Herbert users ch2+ or ch3

saxxamafone

when playing the rhythm brootz riffing, do you Herbert users tend to sit more on ch2+ or ch3?

I keep flip flopping myself

All I know is I loved the Herbert MK1 that I had many years back!
I just didn't like carrying it! Weighed as much as a large 2x12.

Amazing amps though, no question!

I would hope so. I had Rev 1, the first change after the proto. What a disappointment.

That seems to be a really common thing with the diezels - the drastic changes from prototyping to production

It has set up an insane market for the prototype amps at the least, i guess

I've got a couple of buddies who swear by the new herbert though, it's apparently a big improvement with this revision

Mk1 here, I like both.
3 has more mids and is a bit more over the top saturated. More doom.
2+ is a bit clearer - more scooped.
Both have the same grind and sizzle in the breakup.
Herbert is one of my favourite amps, it’s so muscular sounding with an insane chainsaw swirling overdrive.

This may not be popular with everyone here..
IMO EL34 is a must for this amp.
KT77 is way too low mid heavy - mine came with these — couldn’t dial it out and couldn’t stand it.
6L6 too lifeless and sterile ( and I love 6L6’s)

Here's a question for you Herbert guys. Have any of you loaded yours up with several different types of tubes? As in 6l6s, el34s and kt88s all at once?

Here's a question for you Herbert guys. Have any of you loaded yours up with several different types of tubes? As in 6l6s, el34s and kt88s all at once?
I did that exact combo of tubes in my first herbert about 15 yrs ago, and at the time i thought it sounded better than it did when the amp only had el34 in it, i played it that way for a month and ended up trading it for a guitar, and from what i can remember the lows was a little bit tighter and bigger sounding and a little more scooped, but i never had a desire to do it again when i bought another herbert 6 months later, i personally like it with EL34 the best because it suits the voicing better imo.

Mk1 owner, I prefer channel 3 for rhythms. More saturated, less dry. Yes it’s less tight but it’s also fatter, and nothing a boost can’t fix. The mk 3 version I like a lot as well, but the 2nd channel for sure is the rhythm channel on that thing. Channel 3 on the mk3 I would absolutely never use for rhythms, just leads. The mk3 is great, less cloudy in the low mids than the mk1 but I still love the mk1 model just as much if not more personally.

I've heard the mkiii herbert is way less scooped and sterile than the first two revisions :dunno:

Haven't played one though
Some guy posted a comparison clip of vh4 and herbert. Both sounded amazing to me. I would love to try them both. I had a vh2 and it is one of the better amps i have played

Back