Iron Maiden: Powerslave - 1984

• Thread starter Thread starter Janky
  • Start date Start date
Those later album are ok but are pretty pathetic once you hear Killers or the self titled. When fear of the dark came out I never listened to another Maiden album again.
Fear of the Dark was my first Maiden show/tour.
Never to this day have heard the actual album.

I actually have never heard an album after Seventh Son.

Fear of the Dark was my first Maiden show/tour.
Never to this day have heard the actual album.

I actually have never heard an album after Seventh Son.
My old man bought me and my bro a Hendrix album around the same time I was getting into Maiden and it was guitar purchase decision time. Do I go for that Jackson V, the Ibanez with the oh-shit handle, or do I get teh strat like Jimi? Once I found out most of maiden's rhythms were root-5th power chords I lost interest in metal save for maybe some Pantera and Megadeth. I still like Di'Anno era Maiden though. Early maiden, pre-Friedman megadeth, Pantera, and Chuck Schuldiner's Death are easily my favorite groups in the genre.

I’m surprised no one mentioned “No Prayer for the Dying”. To me, it has the raw energy of early Maiden, and Dickinson’s killer vocals.

Then again, a lot of stuff I like is generally not liked on the forums.

Listen to songs like Public Enema No. 1, Hooks in You, Bring Your Daughter to the Slaughter and the title track if you don’t have time.

Live after Death was the first album of theirs I bought, and 75% of that was probably due to the artwork. Probably 1986 or so. Then I worked backwards from there. Powerslave is great, but probably not even in my top 3 of the Bruca-era albums.

My favorite album of theirs is probably Killers as well. There's something really raw and hungry with those first two albums, and Paul was the right voice for those. I love the Bruce era stuff too, although some albums are better than others. Saw them in 1987, 2007, and hopefully a few weeks from now. Undoubtedly my favorite band as a teen and young adult.

Last edited:
I’m surprised no one mentioned “No Prayer for the Dying”. To me, it has the raw energy of early Maiden, and Dickinson’s killer vocals.

Listen to songs like Public Enema No. 1, Hooks in You, Bring Your Daughter to the Slaughter and the title track if you don’t have time.

No Adrian, no party...

This tour was my first time being able to see Maiden, and I certainly wasn’t excited to go because of this album 🙂
I haven’t listened to it probably since the early 90s and listening to it again just now, ouch. I don’t know who wrote the lyrics on this one but it’s just kind of a mess. I kinda like the way it sounds sonically, but the music and lyrics is just not making it.

The gay quotient went sky high with Janice Gers on third guitar, FUCK that guitar twirling turd.

So close for me. Never a big fan of 'The Duelists' or the instrumental 'Losfer Words'. However, this cover song from the Powerslave sessions kicks all kinds of ass. Image how heavy it'd be with a crushing guitar sound?

I like both of em.

That cover kicks ass too.

It's amazing how everyone on RT jacks off to garbage throwaway no effort Van Halen b-sides and then becomes Jon Chedsey or Michael Erlewine when it comes to priest or maiden.

"NAH THEY SOLD OUT ON THIS ONE BRO" 😂

You 80's brats had it easy. I suffered not once but twice through Maiden live with Blaze. No H either. Fuckin hard times.
Finally Bruce returned with Adrian and saved them. Another rinky dink album with Blaze and they would have folded

You 80's brats had it easy. I suffered not once but twice through Maiden live with Blaze. No H either. Fuckin hard times.
Finally Bruce returned with Adrian and saved them. Another rinky dink album with Blaze and they would have folded

They think Seventh Son is bad LMFAO

I guarantee, if they heard X factor, they would have an entirely new opinion on 7th son

Kind of how in hindsight the Star Wars prequels look like fucking Coppola compared to the Sequels

Still got Live After Death somewhere on the original VHS tape, and vinyl. 🤘
The double album's B side of record 2 had some of the best 5 songs and they were NOT featured on the original CD release.
Die With Your Boots On, Phantom of The Opera, Wrathchild, Children of the Damned and 22 Acacia Avenue.

Gave my original CD to my wife and bought the *shudder* 'Enhanced' CD version, which does include those 5 songs, but at the cost of a crappy mastering! o_O

Steve Harris does 3 things well:
-playing bass guitar
-looking like a British medieval knight face-wise (if he was an extra in Monty Python's Holy Grail, no one'd bat an eye. ):p
-write songs

But for Gawd's sake, keep that man AWAY from a mixing desk. :eek:

Overall Powerslave is really solid and an awesome Martin Birch mix, maybe a tad middy and bass-shy, but not as honky/nasal as anything done when Mr. Harris is behind the knobs.
Song-wise, I slightly prefer Piece of Mind...maybe...maybe a shared 1st place. But I don't really care for The Duelists either.

They think Seventh Son is bad LMFAO
That was the Maiden album I heard first. It could def be said it's bad compared to the older catalog but at least it was forward in terms of the song writing IMO. It seems like everything thereafter was just them mostly rehashing song ideas and similar themes from older, more classic material.

That was the Maiden album I heard first. It could def be said it's bad compared to the older catalog but at least it was forward in terms of the song writing IMO. It seems like everything thereafter was just them mostly rehashing song ideas and similar themes from older, more classic material.

There were good songs on No Prayer for the Dying and Fear of the Dark - and even as recent as brave new world.

There's just a mountain of filler to sift through. Especially since steve harris started producing the albums.

image.jpg

Man, screw the cover, this album is IMMORTAL, man

There's no filler on it

idk man. It's my second favorite Maiden album (after 7th Son), but I find Flash of The Blade and Back In The Village to be noticeable lows compared to the rest of the album.

IMO, of course.

No Adrian, no party...
looking back, you see this album, and you see the Blaze-era Maiden and Steve Harris' side project 10 years ago, and you compare that with the collab between Adrian and Bruce... you just can't help but think "maybe H was right" :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Forgot about Holy Smoke on that album. Another good song.

The guitar solos are actually quite masterful on NOPFTD. This was my gateway album to Maiden, so I’ll always think of it fondly.

Also, the first use of double bass by Maiden, I think.

Last edited:

Back