Line 6 Helix?

• Thread starter Thread starter rsm
  • Start date Start date
rsm
rsm
Almost 10 years since it was released; keeps getting regular software updates.

I had one as soon as the LT was released.

Still relevant today, but not sure how long they can go without an updated hardware platform. AFAIK, Kemper hasn't had a hardware upgrade in years; and Fractal is still on the Axe III architecture, with Mk 2 and Turbo hardware enhancements.

When Helix was released, I never imagined the hardware would stay the same for this length of time. Maybe 10 years is the magic number for updated hardware?

Haven't looked much into the helix, does it use an ASIC or perhaps an ARM chip? I've seen some fairly disappointing hardware on a few of the others mentioned. Although, I do think using older memory like DDR3 is smart given it's lower latency. I would just like to see it paired with a modern architecture and controller. Perhaps even run parallel processing via GPU style architecture to better saturate bandwidth/create more nuanced vibe.

I hope they build on the vetta II HD platform with a high powered guitar head that meshes modeling with traditional guitar heads using helix II hardware.

Michael Romeo used a pair of veta II HD heads through two 4x12’s for his live shows for a while and that shit was metal AF.

Reactions: rsm
I hope they build on the vetta II HD platform with a high powered guitar head that meshes modeling with traditional guitar heads using helix II hardware.

Michael Romeo used a pair of veta II HD heads through two 4x12’s for his live shows for a while and that shit was metal AF.

Meshuggah was using veta’s years ago the first time I saw them and it was damn near a religious experience for me, I want to grab one just cause of that alone

Meshuggah was using veta’s years ago the first time I saw them and it was damn near a religious experience for me, I want to grab one just cause of that alone
Dude those amps could fucking get it. They get a shit wrap by bedroom players barely turning them up but cranked way the fuck up they put 5150s to shame.

Dude those amps could fucking get it. They get a shit wrap by bedroom players barely turning them up but cranked way the fuck up they put 5150s to shame.

i dont doubt it, my old metalcore band played with a few big name bands that used those HD147's, which i never see talked about anywhere and they totally ripped, i think the veta's were supposed to be better versions of those

Saw Symphony X about 20 years ago and Romero was playing one and he sounded great

Haven't looked much into the helix, does it use an ASIC or perhaps an ARM chip? I've seen some fairly disappointing hardware on a few of the others mentioned. Although, I do think using older memory like DDR3 is smart given it's lower latency. I would just like to see it paired with a modern architecture and controller. Perhaps even run parallel processing via GPU style architecture to better saturate bandwidth/create more nuanced vibe.
Not sure, I thought it was dual SHARC but I don't recall the specs, and they haven't updated the hardware specs since release in 2015

edit: The Main Processors - Analog Devices ADSP-21469 SHARC Processors. These are the fourth generation of SHARC processors from Analog Devices.

Last edited:
You mean the Bogner designed HD100 or something else?

You mean the Bogner designed HD100 or something else?

no, though those are probably underrated too... we talking about these

iu

iu

I mean looking at that vetta with that crazy layout now 20+ later, I guess I can understand why a digital amp that says Line6 and looks like that might not have done too well lol, not sure the masses were ready for something like that.

I mean looking at that vetta with that crazy layout now 20+ later, I guess I can understand why a digital amp that says Line6 and looks like that might not have done too well lol, not sure the masses were ready for something like that.
Before it's time. I've almost purchased a HD100 on several occasions.

Holding out on another Helix because the hardware is 9 years old.

I saw Bleeding Through back in '03-'04 rocking the Vetta II heads and their tone was crushing. However, I had one back in the day for a little while but the Framus Cobra and ENGL Savage I had at the time along with it made it sound like a scooped toy and very artificial sounding. It had a purpose at the time and can still sound fairly good.

I saw Bleeding Through back in '03-'04 rocking the Vetta II heads and their tone was crushing. However, I had one back in the day for a little while but the Framus Cobra and ENGL Savage I had at the time along with it made it sound like a scooped toy and very artificial sounding. It had a purpose at the time and can still sound fairly good.

Yeah I fully agree it isn’t standing a chance against the staples of metal and can’t hold a leg against a multi guitarist band with an actual tube amp as a competitor but on its own they deliver and sound crushing just as you said. I really wish they’d do another modeling guitar head with updated hardware and firmware. I’m sure it would kick ass with all of the capabilities modeling can do now.

The only reason I haven’t gone down the helix + QSC poweramp rack ordeal is that the juice isn’t worth the squeeze - it’s a ton of money for not a lot of return. At least the Vetta II HD delivers great on its current price point.

The used Helix prices seem to be high too, only a few hundred off the new price; though a few sold for under $1K, lowest at $800 with condition of Excellent; highest at $1300, at that point I'd get new

Not sure, I thought it was dual SHARC but I don't recall the specs, and they haven't updated the hardware specs since release in 2015

edit: The Main Processors - Analog Devices ADSP-21469 SHARC Processors. These are the fourth generation of SHARC processors from Analog Devices.
The datasheet parties like it's 1999 :oops:
Must be a case of if it's not broke than don't fix it, but I'm in the wrong business :ROFLMAO:

The datasheet parties like it's 1999 :oops:
Must be a case of if it's not broke than don't fix it, but I'm in the wrong business :ROFLMAO:
My computer rig for running VST Host and VST, 64-bit, on Windows 11; i5, 16GB RAM,...basic computer. I could have had an even less powerful computer, so it doesn't take much to run.

I use Blue Cat Audio's PatchWork as the VST Host, and have patches that use various VST plugins; and I map those PatchWork patches into a sets for my MIDI floor controller, and I load each set into it, for different combinations, i.e., like different pedal boards. When I first power it up and load the PatchWork and MIDI set, I select each footswitch to initially load the VST plugin patches. Once that's done, it works great with low latency changing patches.

I haven't had any resource issues, crashes, latency or any other performance or stability issues. So it's not resource intensive....

...which makes me less concerned about the current hardware in Helix, but a hardware refresh would enable even more capabilities; I've seen people talking about hitting resource limits on Helix, and not with overly complex signal chains.

Are you saying it's like a POD 2.0?
Pretty much. That or a gameboy. :ROFLMAO: It's interesting to see how these chips use their narrow bus widths (16bit 12 samples in / 24 out in this case) to produce so many variations. Haven't looked deeper into the platform, but it would make sense to use more than one of them at a time in an asynchronous manner. Cheap, but effective. It uses even older DDR2 memory, which has even less latency and good, but is very limited to maximum memory saturation for an overall variety of samples at a given time. It's not going to go sentient on us any time soon :ROFLMAO:

My computer rig for running VST Host and VST, 64-bit, on Windows 11; i5, 16GB RAM,...basic computer. I could have had an even less powerful computer, so it doesn't take much to run.

I use Blue Cat Audio's PatchWork as the VST Host, and have patches that use various VST plugins; and I map those PatchWork patches into a sets for my MIDI floor controller, and I load each set into it, for different combinations, i.e., like different pedal boards. When I first power it up and load the PatchWork and MIDI set, I select each footswitch to initially load the VST plugin patches. Once that's done, it works great with low latency changing patches.

I haven't had any resource issues, crashes, latency or any other performance or stability issues. So it's not resource intensive....

...which makes me less concerned about the current hardware in Helix, but a hardware refresh would enable even more capabilities; I've seen people talking about hitting resource limits on Helix, and not with overly complex signal chains.
If it's specific use is only for this I would probably underclock the memory and decrease the CAS through the bios. But I'm a nerd and it doesn't appear necessary. Does it work with linux? May be able to get even less with closer to the metal drivers.

Back