mod/hotrod" industry exists because Marshall is asleep at the wheel.
They could have a modern high gain line and basically print money. Jose style amps, channel switchers with modern features etc everything other companies are doing instead of them. I don't get it.
Totally agree man.

If I'm them, I release this - I'm talking big amps as gotta give them props as they've done well on the smaller heads. As for IR's, I really think Marshall should partner with someone. They could do a new take on their old Speaker Emulator, the original one was fantastic for it's era, now partner with someone like Two Notes and develop something specifically for Marshall. Two Notes is getting their cut and their branding out there.

• Modded 800 - right out of the box enough gain and punch, no pedal needed. Plant the flag, prove the naysayers wrong. Afterall this is the mod platform.
  • Modded Plexi - with all the Jose style tweeks. Same as above with the 800, these are "the" two mod platforms.
  • Modded 800 - call it the 802 and add dual masters and dual gain pots. New take on a classic that many modders go ahead and do.
  • Updated JVM - call it the JVM 100 and JVM 50. Midi. Dual Masters, Dual Gates, Res, Pres controls. Channel one with three modes - clean, breakup, 800. Then, a switchable OD1/OD2 button that brings in green, orange and red of the 410. That way if you want the classic high gain OD1 from the 410 you got it, or if you want the modern high gain tone of OD2 you got it all in one strip. No reverb. All knobs on a single row, not the stacked rows of the 410/205/210 which freaks the novice out. Serial Loop on back. I'd snap that up the day it was released.
  • Modded Jubilee - with built OD pedal.
  • MD61 - update that with knobs for Res, drop the Reverb and then drop the entire DSL line. This takes it's place.

I'd also get back with Slash and finish that amp that he was prototyping a few years that apparently everyone loved. Also got to get some other high profile players back in the fold. If that means signature models, do it.

All made in the UK as well. Lastly, work on lowering that pricing.

As for pedals, since other companies have stolen the circuit why not release a Noise Gate Pedal, priced right it would knock a dent in a few "boutique" guys pedal business. I also think I would repackage the currently lineup of pedals, same guts just smaller footprints. And I think I would do a Marshall in a Box style pedal with IR ala Friedman, Victory.

I'm just waiting to be hired lol.

Last edited:
Totally agree man.

If I'm them, I release this - I'm talking big amps as gotta give them props as they've done well on the smaller heads. As for IR's, I really think Marshall should partner with someone. They could do a new take on their old Speaker Emulator, the original one was fantastic for it's era, now partner with someone like Two Notes and develop something specifically for Marshall. Two Notes is getting their cut and their branding out there.

Modded 800 - right out of the box enough gain and punch, no pedal needed. Plant the flag, prove the naysayers wrong. Afterall this is the mod platform.
Modded 800 - call it the 802 and add dual masters and dual gain pots. New take on a classic that many modders go ahead and do.
Modded Plexi - with all the Jose style tweeks. Same as above with the 800.
Updated JVM - call it the JVM 100 and JVM 50. Dual Masters, Dual Gates, Res, Pres controls. Channel one with three modes - ultra clean, breakup, 800. Then OD1 from the 410 with green, orange and red. Midi. No reverb. All knobs on a single row, not the stacked rows of the 410/205/210 which freaks the novice out. Serial Loop on back. I'd snap that up the day it was released.
Modded Jubilee - with built OD pedal.
MD61 - update that with knobs for Res, drop the Reverb and then drop the entire DSL line. This takes it's place.

I'd also get back with Slash and finish that amp that he was prototyping a few years that apparently everyone loved. Also got to get some other high profile players back in the fold. If that means signature models, do it.

All made in the UK as well. Lastly, work on lowering that pricing.

As for pedals, since other companies have stolen the circuit why not release a Noise Gate Pedal, priced right it would knock a dent in a few "boutique" guys pedal business. I also think I would repackage the currently lineup of pedals, same guts just smaller footprints. And I think I would do a Marshall in a Box style pedal with IR ala Friedman, Victory.

I'm just waiting to be hired lol.
Yeah I've felt for a while that Marshall could really clean house with putting out some sort of Jose or other type of modded style amp. Like you say, they're the platform. Plus, there is so much info already out there that they wouldn't even have to start from scratch lol. Heck you'd think they'd want to do it even if their only intent was a money grab lol, but hopefully they'd do it right and really knock it out of the park.

• Modded 800 - right out of the box enough gain and punch, no pedal needed. Plant the flag, prove the naysayers wrong. Afterall this is the mod platform.
  • Modded Plexi - with all the Jose style tweeks. Same as above with the 800, these are "the" two mod platforms.
  • Modded 800 - call it the 802 and add dual masters and dual gain pots. New take on a classic that many modders go ahead and do.
  • Updated JVM - call it the JVM 100 and JVM 50. Midi. Dual Masters, Dual Gates, Res, Pres controls. Channel one with three modes - clean, breakup, 800. Then, a switchable OD1/OD2 button that brings in green, orange and red of the 410. That way if you want the classic high gain OD1 from the 410 you got it, or if you want the modern high gain tone of OD2 you got it all in one strip. No reverb. All knobs on a single row, not the stacked rows of the 410/205/210 which freaks the novice out. Serial Loop on back. I'd snap that up the day it was released.
  • Modded Jubilee - with built OD pedal.
  • MD61 - update that with knobs for Res, drop the Reverb and then drop the entire DSL line. This takes it's place.
Isn't it crazy that nearly all of this is available on the market - just not from Marshall?

