Next tier modern high gain amp recommendations

sacguy71

Looking to get either Diezel Herbert MK3, ENGL Smolski, Revv Generator, or Mesa Boogie Triple Rectifier as next amp.
Thoughts? I know the Mesa needs boost/OD to sound tight but price is less than Diezel.

Only a recto really sounds like a recto, but of those choices I would lean towards the Herbert. I may also consider the PRS MT-100 as well.
yeah thinking buy used Recto as they are cheap used and maybe Herbert new or to save money the Herbert pedal then all set. Add in a Fractal or Kemper and set for life. Blending the Recto with Uberschall and Herbert would be badass since pros do that like Adam Jones of Tool and Brian Welch of Korn. Rectifier and Diezel used a lot in recordings.

I have a recto and herbert.

if you want max flexibility... go the herbert.
If you want max aggressiveness and bite... go the recto

Owned all of those except the Smolski, but I’ve played it. The Mesa triple MW is sick, definitely the one I’d choose… miles ahead of the others.

At lower volumes the Herbert needs a boost too. Crank them up a bit and neither the Herbert or Mesa needs one

Rectifier would be my choice of those, but depending on budget or needed features, you can do better than all those choices. If you go Engl, my favorites of their line-up were the Inferno and SE EL34

If this were me, and keeping tone + budget in mind:
Triple Rec, mk3 Herbie, ENGL, REVV in that order.

And of that list, I would put the Rec and Herbie a fair bit higher than the 3rd placed ENGL. I probably would not consider the REVV at all....I really disliked both the feel and tone of the couple I have tried now.

Owned all of those except the Smolski, but I’ve played it. The Mesa triple MW is sick, definitely the one I’d choose… miles ahead of the others.

At lower volumes the Herbert needs a boost too. Crank them up a bit and neither the Herbert or Mesa needs one
Can you please educate me, what is different between these single, double and triple rectifiers, aside from number of rectifier tubes?

Can you please educate me, what is different between these single, double and triple rectifiers, aside from number of rectifier tubes?

I’ve only ever owned/played a Triple Multi Watt, haven’t tried the dual MW to know how/if they differ other than 150w vs 100w. I have owned earlier revisions of the dual and single and the MW was just better, tighter. The triple has a huge punch and one of the few amps I’ve owned that can hang with a Wizard when it comes to moving air.

I’ve only ever owned/played a Triple Multi Watt, haven’t tried the dual MW to know how/if they differ other than 150w vs 100w. I have owned earlier revisions of the dual and single and the MW was just better, tighter. The triple has a huge punch and one of the few amps I’ve owned that can hang with a Wizard when it comes to moving air.
Thanks for the info Matt! 🤘🏻

I would avoid the Revv generator. Been avoiding the one I have since I got it.

IIRC, Glenn liked Revv?

fricker-thumbs-up.jpg

I agree with Matt if you turn up a Rectifier the less you need a boost.
Having said that a VFE Standout, Zuul+, Tremoverb and a 4x12 with Vintage 30 / G12H-75 can be interesting. With the HPF on the Standout you can make it as fast and tight as you want.

Back