Best chorus pedals

The Rockman stuff was always fantastic to cover than Boston sound. In fact I owned an XP100 Rockman Amp. Cool idea. Effects on it were amazing. Looking for a stomp box here. Thanks for sharing.
If i could only have one it would be the MXR Micro Chorus. I always thought a Chorus pedal needed a rate & depth knob but the MC cover all the bases.

Wayne's CE-2 Clone with the NOS Panasonic Matsushita MN3007 BBD and MN3101. Just nails the tone IMHO.

IMG_8869.jpeg

Looking for real world opinions. Not the same ole stupid reviews all over the web. I currently use a silver screw Japan Boss CE-2 from 80-81. Looking for something better. I appreciate any and all responses. Thx, Jim
Hmm...considering that is one of the "standards" of the chorus world not sure you find something better, different yeah. I went through probably 5-6 years of trying, buying etc... in search of what I wanted in a chorus. Bottom line alot of money and time for an effect I use sparingly but still I needed to find the one. I never did but these are the one's I landed on and continue to own. When my taste changes, I just switch them out.

Analog -
Vahlbruch Chorus
Providence Anadime ADC4 - my current go to.
Boss Dimension C

I own all three.

Digital -

Free the Tone Tri Avatar
Neunaber Inspire
Strymon Mobius

I own the Neunaber, Dimension C and Mobius which is a great all around tool and the main chorus/ multi effect on my smaller board. If I was running stereo the Avatar is a no brainer.

Under the radar -

MXR Micro Chorus. Straight up, if it didn't have a volume bump I would own one, that one knob hits all the right spots. I've even looked into buying one and having it modified for unity but never really found anything.
MXR Stereo Chorus. Smaller foot print and I would own it. Works well in stereo or mono.
Jaques Meistersinger. Great chorus, as good as anything I tried but it is one noisy pedal.

Both the MXR units are are better than their Analog Chorus IMO. That pedal adds some coloration to your signal however if you can live with that it's a solid pedal.

Last edited:
I have an '83 CE-2.
The only time I like it is with volume rolled back playing clean.
Not really into it with gain.
Do kinda wish it had a blend knob.

Do like it better than the Analogman chorus.
Pretty sure he was copying the Electro Harmonix chorus with his though?

Hmm...considering that is one of the "standards" of the chorus world not sure you find something better, different yeah. I went through probably 5-6 years of trying, buying etc... in search of what I wanted in a chorus. Bottom line alot of money and time for an effect I use sparingly but still I needed to find the one. I never did but these are the one's I landed on and continue to own. When my taste changes, I just switch them out.

Analog -
Vahlbruch Chorus
Providence Anadime ADC4

I own both.

Digital -

Free the Tone Tri Avatar
Neunaber Inspire
Boss Dimension C
Strymon Mobius

I own the Neunaber, Dimension C and Mobius which is a great all around tool and the main chorus/ multi effect on my smaller board. If I was running stereo the Avatar is a no brainer.

Under the radar -

MXR Micro Chorus. Straight up, if it didn't have a volume bump I would own one, that one knob hits all the right spots. I've even looked into buying one and having it modified for unity but never really found anything.
MXR Stereo Chorus. Smaller foot print and I would own it. Works well in stereo or mono.
Jaques Meistersinger. Great chorus, as good as anything I tried but it is one noisy pedal.

Both the MXR units are are better than their Analog Chorus IMO. That pedal adds some coloration to your signal however if you can live with that it's a solid pedal.
Boss Dimension Chorus is all Analog. They have 2 BBD chips in them.

I built a clone. Was a pain in the ass. Sounds great though.

DOD FX65 Stereo Chorus...I've had this thing since my senior yr in HS, in 85. Works great. I also have a pair of SD3000s, which have great modulation. I use the DOD to split my line out signal into my WDW rack. When I turn the pedal on, set both SD3000s to Chorus, and Lexicon MPX1 to Detune, talk about a WET sound. Lol

Analog -
Vahlbruch Chorus
Providence Anadime ADC4 - my current go to.
Boss Dimension C

I own all three.

Digital -

Free the Tone Tri Avatar
Neunaber Inspire
Strymon Mobius

Under the radar -

Not all pedals are created the same. I had a few MXR micro chorus pedals and only one had a little volume increase. That should be solved easily though by a good tech.

DOD FX65 Stereo Chorus...I've had this thing since my senior yr in HS, in 85. Works great. I also have a pair of SD3000s, which have great modulation. I use the DOD to split my line out signal into my WDW rack. When I turn the pedal on, set both SD3000s to Chorus, and Lexicon MPX1 to Detune, talk about a WET sound. Lol
This reminds me when I had the DOD FX-60; that was a great, mild chorus too.

Attachments

• DOD FX Collection 03.jpg
    DOD FX Collection 03.jpg
    445.8 KB · Views: 9
I have a big box ehx poly chorus I bought new about 25 years ago. It sound great and is capable of doing a lot of spaceship sounds. I don't use it with the band because of the size. But it really does sound great and versatile. Filter matrix, chorus, flanger and double track modes. A other classic BBD pedal.

I'm using a CE-2W. I owned a few CE-2 and CE-1. I was never able to try them side by side.
I have other chorus pedals but tend to go back to BOSS.
Me too. It jumped into my head as soon as I read the title. The different base settings on it are all very useable depending on what you want. I was trying a whole bunch of chorus pedals in a day between two stores and once I stepped on the Waza CE-2 it was an instant, oh yeah that’s it. It made everything else just sound flat, less rich. Plus I love the simplicity of two knobs.

Back