SLO

• Thread starter Thread starter shar-vell Dan
  • Start date Start date

5150 in all models sound like a Peavey to me and they're not well made. But some folks get a rippin sound.
Ed always chose to make his products on the cheap.

Someone should have snagged the one up here last week for $2450.

If you ever get a chance to plug into one, turn it up....and up......much like a Wizard, the amp doesn't fall apart ever all the way to 11....with a boost pedal in front, it's very modded Marshall-y to me.
It's one of those 'have to play one in person' amps, IMO.

Agreed, an SLO is a "have to try in person" amp

I very much prefer them to 5150s and rectos

I've never owned one but remember playing through one once, and trying another in a store once (twice if you include the SLO 30)

Great amp. Was my dream amp for a while. I remember the store clerk wondering why I was turning the depth knob all the way on and I told him that that was how I remember the 100W sounding.

Almost bought it, but then I saw the price tag and it was around what I recalled the 100W was. Had such a "wtf" moment I just walked out of the store dazed.

It has that saggy spongy sound that never really gets congested and muddy. Simply amazing.

I remember loving the Overdrive channel, but pleasantly liking the Crunch channel even more, which was something that interestingly applies to the 6505 too lmao.

I've never owned one but remember playing through one once, and trying another in a store once (twice if you include the SLO 30)

Great amp. Was my dream amp for a while. I remember the store clerk wondering why I was turning the depth knob all the way on and I told him that that was how I remember the 100W sounding.

Almost bought it, but then I saw the price tag and it was around what I recalled the 100W was. Had such a "wtf" moment I just walked out of the store dazed.

It has that saggy spongy sound that never really gets congested and muddy. Simply amazing.

I remember loving the Overdrive channel, but pleasantly liking the Crunch channel even more, which was something that interestingly applies to the 6505 too lmao.

I prefer the crunch channel to the overdrive channel as well

The crunch channel, with the volume turned up to at least half, with a good boost in front is way tighter than everyone thinks an SLO is capable of

I prefer the crunch channel to the overdrive channel as well

The crunch channel, with the volume turned up to at least half, with a good boost in front is way tighter than everyone thinks an SLO is capable of

I mainly loved it for the dynamics. It kind of has a sound that I guess I'd describe as "driven American amp on steroids". Strong, crunchy fundamentals that cleans up very nicely with the volume knob rolled down.

449626070_10233451013395422_3034191384020938850_n.jpg

449948094_10233451013475424_230315006444914825_n.jpg

Yeah I saw that on FB just earlier too

Wanna give that a twirl too lol. Maybe I'll order a kit next year

What boosts did you use? What style of music were you playing?
At that time, I was more into 'amp gain only' so I was new in experimenting with boosts. What I used was an early Joyo Ultimate Drive and a Dano Fish n Chips EQ pedal, into a Jubilee 2554 combo/79 Marshall 412 with 65s. Double boosted I could play any Hard Rock tune my band did, anything from Whole Lotta Love to AIC, Ozzy, Journey, Kansas, Metallica etc. When I got the SLO, I found the EVH settings on the SLO forum and used them....If I remember, Bass at 5-7, mids 4-6, Presence dimed and treble to taste, usually 1-2 since the presence was so high. Gain on 4-6 on the lead channel...sounded good, but then I boosted it with the EQ pedal, frown mid bump and wow what a difference through 65s. To my ears it sounded totally different than straight in, and more modded Marshall.

At that time, I was more into 'amp gain only' so I was new in experimenting with boosts. What I used was an early Joyo Ultimate Drive and a Dano Fish n Chips EQ pedal, into a Jubilee 2554 combo/79 Marshall 412 with 65s. Double boosted I could play any Hard Rock tune my band did, anything from Whole Lotta Love to AIC, Ozzy, Journey, Kansas, Metallica etc. When I got the SLO, I found the EVH settings on the SLO forum and used them....If I remember, Bass at 5-7, mids 4-6, Presence dimed and treble to taste, usually 1-2 since the presence was so high. Gain on 4-6 on the lead channel...sounded good, but then I boosted it with the EQ pedal, frown mid bump and wow what a difference through 65s. To my ears it sounded totally different than straight in, and more modded Marshall.

Not sure why presence so high tho?

Not sure why presence so high tho?
I found that dialing my high end with the presence first, ie diming it, gave the amp the 'bite' I liked. Again, this was how EVH dialed his SLO supposedly, so I tried it and really liked the high end that way. I've done it this way ever since, with any/every amp I've had. Dime Presence, start with Treble at 0 and bring it up slowly. Works great with Marshalls too. Makes all the amps sound more aggressive. Sometimes it can be too much; but for the most part every amp I own is dialed that way. Try it sometime.

I found that dialing my high end with the presence first, ie diming it, gave the amp the 'bite' I liked. Again, this was how EVH dialed his SLO supposedly, so I tried it and really liked the high end that way. I've done it this way ever since, with any/every amp I've had. Dime Presence, start with Treble at 0 and bring it up slowly. Works great with Marshalls too. Makes all the amps sound more aggressive. Sometimes it can be too much; but for the most part every amp I own is dialed that way. Try it sometime.
A lot of super leads, cranking the presence was what put it in the zone. The difference even, between 3 O’Clock and maxed out on some I’ve owned and/or tried can be night and day on how alive the amp is.

Dialing the presence up high makes it sound much closer to a Marshall JCM. I do that sometimes. Someone noticed once when I had my SLO dialed in that way, and mentioned that's how Mick Mars set his.
I've had different 5150s and Rectos. They may have lifted from Soldano, but they don't sound or feel the same to me.
I love mine. It's versatile, can do all kinds of sound great. Solos sing. It's not the tightest chug machine. All I have to do is hit it with a pedal on either channel, and it turns into a beast. But I enjoy the softer, sweeter sounds more often.
I'm on my 3rd one, and BAD got it right, imo. Couple sound clips, using at lower volumes, delay and looper in the the effects loop.

Mello:

Clean to mean:

Basically all kinds of sounds rocking out with a Strat:

It's a stupid good amp.

Last edited:
Dialing the presence up high makes it sound much closer to a Marshall JCM. I do that sometimes. Someone noticed once when I had my SLO dialed in that way, and mentioned that's how Mick Mars set his.
I've had different 5150s and Rectos. They may have lifted from Soldano, but they don't sound or feel the same to me.
I love mine. It's versatile, can do all kinds of sound great. Solos sing. It's not the tightest chug machine. All I have to do is hit it with a pedal on either channel, and it turns into a beast. But I enjoy the softer, sweeter sounds more often.
I'm on my 3rd one, and BAD got it right, imo. Couple sound clips, both using at lower volumes, delay and looper in the the effects loop.

Mello:

Clean to mean:

Basically all kinds of sounds rocking out with a Strat:

It's a stupid good amp.

Sounds killer Bobby!

I may have to re visit the SLO, with a BAD version.
Just when I thought I was out, they PULL me back in!

Back