Next tier modern high gain amp recommendations

how would you rate a KSR amp versus the Triple Rectifier?
I’d still prefer a Recto, especially if it’s an earlier revision, but it’s imo at least better than Revv (similar ballpark of sounding very modern, somewhat synthetic or cardboard-y). I’d probably take the KSR’s though also to most Engl’s besides the Inferno, SE EL34 or Artist Edition. Most Engl’s would be tighter though

how would you rate a KSR amp versus the Triple Rectifier?
I am really digging my KSR Colossus as a modern, multi-channel amp. Always like to have one in the stable.

It has a great clean channel, a very awesome and unique sounding crunch channel. For its two lead/high gain channels, lead 1 reminds me of a smoother, tighter SLO vibe while lead 2 reminds me of a tighter, smoother Recto vibe.

Compared to a triple rec, the KSR does have more of the polished, modern vibe going on that @braintheory was alluding to. It is not going to be as punchy, raw or hairy up top as a triple and that includes the multi-watt.

Engl Founder's Edition?
Nah, it's a minimally, slightly tweaked SE.

I'm with Braintheory on the Inferno, but not on the SE, that is...if you want a decent kerrang-y crunch channel.

Look, my Invader 100 is a tad too smooth on CH2 for pure classic Marshall goodness, but it's freakin' versatile and the Lo/Hi Gain boost you can enable with the footswitch or MIDI has a great interval. Basically switching from 'Bad Company' to 'Bon Jovi' on the same channel...
With the SE, the Crunch channel I found a bit lacklustre and especially the Lo/Hi Gain interval is chosen wrongly; i.e. too extreme.

in one of Guitarjon's videos you can hear it too; the SE's jump makes you either set the channel a bit limp, so that with the Hi Gain boost it's a useable sound...or, if you set the Lo gain tone channel correctly, the Hi gain will push it over the top.

Basically the Invader is more of a true 8-sounds (4-channel) amp than the SE.
Sure, CH4 of the Invader is too smooth and saturated for most uses, but the interval makes for instance CH3 (where the more classic Engl tight tone lies) jump well from rhythm to lead, without rhythm sounding too wimpy.
Clean-channel, both amps have an awesome clean tone. The good thing about the SE is that you can really use Lead I and Lead II as an extension of eachother, with mostly the same core tone, where one will be bolder.
One problem; you have to run the Channel volumes pretty low (and Master high) to not overload your effect pedals in the loop. It will make them murky/darker sounding with the Channel volume high. And I'm used to running Channel volumes around 1 or 2 'o clock with my Savage and Invader.

Now, that being said, don't rule out the Engl Savage, if you were considering an Engl anyway.
I've played the Revv Generator and man, that thing sounding 'meh' AF. With all the bells and whistles, heck nah. It wouldn't 'grind' or 'kerrang'.
Good test: try to play Anthrax's "Madhouse" opening riff on a Revv and then on an Engl Savage or the Diezel Herbert... Catch my drift?

Nah, it's a minimally, slightly tweaked SE.

I'm with Braintheory on the Inferno, but not on the SE, that is...if you want a decent kerrang-y crunch channel.

Look, my Invader 100 is a tad too smooth on CH2 for pure classic Marshall goodness, but it's freakin' versatile and the Lo/Hi Gain boost you can enable with the footswitch or MIDI has a great interval. Basically switching from 'Bad Company' to 'Bon Jovi' on the same channel...
With the SE, the Crunch channel I found a bit lacklustre and especially the Lo/Hi Gain interval is chosen wrongly; i.e. too extreme.

in one of Guitarjon's videos you can hear it too; the SE's jump makes you either set the channel a bit limp, so that with the Hi Gain boost it's a useable sound...or, if you set the Lo gain tone channel correctly, the Hi gain will push it over the top.

Basically the Invader is more of a true 8-sounds (4-channel) amp than the SE.
Sure, CH4 of the Invader is too smooth and saturated for most uses, but the interval makes for instance CH3 (where the more classic Engl tight tone lies) jump well from rhythm to lead, without rhythm sounding too wimpy.
Clean-channel, both amps have an awesome clean tone. The good thing about the SE is that you can really use Lead I and Lead II as an extension of eachother, with mostly the same core tone, where one will be bolder.
One problem; you have to run the Channel volumes pretty low (and Master high) to not overload your effect pedals in the loop. It will make them murky/darker sounding with the Channel volume high. And I'm used to running Channel volumes around 1 or 2 'o clock with my Savage and Invader.