How can they miss out on so many obvious opportunities?

And yeah, they SHOULD hire you lol

not sure why they didn't just re-record a more Lunar Strain material like they did on Colony. something that was WORTH rerecording.

Because not a single member of the band is still around from that time. The band that exists today is barely In Flames. The real heart of this band was Jesper and Glenn on guitars.

Because not a single member of the band is still around from that time. The band that exists today is barely In Flames. The real heart of this band was Jesper and Glenn on guitars.

This. Jesper was the heart and soul of the band, and his melodies on the early records are what set them apart.

You can literally here his alcoholism and disinterest get worse and worse as time goes on. Less and less atmosphere and triumphant major key maiden-isms, more and more nu-metal trash. They haven't made a decent record in like 20 years or something at this point.

Just a bunch of talentless hangers-on trying to make money off the legacy established by actual visionaries in the late 90s and early 2000s, attempting to inject Limp Bizkit, electronica, or whatever else the hot topic kids are listening to into the desiccated corpse they've been raping for a couple of decades.

Isn't it crazy that nearly all of this is available on the market - just not from Marshall?

How can they miss out on so many obvious opportunities?

And yeah, they SHOULD hire you lol

The weird/flat out bad thing is that it isn't just a few things that they miss out on to focus on something interesting, they do none of it and most people don't even consider them any more when they start looking for a pro grade amp. I've had a hot-rodded Plexi with creature comforts for 13 years, but it doesn't have a Marshall badge on it.

This. Jesper was the heart and soul of the band, and his melodies on the early records are what set them apart.

You can literally here his alcoholism and disinterest get worse and worse as time goes on. Less and less atmosphere and triumphant major key maiden-isms, more and more nu-metal trash. They haven't made a decent record in like 20 years or something at this point.

Just a bunch of talentless hangers-on trying to make money off the legacy established by actual visionaries in the late 90s and early 2000s, attempting to inject Limp Bizkit, electronica, or whatever else the hot topic kids are listening to into the desiccated corpse they've been raping for a couple of decades.

Yeah Jesper was definitely a large part of the reason that the early albums were as great as they were, but he was definitely not at his peak when the booze got the better of him.

At this point they're still pulling big crowds and good festival slots pretty much never playing any of that stuff, I think we just have to view it as a different band with the same name that's popular in their own right. The re-recording of the songs off Clayman was the moment for me where I realised that they were either deliberately pissing the old fans off or were just so convinced of the quality their low-flavour blandness that it would improve the old stuff.

Yeah Jesper was definitely a large part of the reason that the early albums were as great as they were, but he was definitely not at his peak when the booze got the better of him.

At this point they're still pulling big crowds and good festival slots pretty much never playing any of that stuff, I think we just have to view it as a different band with the same name that's popular in their own right. The re-recording of the songs off Clayman was the moment for me where I realised that they were either deliberately pissing the old fans off or were just so convinced of the quality their low-flavour blandness that it would improve the old stuff.

Yeah well the "in flames" of the last 20 years is lowest common denominator hot topic dog shit.

And the early shit Jesper wrote is era defining genius that (along with heartwork, dark tranquility's first couple and slaughter of the soul) inspired multiple entire genres of bands all over the world.

There's no mallcore bullshit like Lamb of God, Killswitch, etc, without them. There's no later period Avenged Sevenfold. There's no Crabcore or Polyphia and other emo hair homoeroticism - they wouldn't have a reference point for how to mix maiden and death metal.

Basically all these genres and bands owe Jesper, The Bjorler bros, and Mikael Stanne royalty checks.

And yes, many are this spiteful because In Flames is deliberately shitting on their fans.

There's no mallcore bullshit like Lamb of God, Killswitch, etc, without them.
Speaking of Lamb of God, that's another band that has been so disappointing ever since Resolution. Not quite on par with how groundbreaking In Flames was back in the day, but still amazing early work IMO. Now, I'm amazed how a band can essentially write the same song over and over again and put out album after album.

I haven't listened to In Flames in yearssssss, so I went and listened to the re-recorded Clayman. Maybe I just don't dig that sound anymore, but I like the new one way better. Especially on my phone, the original is muddy AF and the instruments all just kinda smush together except the bass drum, which is insanely loud. The new version has a ton more clarity and I can actually hear what's going on. The old one is cool through a decent system because it sounds bigger, but I don't think most people are listening to music that way anymore 🤷‍♂️

I wonder if those were the ones they used to re-record Clayman. The tone on that re-recording is horrible, LOL.
Yeah talk about a totally unnecessary remake. Actually I don’t think there has ever been a necessary remake. Remixes/Remasters are usually bad enough.

I haven't listened to In Flames in yearssssss, so I went and listened to the re-recorded Clayman. Maybe I just don't dig that sound anymore, but I like the new one way better. Especially on my phone, the original is muddy AF and the instruments all just kinda smush together except the bass drum, which is insanely loud. The new version has a ton more clarity and I can actually hear what's going on. The old one is cool through a decent system because it sounds bigger, but I don't think most people are listening to music that way anymore 🤷‍♂️
Yeah maybe they redid it to focus on retards who listen to music primarily through a tiny mono speaker. Welcome to the future!

Back