The Pinnacle of Marshall Guitar tone

I liked Ace's tone but I don't consider it the pinnacle, just more like a gold standard LP into Marshall rock tone which is damn tough, if not impossible to beat for that kind of music and has been proven time and time again. Toss a '57 on there and it's beautiful. Even though I'm a Fender guy now my first real amp was a Marshall. I should've gotten the JTM45 but I was a wild eyed kid and wanted big and loud so I got the 100 watt plexi. I didn't have anyone to guide me so I had to make a lot of mistakes and spend more money and time getting to where I wanted to be.

My amp tech recently offered to build me a bluesbreaker clone for 3000-3500 bucks. This sounds pretty good with an LP:

One guy's pinnacle is another guy's meh.

For me it's still Paul Stanley's '70s - '80s tones.

Before that, it's Hendrix' Marshall tones.
Right on , the first guitar we hear on the Alive album is Paul doing the intro to Deuce . Ace gets all mentions but Paul did the bulk of all those killer intros

Last edited:
Reactions: rsm
My amp tech recently offered to build me a bluesbreaker clone for 3000-3500 bucks. This sounds pretty good with an LP:

I've read that there were several variations of the early Bluesbreakers because Marshall would use whatever parts they had on hand and that no one knows which variation Eric had. Is this true?

Reactions: rsm
I've read that there were several variations of the early Bluesbreakers because Marshall would use whatever parts they had on hand and that no one knows which variation Eric had. Is this true?
I honestly couldn't tell you. Maybe one of the forums Marshall experts could chime in. I do believe that the amp on that tune was room mic'ed back about 30 feet or something like that. Not sure if the room was a room or a hallway but that version of "steppin out" sounds pretty killer.

Thin Lizzy’s dual lead work is the ultimate example that a 6 knob Marshall just accentuates everything right about a guitar.

Scorpions..from 70’s through turn of the decade.
Angus’s lead tone in the early mid 80’s
Judas Priest British Steel

…and this

Back