Hagar covering VH rehearsal

Overall pretty good. Satch is much closer to Eddie’s feel than Bonham is to Alex here. Drums feel off and not locked in to Anthony either.

fully in the roth>sam VH camp,

but did see the Circle at a corporate gig a few years back and Samuel still had pipes. would not be as stoked to see a Roth gig today unless it was no singing and pure storytelling.
I have them compartmented in my brain and two different bands to me. One is partying with the feedback guitars and crazy songs and the other write with keyboards and more radio friendly stuff.

I feel the same way about the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Metallica, and a bunch of other bands I like. It is like two separate periods.

I have them compartmented in my brain and two different bands to me. One is partying with the feedback guitars and crazy songs and the other write with keyboards and more radio friendly stuff.

I feel the same way about the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Metallica, and a bunch of other bands I like. It is like two separate periods.
I still remember when the Chili Peppers went lounge act and thought, you never go full Sugar Ray.

Overall pretty good. Satch is much closer to Eddie’s feel than Bonham is to Alex here. Drums feel off and not locked in to Anthony either.
I had the opposite initial reaction. I don’t really like Jason Bonhams drumming much. I’m a huge fan of his dad, but not really him.

To me, he sounds better doing VH in this video than he does otherwise. Maybe I’m nuts? I’ll have to listen again.

sounded pretty good to me, what jumps out at me is this is an elite guitar player, one of the most highly respected 'shredders" out there
and I love Joe ,been a huge fan forever, but even when Eddie played something simple it was still Eddie, his touch /feel was really unique.
Joe is sounding like Joe here 'doing Eddie, Joes way" which I guess is the goal now. just makes me appreciate Ed even more than I already do.

So I listened again more closely and I really dig Jason Bonham's playing in this video. That Alex VanHalen stuff is hard to play. He had a very unique thing going on and I think Jason B is doing a great job.

That's just my opinion. Not arguing with anyone (yet.) lol

I felt the exact same way. VH drums have to groove, and Bonham is playing a bit too straight ahead. It’s more metal drumming than Southern California Boogie Rock. It’s great drumming, but needs to swing more. Satriani is really nailing the feel in the vids I’ve seen. I’d pay to see this band.

He can't sell-out a 25-seater bar.

The new amp is amazing! They've managed to capture Joe's old DS-1 tones and it's just 5K!

That came out of your ass i hope...

Deraps is amazing at doing the Eddie thing, one of the better out there.

Do your homework man.

That came out of your ass i hope...

Deraps is amazing at doing the Eddie thing, one of the better out there.

Do your homework man.
He’s just another parrot. One of many. Hagar could have used Vic Johnson as well. IMO, a better player. He doesn’t sell tickets either.

I think the intent is to capture the spirit. There are a million imitators, but no one really sounds like Ed. They get close, but there's always that last little bit that no one touches. I think Joe is doing a good job. The new amp sounds great. If they come to Houston, I will definitely check it out.

Back