50w vs 100w

50W lets you get that squish in your tone earlier on the master volume than 100W. Huge part of blues playing and early 70’s rock. Both still loud as fuck but if you need a bit of that power side compression 50W is the only way to go as the goods are just easier to get.

Personally I prefer 100W+ headroom. Metal and squish do not mix.

Didn't love the mid-scoop of a 100w Plexi compared to a 50w, so I sold my 100w.

It still sounded amazing but it also made it harder to match volumes with my MV amps when they're all behind an attenuator.

Didn't love the mid-scoop of a 100w Plexi compared to a 50w, so I sold my 100w.

It still sounded amazing but it also made it harder to match volumes with my MV amps when they're all behind an attenuator.
That big bottle tone does sound like a natural scoop in the mids. I personally love it. 6550s make amps sound like the cabinets are 5ft deep.

That was fun t o watch and listen to

On Marshalls, I always prefer the 50Ws, every single time without fail. 1987x, 2204, etc. I just prefer them with that extra squish

"100W" Marshalls always felt a bit "too much" for me, and I have no issues playing 120W and 100W 5150s and 90W Mesas.

Thru most of the 70s the 50s and 100s were run at different voltages and that contributed to (or added to) those differences. In this video I mostly preferred the Friedman but I don't know what if any tweeks Dave added to it. I've mostly preferred the 100W that I've played but I really love that cleanup you get, it's addicting. And you can get more squish and breakup if you variac it.

As a guy that grew up on 50 and 100 watt Marshalls, from JMP and 800 2204's, 2203's plus the non master versions, I always preferred the 50. In fact my main amp for years back in the 80's was my 2204 JMP with 6550's. What a great amp.

Last edited:
I have both 50 and 100 watt Marshalls. I seem to find that the 50 is a little sweeter sounding in the mids and top end where the 100 watter just has more low mids -lows and highs, with a more nasty sound to it. Might just be the voltages but I think there is something to it. I'm typically more glass the better but man there is something about a 50 watt Marshall and how the pick attack and sweetness of it when playing.

For plexi amps, I prefer the 50s because they saturate faster. And a 50-watt plexi is still loud AF. For master volume amps, I prefer 100-watters. I like the extra head room and umph to them.

I have both 50 and 100 watt Marshalls. I seem to find that the 50 is a little sweeter sounding in the mids and top end where the 100 watter just has more low mids -lows and highs, with a more nasty sound to it. Might just be the voltages but I think there is something to it. I'm typically more glass the better but man there is something about a 50 watt Marshall and how the pick attack and sweetness of it when playing.
Same.

Yeah there's that liveliness and responsiveness in the mids and upper mids, right?

I love that shit a lot

Back