st.Rock REACT:IR II (new version of the reactive loadbox)

• Thread starter Thread starter mcstinger
  • Start date Start date
I can confirm the React IR II kicks ass. Don’t hesitate to get one. I’m hearing a more balanced, full bandwidth frequency spectrum from the amps I have that I wasn’t hearing with the Suhr RL.

Original Suhr Reactive Load came out in like, what, end of 2014, beginning of 2015? I would agree it kinda set the standard for what people follow in terms of "first to market". I honestly can't think of a single reactive load box that was available before John made his, but feel free to chime in if there was a reactive one widely available before his.

That said, also wouldn't be surprised if it was simply his own implementation based off of Aiken's original papers he released back in like 2012ish or whenever that was.

I can confirm the React IR II kicks ass. Don’t hesitate to get one. I’m hearing a more balanced, full bandwidth frequency spectrum from the amps I have that I wasn’t hearing with the Suhr RL.
Better than the original?

That said, also wouldn't be surprised if it was simply his own implementation based off of Aiken's original papers he released back in like 2012ish or whenever that was.
That’s the rumor.

V2 has a MODE button in the front which bumps the high-end closer to what the Suhr RL is with its slightly hyped highs.

The V2 React:IR with the MODE pushed IN, has a frequency response that follows a Mesa 4x12 OS Straight cab pretty closely.

Another thing in the V1 that people may or may not know about but st.Rock have confirmed is that the amount of high-end the load puts out depends on how much the INPUT knob is cranked.
Fully clock-wise, it does not shave off highs but if you have the INPUT knob at noon, say, the highend you get from the amp is shaved off.
This is a condition st.Rock acknowledged on some of their older V1 units (not sure which lots etc).
Problem is, if you're using the V1 units and have a louder amp which sounds good turned up but you also run the INPUT knob cranked on the React:IR, you'll clip the loadbox. This condition's no longer present in the React:IR II.

More on this here: https://thegearforum.com/threads/st...ts-graphs-with-suhr-rl-mesa-4x12-os-cab.4652/

The React:IR II is a great piece of gear.
Crazy good loadbox, FX loop, built-in effects, attenuator and management app that works via bluetooth & USB.

The V2 React:IR with the MODE pushed IN, has a frequency response that follows a Mesa 4x12 OS Straight cab pretty closely.
Is this based on what they said or your own test results?

I happened to discover that a new version of REACT:IR II is on the market. It is probably a fresh product. The manual on the website still refers to the first version.
What pleased me was that the headphone output is a 1/4" jack. What did not please me was that it's no longer a rack device. A matter of taste, of course. I personally hate boxes of all kinds, which cannot be stacked on top of each other in a normal way and from which cables stick out in all directions. I also don't understand why the thru output and the attenuator output are not combined into one jack, i.e. switchable with a front panel switch. It's not exactly my hobby to shuffle the cables on the back of devices.

https://st-rock.com/reactirii/

For now, it's in sufficient quantity in the web shop. https://st-rock.com/shop/reactirii/

View attachment 317811

View attachment 317808
Thanks for posting about this. I was interested in this after seeing Euge Valovirta demonstrate IRs using the earlier version of the St. Rock. Sounds great to me:

Original Suhr Reactive Load came out in like, what, end of 2014, beginning of 2015? I would agree it kinda set the standard for what people follow in terms of "first to market". I honestly can't think of a single reactive load box that was available before John made his, but feel free to chime in if there was a reactive one widely available before his.

The Harry Kolbe Silent Speaker was released in the early 90's.

249371_xl.jpg

The Harry Kolbe Silent Speaker was released in the early 90's.
Forgot all about that guy. Is he still around? Last I heard way back during the HC forums was when he scammed a handful of people or something.

Forgot all about that guy. Is he still around? Last I heard way back during the HC forums was when he scammed a handful of people or something.
I'm not sure if Harry is still with us but I think that Soundsmith was still open before the lockdowns.

I’m sure this would be an improvement over my Two Notes Torpedo Live. But I wish this could handle longer than 170ms so that I could try mixing in some larger room mic captures. Otherwise, some nice features here.

I’m sure this would be an improvement over my Two Notes Torpedo Live. But I wish this could handle longer than 170ms so that I could try mixing in some larger room mic captures. Otherwise, some nice features here.
You can take the DI output into your audio interface, then load up whatever length IR you need in your DAW. I’m doing this currently.

You can take the DI output into your audio interface, then load up whatever length IR you need in your DAW. I’m doing this currently.
Sure, I can do that now. But I meant “mixing in” referring to the multiple IR support that’s in the unit.

Back