The LAST metalhead

Lots of good info but a CCV built by Mark would imo smoke most of the amps I can imagine. I wish I could own one, it would definitely make the short list. Wizards and Hermansons's don't really do it for me. Bram76(think that's his name here) post an interesting boosted clip but even he said one of Jeremy's GZ modded recto put it to shame. Everyone knows I'm trying to find an older dual or triple for that.

It would be nice if someone had a few of the rarer amp to compare a CCV, MI beta, GZ recto even a modded wizard that covered the boost internally.
How about a Ground Zero Hellion? That's kind of Cameronesque but way more flexible yet BRUTAL and can be modern or tweaked more vintage....That adjustable Negative Feedback control will allow you to dial in as tight or loose as you want it IMHO and with all the other bright , gain style gain switches modern and classic modes and what ever the AURA(compression knob does) that amp should cover all the ground you need want and yet still have the Marshall DNA you like.
:dunno:

I totally agree with that not being a great clip... so her ya go

Last edited:
His clip wasn't a Hermanson I liked, it was the wizard metal? Blue power indicator lens. Was the CCV one that Mark built, it matters.
Yeah his Hermansson was a single recto. Not the best example of them IME. His Hell Razor has a red power indicator as does mine. For whatever reason Wizard's and Hermansson's seem to be tougher to record well than other amps

And yes Mark made and I AB'ed it with a friend's CCV from 2015 that sounded the same to me. I've tried Psychodave's, which also seemed the same, but didn't AB. A few other CCV'S I tried sounded a bit different. I do my homework and only give opinions on amps I've properly AB'ed with benchmarks as reference points. Cameron's are great (I liked his modded Marshall's more), but didn't ultimately keep the ones I had (5 modded Marshall's and a CCV) because of some of my other favorite amps

I'd still say the same as before: early Recto's, Rev 1 or 2 Uber, Blueface, Hermansson, Hell Razor. Those have been my favorites for metal along with my IIC+. Some of the Hermansson Marshall's I didn't like as much, but the 2 Recto mods I kept have been great in their own way. Not for everyone (epitome of hollow), but no other amp I've tried can do what they do the same way: the tightness, sharp attack, fast response and aggressive highs. None of my other amps can match it in those departments. The closest would be the Hell Razor and it still doesn't get there (maybe 70-80% there)

Last edited:
Lots of good info but a CCV built by Mark would imo smoke most of the amps I can imagine. I wish I could own one, it would definitely make the short list. Wizards and Hermansons's don't really do it for me. Bram76(think that's his name here) post an interesting boosted clip but even he said one of Jeremy's GZ modded recto put it to shame. Everyone knows I'm trying to find an older dual or triple for that.

It would be nice if someone had a few of the rarer amp to compare a CCV, MI beta, GZ recto even a modded wizard that covered the boost internally.
My personal opinion the MI Beta is pretty over hyped.

Had one for a month or so. Great amp don't get me wrong and to be fair I never got to really turn it up and never played it with a drummer.

Was not really blown away by the amp like I was with a few others. JP2C for example or the Uber or pitbull 100cl. Would take any of those over the Beta.

Cool amp for sure. Uber meets Recto IMO but I just don't get the hype around that amp. Wish I kept it for a while tbh, I'm seeing people pay over 4k for them now.

Mike B did a bias mod on it and added more gain. Its more aggressive and a bit tighter than a stock one. This was back in 1992. I worked with Boogie thru Mark Snyder and he turned me on to it. Mike did some work to the head some years back and said the added gain mod was pretty easy to do. Hope that helps!
That is first time I hear about a modded IV, let alone in detail. Thank you sooo much!

My personal opinion the MI Beta is pretty over hyped.

Had one for a month or so. Great amp don't get me wrong and to be fair I never got to really turn it up and never played it with a drummer.

Was not really blown away by the amp like I was with a few others. JP2C for example or the Uber or pitbull 100cl. Would take any of those over the Beta.

