FS : Bogner Helios 50 & 100 amp

I know this forum is open to everyone but when someone post a for sale item with a ip address from Africa it should be a huge red flag for the monitoring system.

I think from now one when I purchase something here I’ll post in the add if I paid. That way only one person is getting taken and not 4 like the slo add.
The person was not originally posting from an African IP. The OP was hacked and it would have been impossible to know since they spoofed his IP.

The person was not originally posting from an African IP. The OP was hacked and it would have been impossible to know since they spoofed his IP.
Well shit. When I first saw the ad I check his profile and figured being a member since 2008 and making some recent posts he’s probably ok.

PayPal started my refund. Probably the last time I buy from a forum unfortunately.
Glad you're getting a refund. Sucks about not buying off forums.

I'm still open to purchasing on forums but I think this goes to show that more now than ever, you have to do your due diligence. Call the guy. Get his phone number. Shoot him a text and ask for a pic with today's date and your username. Ask for a FaceTime or Zoom meeting to have a look at the amp. A seller should never push back against these things and if they do or go dark, then your antenna should be up for a scam.

As a cybersecurity professional, this was interesting to me because the social engineering he did to pull of this scam took more work than most scammers are willing to do. He made posts, started new threads, was chatty and pleasant, and most of all: he knew about guitars. This wasn't some Russian kid in his basement pretending to be a Nigerian prince. This was a very targeted, sophisticated social engineering event. Very interesting.

Glad they’re sorting you out. I don’t mind buying from a forum as long as the person is cool enough to put my mind at ease. If they’re resistant than I don’t want to do business with them even if the item is legit. Sorry this happened
I buy and sell alot to and from the same people here, and usually don't stray from that group. "There's a lot of new feces here!"

I wouldn't stop doing deals here, but if I have to vet, forget it.

Glad you're getting a refund. Sucks about not buying off forums.

I'm still open to purchasing on forums but I think this goes to show that more now than ever, you have to do your due diligence. Call the guy. Get his phone number. Shoot him a text and ask for a pic with today's date and your username. Ask for a FaceTime or Zoom meeting to have a look at the amp. A seller should never push back against these things and if they do or go dark, then your antenna should be up for a scam.

As a cybersecurity professional, this was interesting to me because the social engineering he did to pull of this scam took more work than most scammers are willing to do. He made posts, started new threads, was chatty and pleasant, and most of all: he knew about guitars. This wasn't some Russian kid in his basement pretending to be a Nigerian prince. This was a very targeted, sophisticated social engineering event. Very interesting.
Thanks man. This was the first time I’ve had an issue buying here. Should have known the price was too good to be true but I had a sliver of hope maybe it had something to do with being the first run Helios without string on the front 🤷🏻‍♂️ lesson learned.

Definitely interesting how he pulled this off. My pp invoice had his name Johnny but after I paid, it showed Mostato ELLBIDO. Right then I knew I was scammed.

I buy and sell alot to and from the same people here, and usually don't stray from that group. "There's a lot of new feces here!"

I wouldn't stop doing deals here, but if I have to vet, forget it.

Same, I'm familiar with enough users that even if I haven't done any deals with them, I generally know others who have so I know they're legit

And unlike tgp, no one has ever been a complete asshole over something - not once

Back