The LAST metalhead

The Monomyth modded Marshall I had was really quiet especially considering the gain. The IIC+ I had wasn't super noisy but it wasn't super quiet either. So the Monomyth.

No way is a boosted 2203 quiet at volume. I wouldn't start this thread if that amp made the list but it doesn't come close.
Sorry my post above doesn't help your separation anxiety but the reason I sold both of those was because I realized a boosted 2203 is the THE heavy sound for me. A plexi is my wheelhouse but if I want to get heavier...boosted 2203. I'll deal with the warts.

Not for nothing but this ain't personal. I just want to know what's modern, brutal and quiet bc I know they exist in present terms.

Fender made a solid state Metalhead amp. And what a POS it was:

IMG_1068.jpeg

No way is a boosted 2203 quiet at volume. I wouldn't start this thread if that amp made the list but it doesn't come close.
Ted, my bro, it IS INDEED possible to have a pretty damn quiet boosted 2203, cranked. Grab that OD1X, turn everything to noon, put it in front of that incoming 78 (if you pulled the trade off :giggle:) and stand back. Ok, there might be SOME noise but that pedal is by far, the quietest boost pedal I've ever tried. The gain you'll have dialed that way is equal to how I used to double boost 2203/4/Jubilees when I gigged 10 yrs ago. And way way quieter. It's quieter than any modded Marshall I've had, and you know I've had a bunch.

Not for nothing but this ain't personal. I just want to know what's modern, brutal and quiet bc I know they exist in present terms.

my 5153 el34 50w with the c137 mod is pretty quite, and like spiderwars said my monomyth marshall is quiet as well.

Judging by what you have in the stable now, there probably isn't much out there that would wow you.:unsure:

'71 100w Langner Superlead...
Cameron tweaked, Cameron approved
'71 100w Superbass Monomyth SK
'72 50w Marshall JMP stock

Langner DCP-1 Elite preamp
Langner TEQ-1
A/DA 3TM MP-1 Preamp
VHT Classic 2100-C / 2150-S
2) old 1960B Marshall Cabs w/G12M-25 creambacks and G12H-30 70th anniversary

Maybe a Hermansson because it is pretty much a super tight Metal Machine. You obviously are drawn to Marshall tones otherwise you would have some Mesa Boogie among your collection.

Since you are going for all out metal tones.........

Possibly a Peavey 5150/5150II or even an EVH5153 for that matter since they are different enough from a Marshall/SLO and also does the Metal tones with the best of them and on a budget for that matter with a boost of your choice.

Judging by what you have in the stable now, there probably isn't much out there that would wow you.:unsure:

'71 100w Langner Superlead...
Cameron tweaked, Cameron approved
'71 100w Superbass Monomyth SK
'72 50w Marshall JMP stock

Langner DCP-1 Elite preamp
Langner TEQ-1
A/DA 3TM MP-1 Preamp
VHT Classic 2100-C / 2150-S
2) old 1960B Marshall Cabs w/G12M-25 creambacks and G12H-30 70th anniversary

Maybe a Hermansson because it is pretty much a super tight Metal Machine. You obviously are drawn to Marshall tones otherwise you would have some Mesa Boogie among your collection.

Since you are going for all out metal tones.........

Possibly a Peavey 5150/5150II or even an EVH5153 for that matter since they are different enough from a Marshall/SLO and also does the Metal tones with the best of them and on a budget for that matter with a boost of your choice.
He has Mesa/Boogie's too. I agree the list of gear that rivals those items is small and also very rare and pricy stuff. IME AB'ing 5150's and EVH5153's they sounded plastic-y and kind of toy-like in direct comparison to the Cameron modded Marshall's I used to have. I'm sure the Langner modded Marshall I used to have would've had the same effect if compared. I agree for the price they are some of the better options, but I truly do not at all feel they hang with any amps I'd consider top tier

I would agree with Hermansson as one of the few good choices. It's next level tight and fast. Besides that I'd just say Blueface, Rev C Recto, Rev 1 Uber (all 3 lower noise than my other high gain amps) or Wizard Hell Razor. All pricy or rare items, but it is what it is. Maybe instead exploring the top tier vintage speakers, pickups or guitars could be another way to go. The amp list is already quite strong

Last edited:
He has Mesa/Boogie's too. I agree the list of gear that rivals those items is small and also very rare and pricy stuff. IME AB'ing 5150's and EVH5153's they sounded plastic-y and kind of toy-like in direct comparison to the Cameron modded Marshall's I used to have. I'm sure the Langner modded Marshall I used to have would've had the same effect if compared. I agree for the price they are some of the better options, but I truly do not at all feel they hang with any amps I'd consider top tier

I would agree with Hermansson as one of the few good choices. It's next level tight and fast. Besides that I'd just say Blueface, Rev C Recto, Rev 1 Uber (all 3 lower noise than my other high gain amps) or Wizard Hell Razor. All pricy or rare items, but it is what it is. Maybe instead exploring the top tier vintage speakers, pickups or guitars could be another way to go. The amp list is already quite strong
He was asking about something pure Metal so that's why I suggested 5150's or 5153's plasticy or not they are the metal amps of choice and would be different to what he already has and not break the bank. I had a USA 6505 but have not played a EVH5153 to hear this plastic description in person, maybe one day, I just don't hear that in any clip of them.