Cool amp for sure. Uber meets Recto IMO but I just don't get the hype around that amp. Wish I kept it for a while tbh, I'm seeing people pay over 4k for them now.
I prefer overall my Uber too (Rev 1), but I find what makes it special that I haven't been able to match yet in any other amp when AB'ed is the crazy lows (especially sublows) and it's efficiency in putting out sound, but I also only find it comes out at really loud volumes (global volume at least 1 o clock, ch volume also very high), otherwise it does sound pretty generic/mediocre to me in a similar way to most modern amps, but at volume none of my other amps shake the floor the same way when AB'ed or put out sound with as much efficiency (including the Coli's I had). I think the price is just from them being no longer made (for now at least) and not that many were made overall

Not that I need another amp atm but I just sold my white monomyth 2204 and I think I'm having seperation anxiety as it sits near the door lol

I still have some of the goods, Langner Marshall and DCP-1 preamp/VHT 2100-C and my IIC+/++ but after I spoke to Shea today for a while/always cool/he goes into the latest...DC heaters, modded zero loss fx loops and the rest of ideas/3,4,5 gs that inspire me to the next thing. So what is that!!?!?

CCV really is worth mentioning and I almost had the orange one from Namm in the yt clip but it wasn't one Mark built/tuned so I passed.
I’ll buy the Langer . Just shoot me a DM and I got ya !

That dude should have never be given a GZ to demo...how can u make a amp that good sound so bad, oh I know divine tetrahydrocannabinol :)

Listening to my recent 5153 clips now again, I’m still saying just grab one of them for the $750 they go for.. quiet, no boost needed, easiest to record.. I get why so many bands are using them now
Meh.

5153s are cool and all, good deals for the $$ but with what Ted has in his amp room, he'd play it once and box it up, laughing all the way to the return.....30 days......see ya.
He's gonna need better suggestions than 'cheap and good and a bunch of guys use them'.

You know how good the top amps are..and how much better they are than a 5153, DSL....after all, you have a Cameron, 2C+.....He's got 2 Langners, multiple C+, vintage Marshalls, Cameron, etc..
5153s ain't gonna cut it.

Meh.

5153s are cool and all, good deals for the $$ but with what Ted has in his amp room, he'd play it once and box it up, laughing all the way to the return.....30 days......see ya.
He's gonna need better suggestions than 'cheap and good and a bunch of guys use them'.

You know how good the top amps are..and how much better they are than a 5153, DSL....after all, you have a Cameron, 2C+.....He's got 2 Langners, multiple C+, vintage Marshalls, Cameron, etc..
5153s ain't gonna cut it.

i dont think my top amps are that much better than my dsl and 5153, we argue about this all the time. im playing the 5153 right now as i type this and with 81's its flawless metal tone on both channels with zero noise, so little in fact i thought my gate was on and its not. i was kinda "meh" on the thing at first, im sure now though that was just a mental thing not wanting to think a cheaper run of the mill amp could hang with my big boy amps, but for metal it most certainly does. it records easier than any amp i have as well. for the money, its worth it to give it a shot

i dont think my top amps are that much better than my dsl and 5153, we argue about this all the time. im playing the 5153 right now as i type this and with 81's its flawless metal tone on both channels with zero noise, so little in fact i thought my gate was on and its not. i was kinda "meh" on the thing at first, im sure now though that was just a mental thing not wanting to think a cheaper run of the mill amp could hang with my big boy amps, but for metal it most certainly does. it records easier than any amp i have as well. for the money, its worth it to give it a shot
I get it....5153s ARE good amps, good values......we all measure the differences differently. I feel there's a bigger difference than you do. In the end, not many amps we talk about have a bad tone in them, at all.

Just knowing what Ted has, I think he's looking for some top shelf shit that is perfect out of the box.
Which is hard to find.

Back