Herbert users ch2+ or ch3

• Thread starter Thread starter saxxamafone
  • Start date Start date
Some guy posted a comparison clip of vh4 and herbert. Both sounded amazing to me. I would love to try them both. I had a vh2 and it is one of the better amps i have played

I like the VH2 and VH4, they've got a specific sound that people either love or hate, but I like it

I was never a huge herbert fan, but as far as I understand the early prototypes sound very different from the first couple revisions, and the mark IIIs sound considerably different as well

Mk1 owner, I prefer channel 3 for rhythms. More saturated, less dry. Yes it’s less tight but it’s also fatter, and nothing a boost can’t fix. The mk 3 version I like a lot as well, but the 2nd channel for sure is the rhythm channel on that thing. Channel 3 on the mk3 I would absolutely never use for rhythms, just leads. The mk3 is great, less cloudy in the low mids than the mk1 but I still love the mk1 model just as much if not more personally.
Good to know there's differences between the revisions here.

i have a Mk1

I like the VH2 and VH4, they've got a specific sound that people either love or hate, but I like it

I was never a huge herbert fan, but as far as I understand the early prototypes sound very different from the first couple revisions, and the mark IIIs sound considerably different as well

I liked ch3 best. Very dry though, in my opinion.

Yup...The VH4 is probably one of the most polarizing amps ever made. players seem to absolutely adore them or despise them, very little in between. In any case, I can say it's probably one of the most unique sounding / feeling amps on the planet. No other amp does a good job at "imitating" the Diezel VH series of amps.

Either. Love them both. Note that I don't use a boost, just and emg81.

Real men don't use boost.
Here's a question for you Herbert guys. Have any of you loaded yours up with several different types of tubes? As in 6l6s, el34s and kt88s all at once?

Yes, I've done it many ways. KT88, 6l6, el34, kt77, 6550, multiple combinations of 3 different types. Biased each time. I've spent many hours going back and forth in the herbert with combos.

I always came back to the 6l6.
I do currently have the 34BHS (el34b) in the middle 2 sockets.

I found it likes all tubes biased colder not hotter.

PDiddy also said mixing tubes is dumb because it's like using out of phase speakers. (Peter Diezel said this) I have the screenshot somewhere on my phone.

It makes sense. And I think they sound the most clear with TAD 6l6 tubes across the board.

when playing the rhythm brootz riffing, do you Herbert users tend to sit more on ch2+ or ch3?

I keep flip flopping myself
If it's the mkiii, generally on 2+

The 3 channel is cool with the gain around 10 o'clock. And mixes with other amps well. If I'm playing JUST the herbert, 2+ brings the goods.

If it's the mkiii, generally on 2+

The 3 channel is cool with the gain around 10 o'clock. And mixes with other amps well. If I'm playing JUST the herbert, 2+ brings the goods.
I’m on a mk1

I’ve heard there’s a bigger different in ch3 of the mk1s vs mk3

I’m on a mk1

I’ve heard there’s a bigger different in ch3 of the mk1s vs mk3

I’ve owned every version, multiple times, they’re all pretty close that can be compensated with EQ adjustments, though I’ve tended to like the mk3 the best.

Channel 2- with an outboard boost is my current preference…. Seems to help mitigate some of the compression

I’ve owned every version, multiple times, they’re all pretty close that can be compensated with EQ adjustments, though I’ve tended to like the mk3 the best.

Channel 2- with an outboard boost is my current preference…. Seems to help mitigate some of the compression
This is what I have found 2- with a boost!

The mid cut at 9 o'clock seems to help that.

I don't boost. But I can't imagine boosting a herbert. Some amps, like a savage just sound worse with one. Seems like a herbert will do the same. But just to test this shit out, I'm going to pull out a boost later and try channel 2-.

This is what I have found 2- with a boost!

What type of boost cult is this?
This is like buying a Ferarri F-50 and running it in 2nd gear with a ceiling fan attached to its ass.

Y'all need to stop. 🫸✋🫷

This is like buying a Ferarri F-50 and running it in 2nd gear with a ceiling fan attached to its ass.

