Best chorus pedals

I've got a Free-The-Tone 'Tri-Avatar' on my board. Does all the good chorus tones from subtle to deep and has presets to just make it easier.
I've also just got a Black Country Customs 'Spiral Array' in my wet rig. It sounds fantastic. I've got loads of chorus pedals but I could be quite happy just using that one if I had to.
The CE-1 tone it does is great. My OG CE-1 is THE chorus sound, but it has its limitations wrt size and its crunch headroom that make it a pedal I'll only really pull out for sometimes. The CH-1 and the CE-3 are not too bad tbh. DOD FX65 is another one which has that CE-1 sound in spades.

Thanks for all the chatter. Good info. For what I am looking to do with it the CE-2 is really close. The tricerachorus sounds interesting. Might have to try one of those. Any opinions on the analogman mini?

Providence Anadime Chorus…
I found that this one is one of the best when used clean, but not per se the best with high gain.

CE-2 is my benchmark, and so far my other top contenders are:
-Mooer Ensemble King
-Tone City Angel Wing
-Ibanez BC9 (vintage)
-Boss DC-2 (vintage; I think it was setting #2 that is awesome)

Aside from the crappy tone-eating buffer, the MXR Analog Chorus (light blue one) is really good and versatile.

I always used an MXR Black Label Chorus - The Zakk Wylde. Could be the same as their regular chorus, I don't know.. But I liked it.

I have a Hardwire CR-7 that I'll sell cheap that I bought here a couple years ago. It's super clean, just needs to be plugged in - doesn't work with a battery for some reason, (never did). It's a killer pedal as well, I just use a multiFX unit, and don't use it..

The BOSS DM-101 I picked up a few weeks ago does a lot of different types of chorus. All analog BBD that is digitally controlled. It has 12 modes and each does several types of chorus. A lot the sounds go beyond into slapback chorus, flange, modulated delay etc... Because of the available delay times in the various modes.

It's a delay pedal but half of it is dedicated to modulation. It's pretty deep for a analog pedal.

I haven't compared it directly with my other modulation pedals yet.

Last edited:
Here is a video of six chorus pedals. They all sound great, but I have my favorite. 😁 Ignore the shitty riff and playing. I was trying my hardest to not play the intro of Killer of Giants. 🤣 Although I did record a little bit of it in another video I didn’t post. 🤣🤣🤣

This video looks worth watching. Thanks for the link. I suffer from shitty playing too. It is an effect all by itself…🤣

This video looks worth watching. Thanks for the link. I suffer from shitty playing too. It is an effect all by itself…🤣
If I warmed up, made an outline of what I want to accomplish and figured out a good test song, it would be 1000x better. But then it becomes work, and who wants to work…I just want to play and have fun. 🤣

I recently went through a couple of choruses, best sounding was the analog man bi-chorus, wonderfully rich sounding chorus that enhanced the low end a bit. The most versatile pedal I tried and the one that end up on my board is the jam pedals ripply falls, a little bit more high than the analog man but the addition of the phase made it the winner for me

Hey, I did the huge chorus search thing. For me, nothing came.close to the lushness and natural sound of the Strymon Ola. I did not expect myself to also fall in love with the unique settings for each mode as well. Definitely the best Chorus/Vibrato out there for my ear.

Hey, I did the huge chorus search thing. For me, nothing came.close to the lushness and natural sound of the Strymon Ola. I did not expect myself to also fall in love with the unique settings for each mode as well. Definitely the best Chorus/Vibrato out there for my ear.
I'm open to this. BUT.. is it all analog??

If I warmed up, made an outline of what I want to accomplish and figured out a good test song, it would be 1000x better. But then it becomes work, and who wants to work…I just want to play and have fun. 🤣
There is that for sure. Playing is supposed to be fun. When it becomes work……..not so much fun.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. Looks like I have some work to do.☹️. Interestingly enough, all the reviews I have been reading on the web do not mention hardly any of these. 👀

Back