Best chorus pedals

• Thread starter Thread starter Parap14
  • Start date Start date
I've got a Free-The-Tone 'Tri-Avatar' on my board. Does all the good chorus tones from subtle to deep and has presets to just make it easier.
I've also just got a Black Country Customs 'Spiral Array' in my wet rig. It sounds fantastic. I've got loads of chorus pedals but I could be quite happy just using that one if I had to.
The CE-1 tone it does is great. My OG CE-1 is THE chorus sound, but it has its limitations wrt size and its crunch headroom that make it a pedal I'll only really pull out for sometimes. The CH-1 and the CE-3 are not too bad tbh. DOD FX65 is another one which has that CE-1 sound in spades.

Thanks for all the chatter. Good info. For what I am looking to do with it the CE-2 is really close. The tricerachorus sounds interesting. Might have to try one of those. Any opinions on the analogman mini?

Providence Anadime Chorus…
I found that this one is one of the best when used clean, but not per se the best with high gain.

CE-2 is my benchmark, and so far my other top contenders are:
-Mooer Ensemble King
-Tone City Angel Wing
-Ibanez BC9 (vintage)
-Boss DC-2 (vintage; I think it was setting #2 that is awesome)

Aside from the crappy tone-eating buffer, the MXR Analog Chorus (light blue one) is really good and versatile.

I always used an MXR Black Label Chorus - The Zakk Wylde. Could be the same as their regular chorus, I don't know.. But I liked it.

I have a Hardwire CR-7 that I'll sell cheap that I bought here a couple years ago. It's super clean, just needs to be plugged in - doesn't work with a battery for some reason, (never did). It's a killer pedal as well, I just use a multiFX unit, and don't use it..

Here is a video of six chorus pedals. They all sound great, but I have my favorite. 😁 Ignore the shitty riff and playing. I was trying my hardest to not play the intro of Killer of Giants. 🤣 Although I did record a little bit of it in another video I didn’t post. 🤣🤣🤣

Last edited:
The BOSS DM-101 I picked up a few weeks ago does a lot of different types of chorus. All analog BBD that is digitally controlled. It has 12 modes and each does several types of chorus. A lot the sounds go beyond into slapback chorus, flange, modulated delay etc... Because of the available delay times in the various modes.

It's a delay pedal but half of it is dedicated to modulation. It's pretty deep for a analog pedal.

I haven't compared it directly with my other modulation pedals yet.

Last edited:
Here is a video of six chorus pedals. They all sound great, but I have my favorite. 😁 Ignore the shitty riff and playing. I was trying my hardest to not play the intro of Killer of Giants. 🤣 Although I did record a little bit of it in another video I didn’t post. 🤣🤣🤣

This video looks worth watching. Thanks for the link. I suffer from shitty playing too. It is an effect all by itself…🤣

This video looks worth watching. Thanks for the link. I suffer from shitty playing too. It is an effect all by itself…🤣
If I warmed up, made an outline of what I want to accomplish and figured out a good test song, it would be 1000x better. But then it becomes work, and who wants to work…I just want to play and have fun. 🤣

I recently went through a couple of choruses, best sounding was the analog man bi-chorus, wonderfully rich sounding chorus that enhanced the low end a bit. The most versatile pedal I tried and the one that end up on my board is the jam pedals ripply falls, a little bit more high than the analog man but the addition of the phase made it the winner for me

Hey, I did the huge chorus search thing. For me, nothing came.close to the lushness and natural sound of the Strymon Ola. I did not expect myself to also fall in love with the unique settings for each mode as well. Definitely the best Chorus/Vibrato out there for my ear.

Hey, I did the huge chorus search thing. For me, nothing came.close to the lushness and natural sound of the Strymon Ola. I did not expect myself to also fall in love with the unique settings for each mode as well. Definitely the best Chorus/Vibrato out there for my ear.
I'm open to this. BUT.. is it all analog??

I’ve tried a ton…..including some high dollar ones that let me down. My favorite is the cheap JHS Series 3. I like it because it’s subtle and has no coloration or tone suck whatsoever in a loop.
And if you flip the switch up, you kill the dry signal and are left with a true vibe. awesome sound.

I've had a years long curiosity for the Redwitch...

I had one. They're decent. Sound great / well made. Expensive when they came out. Can be had cheaper now.
Tons of sound options. Almost too much going on with the pedal.

I'm open to this. BUT.. is it all analog.

One reason I like it is that it has an 'All Analog Dry Through' method when it comes to your signal. So, your signal is never changed to digital or anything like that but the effect itself is not all analog circuitry, if that makes sense.

If I warmed up, made an outline of what I want to accomplish and figured out a good test song, it would be 1000x better. But then it becomes work, and who wants to work…I just want to play and have fun. 🤣
There is that for sure. Playing is supposed to be fun. When it becomes work……..not so much fun.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. Looks like I have some work to do.☹️. Interestingly enough, all the reviews I have been reading on the web do not mention hardly any of these. 👀

One reason I like it is that it has an 'All Analog Dry Through' method when it comes to your signal. So, your signal is never changed to digital or anything like that but the effect itself is not all analog circuitry, if that makes sense.
no.. Gotta be all ANALOG..

Back