Y'all need to stop. 🫸✋🫷

Do you use high output pick up’s or PAFs? Everything makes a difference in the total signal chain. A boost with a PAF is really just like another guy using something like a BK Warpig…just adding to the signal in a different way.

Last edited:
Do you use high output pick up’s or PAFs? Everything makes a difference in the total signal chain. A boost in a PAF is really just like another guy using something like a BK Warpig

For me the issue with boost is losing the dynamics a little bit on picking hand.

I've also seen guys who pick like a lil soft bunny rabbit and the only way for them to get that to sound in any way powerful is to boost the shit out of their amp. That's fine of it works for their stuff.

I do enjoy a warpig. MOJO sledgehammer. Black winter. Sh6 pretty decent. Had actives and a few BKP before kind of settling in this area for now.

And while we're on pickups. I'm really considering trying the tone nerd Whiskey or Roxy. And my favorite arcane pickup is a 13k output. I consider that medium output. I didn't even boost rectifiers and they were tight enough for fast playing when dialed "weirdly".

. Everytime I try to boost an amp, I always go back to the amp itself and I think it has alot to do with how I palm and pick the strings heavily. If I play light handed with the amps they sound weak and not as tight. If I dig in and play precisely like I prefer they sound heavy and tight pretty much every time. To me this is dynamics. Not everyone dials for that or plays like that obviously. And it is more fatiguing if not used to it. A dry amp always sounds good under this type of playing to me also. Some hate that dry stiff feeling because it'd "hard" to play. I also understand boost can add some squish or give for those type of players.

But I'm still going to try that later today just to see what it sounds like for kicks.

Out of curiosity....
What pickups are you playing? You said paff but there's so many types of paff now. What is thr DC resistance range you enjoy?

Out of curiosity....
What pickups are you playing? You said paff but there's so many types of paff now. What is thr DC resistance range you enjoy?

The beauty of a boost pedal is that it can be turned on/off. I’m not a boost all the time type of person. I really use when going into the low inputs on the amp or if I want razor tight. I prefer amps that are bright, dry, tight and uncompressed. If you get some volume most amps will open up and tighten up. Boosts are great at getting there at less deafening volumes. That’s especially true with an amp like the Herbert.

My guitars have… BK Ceramic Nail Bomb, EMG 57, EMG hot 70 and a custom Kent Armstrong in my Hufschmid. They’re on the hotter side, but I also like the Suhr Thornbuckerd…but recently sold my guitar with those .

The beauty of a boost pedal is that it can be turned on/off. I’m not a boost all the time type of person. I really use when going into the low inputs on the amp or if I want razor tight. I prefer amps that are bright, dry, tight and uncompressed. If you get some volume most amps will open up and tighten up. Boosts are great at getting there at less deafening volumes. That’s especially true with an amp like the Herbert.

My guitars have… BK Ceramic Nail Bomb, EMG 57, EMG hot 70 and a custom Kent Armstrong in my Hufschmid. They’re on the hotter side, but I also like the Suhr Thornbuckerd…but recently sold my guitar with those .

That's the one active I wanted to try was the 57. But I converted all to passive so that'd be a whole new guitar adventure there and I still have passives I want to try.

The mid cut at 9 o'clock seems to help that.

I don't boost. But I can't imagine boosting a herbert. Some amps, like a savage just sound worse with one. Seems like a herbert will do the same. But just to test this shit out, I'm going to pull out a boost later and try channel 2-.

Y'all need to stop. 🫸✋🫷
Lol. I wouldn't say I'm a boost kind of guy per se. I use all three channels. I like the 2- with a boost to get a more "raw" type crunch tone. 2 plus for a heavy rhythm tone etc. Its just another flavor. The band I play in covers quite a variety of genres.

That's the one active I wanted to try was the 57. But I converted all to passive so that'd be a whole new guitar adventure there and I still have passives I want to try.

It's grown on me, but I'm not 100% sold on it. I had 2 ESPs with 57s so I changed the one to Hot 70 as that's supposed to be more passive with a ceramic magnet (which I tend to prefer). The 70 is alright, but I think I'm going to go with a BK Silos in that guitar and CBomb in the 57 guitar at some point.

Back