Captor X 8ohm - Can you isolate one virtual mic to each XLR out channel into interface? Should a 50watt amp be clipping when at 3 into high on captor?

• Thread starter Thread starter plastisol
  • Start date Start date
P
plastisol
I have a brand new Captor X 8 ohm.

Q1: Instead of it always being a stereo mix, Can you isolate one virtual mic to each captor XLR out into my interface?
Help bot keeps telling me it's in the settings on the Captor Remote app and I just do not see it anywhere. I design software interfaces myself, for like 20 years... I'm totally stumped. On my UA OX Box it's done just by panning the mics hard left or right which was super intuitive.

I'm not interested in any of the effects or extras on the captor really, just the virtual cab and mics, I will ultimately send it into outboard pres for a little real mojo ( but not doing this now, it's just straight into 2 of the line inputs of my UA x8p)

Q2: Should a 50watt amp be clipping the Captor Input when only at 3 into high input setting on Captor?
Seems odd to me.... or maybe it's normal? You tell me.
When captor input is set at low is it just me or does the amp seem duller than when out of my recto 4xV3012 cab?
Is this where you tell me I need to mess with the voicing dial and yes it only won't clip at low?
My OX Box is great for recording, but as a live attenuator it sucks the tone! Was hoping this Captor was at least just as good at tone for recording.

My Rig into captor X
Mesa Studio Pre + Fifty Fifty power amp - Settings to be used as pedal platform so I have a lot of headroom.
Settings for Studio Pre
using rhythm channel and only channel A
volume at 3, master volume dimed, output dimed
Settings for Fifty / Fifty
volume at 3, presence 0 (I don't usually need to use the presence for the tone I dig)

--

I bought this for the bass cabs and tracking bass but i decided I might as well use it for my dry rig when tracking guitar. Haven't even tried it for bass yet, just started testing this way.

Good morning @plastisol

I hope all is well. Ross from Two notes here. In Captor X there is no way to split the mics between the Left and the Right outputs - instead the Stereo processing / Dual XLRs are reserved for the Reverb and Twin Tracker Only - as well as a Dual Mono mode which can be configured to track a wet and dry signal simultaneously

Regarding your amp, configuring Captor X on the "Low" setting to avoid clipping is completely normal - however you may also want to check Torpedo Remote for clipping at the output of the DSP - just to make sure this is not the DSP that is clipping as opposed to the input of the amp.

Please let me know if this answers your questions and if there is anything else you need, I am here to help!

So in regular stereo mode with with no reverb or twin tracking the signal is the exact same on both XLR?
In dual mono you can adjust volume of either side but aside from being able to bypass the cab for amp direct sound, the content / mic mix of the signal is the exact same ?

Hi @plastisol

Thanks for getting back to me. Please see answers to your questions below...

So in regular stereo mode with with no reverb or twin tracking the signal is the exact same on both XLR?
That is indeed correct

In dual mono you can adjust volume of either side but aside from being able to bypass the cab for amp direct sound, the content / mic mix of the signal is the exact same ?
Not exactly, In Dual Mono Mode you can also bring up an additional EQ for the Right Output plus a secondary Reverb Dry / Wet for this output as well - please see the link below for the relevant section of our user guide relating to this.

> https://wiki.two-notes.com/doku.php...torpedo_captor_x_user_s_manual#output_routing

If you need any more information here, please do not hesitate to let me know, I am always happy to help!

Back