Now, that being said, don't rule out the Engl Savage, if you were considering an Engl anyway.
I've played the Revv Generator and man, that thing sounding 'meh' AF. With all the bells and whistles, heck nah. It wouldn't 'grind' or 'kerrang'.
Good test: try to play Anthrax's "Madhouse" opening riff on a Revv and then on an Engl Savage or the Diezel Herbert... Catch my drift?
I agree you with you on all, it’s just that if we really compare these to amps that are in the excellent category for clean and crunch (none of which are capable of high gain) they’re all pretty lackluster, so I don’t care that the Invader is better for crunch (which I do agree with). I only like amps for where they really excel and with Engl’s it’s the higher gain stuff, but even with that I still prefer ultimately other amps I’ve had (still have) to all the Engl’s in the line-up, but the Inferno and SE EL34 were my 2 favorites and the Inferno is a a good amp for the price (even better I’m guessing in Europe)

I am really digging my KSR Colossus as a modern, multi-channel amp. Always like to have one in the stable.

It has a great clean channel, a very awesome and unique sounding crunch channel. For its two lead/high gain channels, lead 1 reminds me of a smoother, tighter SLO vibe while lead 2 reminds me of a tighter, smoother Recto vibe.

Compared to a triple rec, the KSR does have more of the polished, modern vibe going on that @braintheory was alluding to. It is not going to be as punchy, raw or hairy up top as a triple and that includes the multi-watt.
I need to try some KSR amps. I like their overdrive pedal. Probably think get a triple rec, and KSR Ceres preamp pedal and Diezel Herbert pedal and be done with it. Used Mesa amps are great buy these days. I figure can find a decent used Triple Recto for 1k less than new.
Recto all day long.
yea think I am leaning that way as it has the modern metal tone that I am looking for and I have boost od pedals to tighten up the low end. I also like the ENGL amps a lot. Diezel would be 2k more and I do not really hear or see anything better about the Diezel over the Mesa Rectifier amps other than MIDI switching.

yea think I am leaning that way as it has the modern metal tone that I am looking for and I have boost od pedals to tighten up the low end. I also like the ENGL amps a lot. Diezel would be 2k more and I do not really hear or see anything better about the Diezel over the Mesa Rectifier amps other than MIDI switching.
just make sure you get a multi watt or rev g 2 channel or earlier and you’re set. The non multi 3 channel doesn’t hang with the rest of the lineup.

just make sure you get a multi watt or rev g 2 channel or earlier and you’re set. The non multi 3 channel doesn’t hang with the rest of the lineup.
will do yeah see one for sale with mesa 412 cab and road case for 3k nearby. would save me 2k over new. Diezel way too expensive. So it comes down to the Mesa Triple Recto and Engl Savage or Smolski or another high gain ENGL. I get amazing metal tones on my Engl Ironball lunchbox amp no boost pedal needed.

The MT through my cabs isn't 'clinical' tight. Just like a boosted Recto, with a different low end which is supposed to be more Uberschall-like.
To my ears the MT-100 has that "just right" amount of tightness to the low end. It's plenty tight without giving up weight and thickness but it avoids sounding overly clinical clanky or churpy on palm mutes.

I agree you with you on all, it’s just that if we really compare these to amps that are in the excellent category for clean and crunch (none of which are capable of high gain) they’re all pretty lackluster, so I don’t care that the Invader is better for crunch (which I do agree with). I only like amps for where they really excel and with Engl’s it’s the higher gain stuff, but even with that I still prefer ultimately other amps I’ve had (still have) to all the Engl’s in the line-up, but the Inferno and SE EL34 were my 2 favorites and the Inferno is a a good amp for the price (even better I’m guessing in Europe)
Very pleased with my Engl Artist Edition 100 for crunch and even '80s thrash; it can do more high gain but I haven't tried it since it's not what I wanted it for.

It killed my GAS for a JCM 800, so far.

will do yeah see one for sale with mesa 412 cab and road case for 3k nearby. would save me 2k over new. Diezel way too expensive. So it comes down to the Mesa Triple Recto and Engl Savage or Smolski or another high gain ENGL. I get amazing metal tones on my Engl Ironball lunchbox amp no boost pedal needed.
Yeah, everyone has their own opinions but I just think rectos own Engls. There are variations amp to amp, but all ENGLs sound like Engls to me. Rectos just sound more organic and boosted they sit in mixes perfect. The way rectos are scooped specifically sit super well with other instruments. And they sound huge. Probably my favorite amp honestly, and I’ve owned about everything under the sun lol.

Back