Floyd Rose replacement suggestions

MadAsAHatter

Going to be replacing a no-name, pot metal Floyd style bridge with something better. I'm wanting to spend around $100. Hoping you all can give me some suggestions/feedback on what to look at.

A Floyd Rose Special and Gotoh GE1996T fit price wise. I've seen mixed feelings on the Special. I've used other Gotoh bridges and they've been good quality, but don't know specifics about this particular one.

if the Special fits, just get the OFR/Lockmeister

If the Gotoh is significantly cheaper for you, get the Gotoh.

IME the Schaller/OFR is a more robust unit and better at being a locking trem... but the Gotoh has better fit and finish

And a much better arm.

Gotoh, but check the size of the supplied block before you buy, there are options. Otherwise, I really have no problems with FR Special on my guitars.

Gotoh

Though I will say I specifically bought a brand new Floyd Special for my Warmoth because it was the only one I could find in satin chrome to match the rest of my guitars hardware and mine has held up fine going on about 5 years now

I see people talk shit about them all the time so maybe I just got lucky lol

joining the Gotoh team! Great bridge and you can install d-tuna on them

Attachments

• IMG_3430_Original.jpeg
    IMG_3430_Original.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 23
I replaced the Gotoh on my latest EBMM Axis with the 1984 OFR. I don't know what the Gotohs are going for, but I might sell it. It has about two weeks of play time on it.

I replaced the Gotoh on my latest EBMM Axis with the 1984 OFR. I don't know what the Gotohs are going for, but I might sell it. It has about two weeks of play time on it.
If the Axis is 2011 or newer, it isn't a Gotoh. If it has the "pop-in" arm than it's a trem made only for Music Man

You can't go wrong with either a Schaller Lockmeister or a Gotoh. I like them both but I like the Lockmeister more. The reason is that I find the Gotoh to be too smooth. I want the "stiffer" Floyd Rose feel and for me only the Floyd Rose Original and Lockmeister feels right.

You can't go wrong with either a Schaller Lockmeister or a Gotoh. I like them both but I like the Lockmeister more. The reason is that I find the Gotoh to be too smooth. I want the "stiffer" Floyd Rose feel and for me only the Floyd Rose Original and Lockmeister feels right.
That's legitimate player's reasoning.
I like the Gotoh for the reason you don't.

I’ve got a ‘German’ Floyd that makes a weird buzzing on the D string. If I squeeze the D-string clamping bolt at the back of the bridge, the buzzing / vibration goes away. I’ve swapped the spring claw that applies pressure to the under-side of the saddle clamping bolts to no avail. It’s like the tolerances are just “off” on this particular bridge. Maybe I need a new saddle for the D string??

A deep dive on Google tells me that the Schaller Lockmeister has none of these ‘sloppy tolerance’ issues. Users report that the Lockmeister is the Floyd that Floyd ‘used’ to be. I’m ready to drop the coin just to see…

Reactions: Geo
I’ve got a ‘German’ Floyd that makes a weird buzzing on the D string. If I squeeze the D-string clamping bolt at the back of the bridge, the buzzing / vibration goes away. I’ve swapped the spring claw that applies pressure to the under-side of the saddle clamping bolts to no avail. It’s like the tolerances are just “off” on this particular bridge. Maybe I need a new saddle for the D string??

A deep dive on Google tells me that the Schaller Lockmeister has none of these ‘sloppy tolerance’ issues. Users report that the Lockmeister is the Floyd that Floyd ‘used’ to be. I’m ready to drop the coin just to see…
Sometimes those lock blocks simply go bad...they'll crack, or just deform where it touches the string. I'd get 6 new blocks, titanium preferably. Those don't wear at all. But that might be your issue.

Reactions: PDC
Back