Captor X or Ox for better results?

• Thread starter Thread starter marshallmel
  • Start date Start date
marshallmel
marshallmel
How many of you have used both to record direct? Tried the Captor X and wasn’t satisfied at all with the results I got. UA Volt 2 interface into Ableton was what I was using.

Is neither an option? I hated my Captor X and never cared for the Ox's approach. Vastly prefer my Suhr RLIR or any other high quality reactive load out there such as Fryette, st.Rock, Redseven, etc.

Is neither an option? I hated my Captor X and never cared for the Ox's approach. Vastly prefer my Suhr RLIR or any other high quality reactive load out there such as Fryette, st.Rock, Redseven, etc.
Neither is absolutely an option. Lol
Tried regular mics on a speaker and it was ok. Best results I’ve achieved so far have been my iPhone with a usb-c mic plugged into it.

St. Rock just came out with the React IR v2, I would look into that, or a Suhr RL IR. Either one will be miles better than a Captor X or the Ox Box.

I'm on the opposite. I like both units. A friend of mine said his Captor X sounded awful but he really had no idea how to use the unit or set things up. I showed him and lo and behold, so much better.

The Captor X works great for recording as does the OX. I'd give the OX an edge as the included FX and cabinet models are really solid but the Captor X has many, many cabinets to choose from and sample.

However, as an attenuator....neither of them.

St rock is the best, would take a Suhr after that.
The v2 is great, recommend you grab one before they realize they need to double the price. He’ll you can use it straight into your PC for recording via USB. The attenuator is icing on the cake

I'm getting amazing results recording direct with a Suhr RL into the DAW with Amplitube as my IR loader. I also record with a Royer 121 and a 57 on physical cabs and the IRs are often times better.

The below songs were all done with the Captor X into a UA interface. I was very happy with the results. I haven't used the OX and have no intention to as I don't care for their output format.

Really that noticeable? Dang, I'll look it up.
Captor is junk. Doesn’t react how an amp would into a cab. Seems good at the moment then you compare it to an actual micd cab and it’s just way off to how an amp reacts. The st rock with the reactive resonance gets closer than anything, and it’s not even close.

I love my captor x.

Sounds amazing to me, as good as my real cabs......in fact so good, that I don't bother moving my cabs from my guitar cave to my studio anymore.

Last edited:
The Ox seems to have a depth that the Captor does but I am not sure if it does "that" much more to warrant the price. Honestly, hard to beat a mic. I know some of you guys struggle with mic'ing but you lose dynamics with IR's. That said, there are some amazing IR's now but I think you can get caught in option paralysis. The St. Rock interests me... or, get a line out box between your amp and load and tap off that so you minimize the load's effect on your direct signal.

The below songs were all done with the Captor X into a UA interface. I was very happy with the results. I haven't used the OX and have no intention to as I don't care for their output format.

Good example of how good IR's can sound even though I still prefer mics. What IR's were you using?

The Ox seems to have a depth that the Captor does but I am not sure if it does "that" much more to warrant the price. Honestly, hard to beat a mic. I know some of you guys struggle with mic'ing but you lose dynamics with IR's. That said, there are some amazing IR's now but I think you can get caught in option paralysis. The St. Rock interests me... or, get a line out box between your amp and load and tap off that so you minimize the load's effect on your direct signal.
The st rock you cannot tell the difference. I’ve done my own irs with it going back and forth and it’s that good.

Here’s a demo.

The st rock you cannot tell the difference. I’ve done my own irs with it going back and forth and it’s that good.

Here’s a demo.

I hear a difference but very very close. Not enough to think I wouldn't be able to use it. Might check that out as loud mic'ing isn't always practical ( even though my soundproof room is almost ready)

Good example of how good IR's can sound even though I still prefer mics. What IR's were you using?
For those recordings I used two Own Hammer EVH 412 IRs. 57-2 and 121-1. I have since moved to using the TwoNotes DynIR of the EVH 412 cab. I find them to be very good and it allows me to fully utilize all of the features in the Captor X.

I mainly use the Captor x for live situations to eliminate crappy bar mics. Here are those...

Last edited:
For those recordings I used two Own Hammer EVH 412 IRs. 57-2 and 121-1. I have since moved to using the TwoNotes DynIR of the EVH 412 cab. I find them to be very good and it allows me to fully utilize all of the features in the Captor X.

I mainly use the Captor x for live situations to eliminate crappy bar mics. Here are those...

I also find the newer DynIR's to be more convenient than loading ownhammer ones. All this to say that the tech is getting better all the time. Steve Stevens seems to be happy using the Captor X live for consistency so that speaks volumes to their durability as well.

Back