50w vs 100w

• Thread starter Thread starter RaceU4her
  • Start date Start date
Yeah, power amp overdrive is glorious on slo, but SO loud haha

I am more curious about live mix. Let me know anyways.
It is indeed! My live performances have only been in classical guitar the last 10 years or so, but I can definitely let you know how it does in recorded mixes later on

Oh yeah, also heard about Hiwatts!

Curious now, if SLO-100 keeps up with Marshalls, as it is believed to cut through mix very well.
SLOs definitely have more of an upper mid quality like a Marshall; and they punch very hard almost like a Wizard. The way I ran mine, definitely sounded like a modded Marshall (like a Soldano modded Marshall lol) through GBs or 65s. I used a boost pedal to tighten it up more as they are a bit loose.

SLOs definitely have more of an upper mid quality like a Marshall; and they punch very hard almost like a Wizard. The way I ran mine, definitely sounded like a modded Marshall (like a Soldano modded Marshall lol) through GBs or 65s. I used a boost pedal to tighten it up more as they are a bit loose.
My ‘89 particularly likes my M20’s and OD-10M boost. I find the crunch mode actually not bad in tightness, but the lead ch is loose. I’ll have to see how the crunch on my 2014 SLO compares

They are loud, but I’ve had plenty of amps that are louder. With the coliseums and triple rectifiers it’s more about their extra efficiency/ease of putting out sound rather than shear volume as well as the more extended highs and lows and more scooped mids vs the 4 power tube counterparts

I like the extra efficiency. It’s like if me or a bodybuilder were to bench 200 lbs maybe both of us could do it, but one of us will do it with so much more ease lol
Cool explanation man!

I only have V30s 🥲

What boost you prefer? I am yet to get myself my first one sooner or later, so that topic also interests me.

Also, when you double boost a Marshall, what you use and in which order?

Mesa get fucking buried by Marshalls and similarly eq'd amps....imho

Edit: loudest amp I've ever played was my full stack Hiwatt DR 504 50 watter.....holy shit that thing was insane!
Yup, the Hiwatt for me as well. When @thegame Mentioned open amps cutting through a mix better than more compressed amps, I immediately thought back to my early punk rock days in the mid 90's with my band playing shows with a 4 hole DR 504.

I only have V30s 🥲

What boost you prefer? I am yet to get myself my first one sooner or later, so that topic also interests me.

I like V30’s too, but some of my favorites with it have been 20w Greenbacks, Altec 417’s and JBL’s, whether various combinations of those or full quads. Redbacks can be good too with them. My preferred boosts have been lately a Klon and also ‘80’s Yamaha OD-10M (underrated)

I like V30’s too, but some of my favorites with it have been 20w Greenbacks, Altec 417’s and JBL’s, whether various combinations of those or full quads. Redbacks can be good too with them. My preferred boosts have been lately a Klon and also ‘80’s Yamaha OD-10M (underrated)
20W? Won’t they get blown?

Sadly all the other options except my V30s are financially unreachable for me for now. One day, hopefully.

20W? Won’t they get blown?

Sadly all the other options except my V30s are financially unreachable for me for now. One day, hopefully.
Well they haven’t yet lol, but I probably should be careful. Either way they sound amazing. In 412’s I usually like them paired with beefier speakers on the bottom row

I’d think redbacks and 20w Heritage Greenbacks could possible for you (not sure exactly what they’d cost shipped to you). There are supposed to also be some pretty good remakes of Fane Crescendo’s and Altec’s, but I haven’t tried them

Well they haven’t yet lol, but I probably should be careful. Either way they sound amazing. In 412’s I usually like them paired with beefier speakers on the bottom row

I’d think redbacks and 20w Heritage Greenbacks could possible for you (not sure exactly what they’d cost shipped to you). There are supposed to also be some pretty good remakes of Fane Crescendo’s and Altec’s, but I haven’t tried them
Anything heavy simply doubles in price usually 😂

I only have V30s 🥲

So, I used to double boost a Jubilee 2554 through a 412 with a Joyo Ultimate Drive, and a Dano Fish n Chips eq pedal, out to the amp. Used those also with a 2204 I had. But, after getting a Boss OD1X that pedal boosted as much as the other 2, and was quieter. The OD1X, to me sounded just as good as a vintage GE 10 eq I also had, but was also quieter.
Decimator pedal for a noise gate.

They should be fine unless you're diming the amp anyways.

I have been using a THD Univalve (15 watts) with a single EL34 and a 1x12 Orange cab with a Vintage 30 lately.
Kind of a quarter stack.

It's really about controlling what the power amp is doing. Different amps have different vowel sounds. Marshall being E and Hiwatt being A, etc. Getting the right punch. The harmonics. The right blend of preamp distortion and poweramp overdrive / saturation. It's almost magical at times.

As for the 100 watt / 50 watt thing ?
I doubt most people could tell the difference in a blind test using the same cab.

Back