Depth Control - Different Capacitor / Different Range & Feel

Have you tried inductors in the depth circuit? You can get that Uber bottom end. I can make my JCA 20 watt throw more bottom end than a full size recto.

My Mako Dorado has some sort of depth control in addition to the normal Depth. Looks like a small transformer/inductor added for that. It definitely adds the thump. Sounds like an active/powered sub-bass control. If you hooked it up to a crossover and powered woofer it would rattle the fillings out of your neighbor's teeth.

untitled_by_haftelm_dfem6ph-fullview.jpg

untitled_by_haftelm_dfem6pl-fullview.jpg

Alex Catlow helped me with some mods on an Evolve ST1 based build and I can't remember exactly what I did but I screwed up the depth mod and took me several days to figure it out. Ah now I remember, I had used Ceriatone Iron and had reversed the OT leads on the power tubes. Anyway I couldn't tell any sound differences and a few people told me that I would need to get the volume up before it would be apparent... blah blah.. once I corrected the OT connections it was very noticeable and awesome.

The NFB control on the KSR PA50 is why it's one of my favorite power amps. I would actually rather have that control over a resonance and presence

So a modder? I see.

Which one you yout modded?
I got an Ceriatone Plexi and an Origin 20 modded to his Eternal Classic with a foot switchable Solo Boost - still don't know why not every amp has one.... It goes from clean, to plexi to high gain (not to the insane amount, what is good). Awesome amps now with a great working master volume.

Care to share that JCA 20 full spec ??? Love that amp…
I shared it here years ago. Only one forum member actually took the time to build it. 🤣

The thread should be around somewhere here. I might have removed some pics since I caught wind some modder might have been selling the mods as his. I never got confirmation though.

Crazynuts did one for me, but I don’t think it has an inductor in the NFB circuit. Is that a later revision or just an experiment ?

Crazynuts did one for me, but I don’t think it has an inductor in the NFB circuit. Is that a later revision or just an experiment ?
I use a regular 1 meg .003uf/39k resistor depth circuit in my JCA20.

I was just pointing out that a lot can be done in the NFB/depth circuit.

Could you please check out my question above?
Use a pedal to tighten up a SLO, unless you want to get into some heavy modifications in the preamp section. Adding a depth pot just adds in more bottom end. There is no “taking away” effect of the depth pot unless you focus the values on mid range. At that point I really don’t know how it would sound since all of the amps I have modded have had a lot of midrange already and I wanted to add more bottom end.

Use a pedal to tighten up a SLO, unless you want to get into some heavy modifications in the preamp section. Adding a depth pot just adds in more bottom end. There is no “taking away” effect of the depth pot unless you focus the values on mid range. At that point I really don’t know how it would sound since all of the amps I have modded have had a lot of midrange already and I wanted to add more bottom end.
No, I would never want to mess up mine. It is has somewhat of a sentimental value to me.

I was just thinking if I should have ordered it with that Depth mod back then or not. But since it only adds bass, it doesn’t look like it would have been a good idea.

If I get ultrarich, I will buy a BAD version to experiment on 😁

Question regarding depth caps, I’ve seen schematics for some amps where two smaller value caps were used in parallel to arrive at the desired value instead of one cap and I’m curious if this changes the tone or if it’s more just a parts availability thing? I’ve also seen this in a tone stack on some amps again not sure what the audible difference would be if any. I’m interested to experiment with this either way but thought maybe someone would know.

Question regarding depth caps, I’ve seen schematics for some amps where two smaller value caps were used in parallel to arrive at the desired value instead of one cap and I’m curious if this changes the tone or if it’s more just a parts availability thing? I’ve also seen this in a tone stack on some amps again not sure what the audible difference would be if any. I’m interested to experiment with this either way but thought maybe someone would know.

It's most likely a parts availability thing. i.e. the builder had a bunch of 1,000pF caps and nothing else. OR... I had one infamous modder tell me he did that on purpose so when he saw other people doing the exact same thing with the same values, he knew they copied him. Almost like a signature of sorts. But that's incredibly egotistical and paranoid. So I don't really buy it. More likely parts availability.

For the laymen, how does what’s being discussed here relate to this?

View attachment 324900
That's the most basic depth control out there. 1 meg pot with a .0047uF cap across it. Then out to the NFB tap.

The .1uF cap is just blocking DC so the depth pot isn't scratchy. It WILL affect the tone, though. That .1uF is blocking very low frequencies so they won't be canceled out. I've tested this a lot. It does add low end. If you want to get silly, put a .0022uF cap there. See what it does...

Back