Over the mountain 82'.

• Thread starter Thread starter shar-vell Dan
  • Start date Start date
I was at this show. They leveled the place.

Thanks for posting this! I'm really enjoying listening to it. Ozzy's a bit rough, but Randy's killing it. I'm guessing it's not a proper "board" recording, because I seem to hear that distinctive sound of drums (in particular) coming through a PA, which is a sound I've always loved at live shows. Great stuff.

Every time I hear or read negative comments about Rhoads tone all I can think is "Tell me you weren't there at that time without telling me you weren't there at that time". The same thing when I read about guys who like Jake or Zakk better, it's like tell me you were born in 1970 or later and didn't have a cool older brother or cousin or guitar teacher without telling me...

Every time I hear or read negative comments about Rhoads tone all I can think is "Tell me you weren't there at that time without telling me you weren't there at that time". The same thing when I read about guys who like Jake or Zakk better, it's like tell me you were born in 1970 or later and didn't have a cool older brother or cousin or guitar teacher without telling me...
Randy fucking Rhoads. Period. The first two Blizzard albums melted peoples brains and are still a benchmark today.

well we can't choose when we were born... I was born in 71 and Randy is my favourite guitarist but I think The Ultimate Sin is Ozzy's best record because that was the first one released that was "new" for me once I got into Ozzy so I really connected with it ..... and Jake absolutely SLAYED on it

Last edited:
Tommy did a bare hand drum solo when I saw Ozzy in 1984 on the BATM tour. Unreal. Such a great drummer.

Yep!

25 April 1984

TORONTO ON CANADA​

Maple Leaf Gardens

Ratt opened that night.

Yep!

25 April 1984

TORONTO ON CANADA​

Maple Leaf Gardens

Ratt opened that night.
Awesome.

Yup Ratt opened for Ozzy at the show I was at as well. One of my favorite shows ever......could not hear out of my stage facing ear for 3 days..lol..

I was born in 76 .. but I will tell you that Randy is more iconic but I love Jake just as much. He was a monster riff writer too and very unique. Zakk was a great rock player with chops and a great look but not as special as the other two. Still gold though. I listen to Jake on the solo here and it's ferocious. His tone just wasn't that great live. I also love that Jake had his own sort of cool going on up there.

BOOOOOO!!!!

Get this fucking shit out of here, we're still all mad about the shit stunt the Rhoads family just pulled!!!

Tommy did a bare hand drum solo when I saw Ozzy in 1984 on the BATM tour. Unreal. Such a great drummer.
He did the same thing 10 yrs ago when I saw him with Whitesnake...dude was 65 at the time...incredible.

Just monstrous. Everything about Randy at the time. Especially his live tone. It was just the hugest thing.

If you were old enough to experience Eddie when he launched, then Randy 3 years later and then Yngwie 2 years later as they burst onto the scene in order, it was incredible.
His tone on Tribute is great. Anyone who doesn't like it, doesn't like a good boosted/loud Marshall. And that's ok, we all have our preferences.

Man there’s denying RR was a monster in the studio but he was something f special live for sure. I’ve only seen vid but damn, especially given how long ago that was, dude was just always on fire.

Awesome.

Yup Ratt opened for Ozzy at the show I was at as well. One of my favorite shows ever......could not hear out of my stage facing ear for 3 days..lol..
Yep, I can attest to this too.
I was on Jake’s side, 11 rows back on the floor and it felt like the sheer volume was interfering with my heart beat. So painfully loud.
One of the loudest shows I’ve ever experienced.

Yep killer live tone. Not like Tribute either. I was right down front in front of Randy. Gen admission ftw!
Also saw BATM right down front and Ultimate Sin same venue. Both them played LOUD. Like really LOUD.
The hand drumming is one of Aldrich’s things. He did it on this Diary tour.
IMG_0231.jpeg

I saw Tommy’s first gig with the Pat Travers Band way back in Jan. 1978.
I lived in Florida at that time and saw Travers a bunch of times with Tommy. Prior to that we'd listen to old Black Oak Arkansas just for the bare handed drum solo. He's been doing that since the beginning. Big fan of TA.

I was also a huge Randy fan. Even more so than EVH. I loved the classical influence. I wish they could have captured that huge live tone on the studio recordings. Those records were so rushed and Randy was still sort of sculpting his 'Ozzy tone' at the very beginning.

Way back kid days my cousin that lived in Van Nuys started taking guitar lessons. The Summer before I started playing guitar my folks sent me from Hawaii to spend it with them and my Aunt would interrupt us to take him to his lesson at a little shop up the street from where they lived called Musonia, owned by a lady named Delores, and the teacher was her kid Randy. I paid no attention to it at all. Years later my Aunt casually mentions “hey you remember when Jimmy was taking guitar lessons when you stayed with us? His teacher is playing with that guy Ozzy Osbourne now!” Full holy fuck moment.....you never know. Oh and my cousin never picked up a guitar again after that Summer haha

Back