Vivian Campbell

• Thread starter Thread starter MrFlexx
  • Start date Start date
MrFlexx
MrFlexx
Anyone who know what neck it is on the Les Paul he's using with his band Last In Line and what pickups? Maybe you have full information about this particular guitar?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240708_223209_YouTube.jpg
    Screenshot_20240708_223209_YouTube.jpg
    576.1 KB · Views: 96
gibson-vivian-campbell-les-paul-custom@1400x560.jpg

His first LP was a Norlin era LP Deluxe im pretty sure.
He's a LP guy.
The Gibson CS model he has is really cool.
I do not know the profile but Norlins tend to be lunker chunkers.

His first LP was a Norlin era LP Deluxe im pretty sure.
He's a LP guy.
The Gibson CS model he has is really cool.
I do not know the profile but Norlins tend to be lunker chunkers.
Yeah, a '77 Deluxe that was wine red that he repainted matte black and basically changed everything, including routing for humbuckers.

He also has a '78 the story goes....That it was a Custom that got destroyed, but he salvaged the neck and had it put on an LP Standard body. I believe it was bastardized and painted black as well...

Last edited:
He stated that the main LP that he uses with Last In Line, is the same one that he owned when he played with DIO. So, the pictured guitar is more than likely the Deluxe that he painted. He claims that the pickups are "just regular Gibson pickups.....the same ones that have been in there for years".

He stated that the main LP that he uses with Last In Line, is the same one that he owned when he played with DIO. So, the pictured guitar is more than likely the Deluxe that he painted. He claims that the pickups are "just regular Gibson pickups.....the same ones that have been in there for years".
Can't be the same pickups. The original was a Deluxe which would have had mini humbuckers. Unless it's the '78 that is a Standard with a neck off a Custom, (but that with have binding on the headstock).

Also read somewhere that he's using Duncan Custom Shop versions of the 59 now

Makes sense considering he's been using ENGL amps for years now

Alot of respect for Viv, put his ego aside years ago to be second to Collen and represent Clark on the classics pretty faithfully. And a steady paycheck to play rock star for several decades obviously helps. Still kills me though knowing he can blow Collen into the weeds who's playing frankly just bugs the shit out of me. That said it was great to see Whitesnake with Viv and Adrian in pure gunslinger mode back in the day as well.

Alot of respect for Viv, put his ego aside years ago to be second to Collen and represent Clark on the classics pretty faithfully. And a steady paycheck to play rock star for several decades obviously helps. Still kills me though knowing he can blow Collen into the weeds who's playing frankly just bugs the shit out of me. That said it was great to see Whitesnake with Viv and Adrian in pure gunslinger mode back in the day as well.
Collen : "thats me sustainah" .... LOL. Sez that every interview.
Well i can't fault the guy he's true to his brands.
And at least they play some older hits that put them on the map.
The boys from Sheffield. I sure do miss Steve Clark. My local shop mid 80's had his sig LPC. Couldn't believe the coolness.

ajykxoauv8qoheqwejlf.jpg

7c5d823ff53829eb6721292259ad13b8.jpg

Last edited:
I saw Phil Collen do a clinic at a local store here in Tampa, and I was horrified. I quite frankly thought then, and still think today that his lead playing sucks. Period. He would just spazz out, get lost, lose what key he was in, and total annoying amateur noodling. If there was ever a poster boy for overrated, he'd be on the cover. Sure, he wrote great songs, great riffs, etc.. But, he flat out sucks as a lead guitarist. Vivian absolutely blows him out of the water.

But, he flat out sucks as a lead guitarist.

It was his solo in "Stagefright" on Pyromania that made the Leppard guys go "Hey, this guys rips. Maybe we should let him do another solo on another song and see how he does." and I think the solo in "Photograph" is a classic. Back then, he was fire. Now? Shrug. LOL

Back