Were 80s tones as good as we remember them?

• Thread starter Thread starter SFW
  • Start date Start date
Cycle of Suffering made me pick guitar back up after several years not touching it. The downpocked part.

Josh actually is a riff machine. Recent album has some tunes too.
It’s really good . I think I’m going to be a fan of him

I was never into the 80's stuff. Too girlie for me.

• Wow
Reactions: rsm
Saw this video in my YouTube feed today. The first thought I had was "wow... that tone is very thin." Maybe I've just gotten used to more modern tones. Who knows...

Ever notice how everything sounds the same now? That is because every instrument wants to be the bass and every instrument is a sample. Those tones we loved did sound thin but they were by design to give every instrument it's space in the mix. So yeah, never listen to the guitars isolated .. when you do, realize that it isn't meant as a stand alone piece.

BTW, that Dokken 87 live clip sounds like the Caswell #39 that George was renting before Slash got his hands on it. Not the Levi, the Caswell. The Levi made it's way on to AFD but the caswell cut the demo. ( due to the caswell being requested so much, Levi copied the circuit and did up a 39 and then 36.) Correct me if im wrong guitar nerds! I hear that cocked wah notch and that tells me Caswell/Levi.

Queer metal era .... You never know what was more wimpy ...their tones or their dresses :)

poison-u3

I just put on How Will I Laugh Tomorrow by ST (1988), and this has to be one of the best sounding albums from that era. Absolutely perfect!
View attachment 325053
I also have the vinyl. That album is truly incredible. It has melody, memorability, heavy parts, softer parts, shred, thrash, rock, punk, hardcore influences all over it. And every song is different.

I love 80's music but have never really understood why people are so obsessed with the tone 🤷‍♂️
Part of it was the timing. After the 70's music scene, people were looking for something new. I think EVH had the biggest hand in shaking things up.

I love 80's music but have never really understood why people are so obsessed with the tone 🤷‍♂️
If you like effects, the 80’s tones worked because they were such a raw base tone, you could put verb and delay on it and it still cut and had teeth. Do that with modern amps, you’re starting with a base tone that has been “warmed up” and if you add verb and delay you just made it more of a neutered mess.
But basically if a cranked 6 knob Marshall and other vintage amps turned up are where you’re tone spirit lies, the 70’s and 80’s will always feel like home.

Some were. Lots of people say they didn't like RR tone. Personally I thought it was great. But then I never was a pedal/FX snob. One of my favorite pedals just happens to be the old D+. I have about 5 of them in different vintages. I'm not a huge fan of most of the hair band stuff so I probably didn't listen closely enough to judge the tone(s). Then sometimes there was stuff that was great in spite of horrible tone. Like Motley Crue's first album.

Some were. Lots of people say they didn't like RR tone. Personally I thought it was great. But then I never was a pedal/FX snob. One of my favorite pedals just happens to be the old D+. I have about 5 of them in different vintages. I'm not a huge fan of most of the hair band stuff so I probably didn't listen closely enough to judge the tone(s). Then sometimes there was stuff that was great in spite of horrible tone. Like Motley Crue's first album.
Too Fast For Love is a great example of when a tone is not the best, but it really works in the context of the material.
In a different genre, from the same time period, Minor Threat is like that too. It’s really a horrible guitar sound, but it really works with what they’re doing.

For classic '70s and '80s guitar tones, my fav is still Kiss; also like the Stryper tone; RTL/MoP era Metallica too... but Pentera is the next level guitar tone, and one of my favs to this day.

Ya . He does a great job with his 5150s
There's a video where he says he didn't like how the tones came out on Edge of the Earth.

I love them, personally. They sound aggressive and unique but not like those some of those bands that sometimes aim for a "rawer" sound that just come out hipster-y and underproduced.

JMO, of course. I love all Sylosis records.

Back