Were 80s tones as good as we remember them?

In regards to Thrash tones sounding kind of "abysmal" as previously stated, I think a lot of it has to do with stylistic choice. A lot of people complain about Destruction's first few albums having really tinny guitar sound, however I feel like part of that is because they wanted to make the music sound "evil" for a lack of a better term. You can tell that more extreme-sounding bands would be influenced by the production of stuff like Venom and Hellhammer. Actually for my tastes I really don't like Thrash, Black, or Death Metal to have high-fidelity production at all. That type of stuff is better suited for AOR.

In regards to Thrash tones sounding kind of "abysmal" as previously stated, I think a lot of it has to do with stylistic choice. A lot of people complain about Destruction's first few albums having really tinny guitar sound, however I feel like part of that is because they wanted to make the music sound "evil" for a lack of a better term. You can tell that more extreme-sounding bands would be influenced by the production of stuff like Venom and Hellhammer. Actually for my tastes I really don't like Thrash, Black, or Death Metal to have high-fidelity production at all. That type of stuff is better suited for AOR.
It’s a tightrope. Trashy enough to fit the feel and the vibe, but rocking enough you would actually want to turn it up and not be pissed you spent money on it…😉

Edit…..I’m like that with death metal, when it has a very tight, focused modern amp sound (don’t like it). You should be able to make out a mute or a chug but it should also sound like a Creature from the deep just puked it up on to the beach as well.

I always liked 70-80s Kiss rhythm tones more than thrash. Vito Bratta and Michael Sweet's mid honk; not 80s, but my fav metal tones before 2000, if I had to pick one, is Pantera. Dimebag Darrel's tones on Vulgar Display of Power and Far Beyond Driven albums was meaner and angrier than just about anything else I can remember at that time, including Metallica IMO.

To a point, I agree, but I think for the most part it was just poor production techniques, and it did get better as time went on. Plus, some bands put out albums with much better production. I'd have to spend a few hours with my record collection to tell you which ones, but some were definitely standouts. The best example that comes to mind is Speak English or Die by Stormtroopers of Death. I haven't listened to it in a while, but I remember it being much thicker and heavier than pretty much anything else at the time (I'll have to throw it on when I get home to test my memory).

Now I've got it in my head, I'm going to have to go home and spin some of my old thrash vinyl. Sodom, Destruction, Kreator, Assassin, Onslaught, Testament, Forbidden, Anthrax, Slayer, The Accused, Coroner, Celtic Frost, Devastation, Forced Entry, Sacrifice, Voi Vod, Death Angel, Violence, DRI, SOD, MOD, Nuclear Assault, Exodus, etc...

I just put on How Will I Laugh Tomorrow by ST (1988), and this has to be one of the best sounding albums from that era. Absolutely perfect!
1000006800.jpg

Back