Then the only thing really different to what he already has would be the Wizard MTL or Hell Razor or Hermannson that are considered metal amps.

I will also add maybe look into a Maxon ST9 Pro+ Overdrive which is quite different to a stock ST9 or OD808 into what you already have and you might stop looking for another amp if you like what you hear in Killertones video. I dig my ST9 pro +, it's lives up to the video.:2thumbsup:

He was asking about something pure Metal so that's why I suggested 5150's or 5153's plasticy or not they are the metal amps of choice and would be different to what he already has and not break the bank. I had a USA 6505 but have not played a EVH5153 to hear this plastic description in person, maybe one day, I just don't hear that in any clip of them.

Then the only thing really different to what he already has would be the Wizard MTL or Hell Razor or Hermannson that are considered metal amps.

I will also add maybe look into a Maxon ST9 Pro+ Overdrive which is quite different to a stock ST9 or OD808 into what you already have and you might stop looking for another amp if you like what you hear in Killertones video. I dig my ST9 pro +, it's lives up to the video.:2thumbsup:

Yes no doubt they are good amps for the price and can sound impressive on their own, but many times now I’ve ab’ed them with amps I think of in the top tier category and honestly they really just didn’t hold their own to me. Not saying they're not good amps, but just cutting to the chase for those interested in the good stuff

All the other amps I mentioned would contrast as much or more vs what he has as the wizards. Hermansson’s would contrast the most. I’ve had multiple examples of these amps and just talking from my experience where I always AB vs other amps as reference points. I don’t talk about amps I haven’t tried myself

A good boost can benefit some of his amps (especially stock Marshall’s), but many of them are the type of amps that I find gets choked out and worse boosted and in either case no boost will get those amps in the ballpark of what I recommended above. I tried with all my amps and again just talking from my experience with that

Last edited:
Modded Mark IV? Elaborate on that one please.
Mike B did a bias mod on it and added more gain. Its more aggressive and a bit tighter than a stock one. This was back in 1992. I worked with Boogie thru Mark Snyder and he turned me on to it. Mike did some work to the head some years back and said the added gain mod was pretty easy to do. Hope that helps!

Lots of good info but a CCV built by Mark would imo smoke most of the amps I can imagine. I wish I could own one, it would definitely make the short list. Wizards and Hermansons's don't really do it for me. Bram76(think that's his name here) post an interesting boosted clip but even he said one of Jeremy's GZ modded recto put it to shame. Everyone knows I'm trying to find an older dual or triple for that.

It would be nice if someone had a few of the rarer amp to compare a CCV, MI beta, GZ recto even a modded wizard that covered the boost internally.

Lots of good info but a CCV built by Mark would imo smoke most of the amps I can imagine. I wish I could own one, it would definitely make the short list. Wizards and Hermansons's don't really do it for me. Bram76(think that's his name here) post an interesting boosted clip but even he said one of Jeremy's GZ modded recto put it to shame. Everyone knows I'm trying to find an older dual or triple for that.

It would be nice if someone had a few of the rarer amp to compare a CCV, MI beta, GZ recto even a modded wizard that covered the boost internally.
I had a Mark CCV (tried many others too) and of course compared it with all the amps I mentioned before. It was of course great, but I liked some other amps more and found it too smooth for my taste and also still a bit filtered sounding for what I like. Personally I much preferred my Hermansson's and Wizard's when compared as well as a few other amps I mentioned before. Also, Bram's Hermansson was a single Recto and I didn't like the one I had nearly as much as my Dual or Triple versions I still have. Other than a GZ recto I have compared in the same room these other amps mentioned

The new Wizard Hell Razor model also does not need any boost whatsoever. It has stupid amounts of gain and tightness on tap. It's basically like the MC on steroids. My only amp that's tighter or more attack-y still is my Hermansson's and some may not want as much of those qualities anyway

His clip wasn't a Hermanson I liked, it was the wizard metal? Blue power indicator lens. Was the CCV one that Mark built, it matters.

Back