Over the mountain 82'.

• Thread starter Thread starter shar-vell Dan
  • Start date Start date
I lived in Florida at that time and saw Travers a bunch of times with Tommy. Prior to that we'd listen to old Black Oak Arkansas just for the bare handed drum solo. He's been doing that since the beginning. Big fan of TA.

I was also a huge Randy fan. Even more so than EVH. I loved the classical influence. I wish they could have captured that huge live tone on the studio recordings. Those records were so rushed and Randy was still sort of sculpting his 'Ozzy tone' at the very beginning.
Ditto on everything 100%.

Not for nothing.... but everyone talks about what this guy did... that guy... Nobody was doing what Randy did back then composition wise. Nobody.
giphy.gif

On another forum they're bashing Randys 50 yr old tone but yet for 4 pages they're all Koo Koo over the polka dot MXR pedal that Randy never owned.
Randy had all the cutting edge guitars & gear for the time period. Nobody was bitchin back then.
Randy was one of Charvels biggest customer basically.
I can remember when there were only {5} FX pedals total on the planet for guitar. Try making a living with that.

Last edited:
On another forum they're bashing Randys 50 yr old tone but yet for 4 pages they're all Koo Koo over the polka dot MXR pedal that Randy never owned.
Randy had all the cutting edge guitars & gear for the time period. Nobody was bitchin back then.
Randy was one of Charvels biggest customer basically.
I can remember when there were only {5} FX pedals total on the planet for guitar. Try making a living with that.
Funny thing is, When I was maybe 15-17 I saved up and got myself a vintage JMC800 and a legit script logo MXR... Tone was actually pretty dang close... Chops, yea... Randy was MAGIC considering what he had going on.

If you listen to his sound check footage, in person his tone was HUGE.

Back