A certain someone supposedly has a new shop in Cali and looks to be building amps again.....

• Thread starter Thread starter harddriver
  • Start date Start date
For the love of god... the schematics for all these mods are readily available. Just print 'em out, bring 'em to any amp tech who knows what they're doing and they can build it for you in a week. Enough of this crap. There's nothing magical inside any of these amps that can't be recreated by a decent tech. These circuits are like 40 years old at this point.

JCM800 with dual gains, a pre-tone stack master volume with some clipping diodes, and 4700pF bright cap. Freakin' easy.
Bias the first two stages with 2k7/.68uF, third stage with 820R/.68uF, 0.022 and 0.0022 couplers, and the rest of the amp is literally any Marshall values. Typical Marshall TMB tone stack, PI, Presence circuit, etc. Depth can be done many different ways, but come on... once you get to this point it's just trial/error and personal preference with how you want to voice little things like the PI grid leaks and power tube grid stoppers. Maybe throw a 68k from gain wiper to ground before second stage 68k input. NFB to taste. Done.

Oh wait... it's basically a Chupacabra, Yeti, Molecular, Gargoyle, Meshuggah, Atomica, whatever.
Here's the problem, though. Yes the schematics have been out forever..just like the Jose mods have been out forever...yet, no clone, or other build I've played really hits the tone of the original. The closest has been Nick K's version of a particularly vicious Aldrich.
What people forget is, Cameron builds it, plays it, then tweaks it...plays it, then tweaks some more. So, no two Cam mods are the same. This is why no one actually EVER gets it right (other than Nick K) in the modded amps I've played.
Are the differences huge? No. But, it's the small differences to some, that equal BIG differences to others. I've had a Monomyth(great amp), played a Ground Zero(cool amp but a little too modern for me), and owned many others from most of the big names and they were all great in their own way...but if you want a Cameron you'll have to pony up the cash to grab a used one.

And, as I've always said, it's sad that the 14 scammed haven't been made whole.

Here's the problem, though. Yes the schematics have been out forever..just like the Jose mods have been out forever...yet, no clone, or other build I've played really hits the tone of the original. The closest has been Nick K's version of a particularly vicious Aldrich.
What people forget is, Cameron builds it, plays it, then tweaks it...plays it, then tweaks some more. So, no two Cam mods are the same. This is why no one actually EVER gets it right (other than Nick K) in the modded amps I've played.
Are the differences huge? No. But, it's the small differences to some, that equal BIG differences to others. I've had a Monomyth(great amp), played a Ground Zero(cool amp but a little too modern for me), and owned many others from most of the big names and they were all great in their own way...but if you want a Cameron you'll have to pony up the cash to grab a used one.

And, as I've always said, it's sad that the 14 scammed haven't been made whole.
+1 Cameron is the ultimate tweaker

I think the modded Marshalls that Ground Zero has built before the MOAB models were very close sounding to a Cameron HG Jose. Ground Zero has his own take on the basic 3 gain stage HG Jose and added the 4th gain stage. The MOAB still sounds similar but I always liked his personal modded Marshall JCM800 the most which his amps are probably based off of. I think he took the clips down of his own modded Marshall...I'll have a look...those clips of that amp sounded amazing.

I don't know if this is his personal amp but it looked just like this one but I think it was a 100 watter. This Detonator sounds great to my ears very Cameron like IMHO.

his stuff sounds great, i just have way too many amps as it is or i would have grabbed one, the rectos he does is the first amp that has given me gas in a long while

Waiting for psychodave to chime in and defend how great of a guy MC is and he’s never had a problem receiving his amps from him so shame on the rest of you

Waiting for psychodave to chime in and defend how great of a guy MC is and he’s never had a problem receiving his amps from him so shame on the rest of you
Cameron’s only defender is also Rock’n’Chippy’s only defender. What a great judge of character lol

I think the modded Marshalls that Ground Zero has built before the MOAB models were very close sounding to a Cameron HG Jose. Ground Zero has his own take on the basic 3 gain stage HG Jose and added the 4th gain stage. The MOAB still sounds similar but I always liked his personal modded Marshall JCM800 the most which his amps are probably based off of. I think he took the clips down of his own modded Marshall...I'll have a look...those clips of that amp sounded amazing.

I don't know if this is his personal amp but it looked just like this one but I think it was a 100 watter. This Detonator sounds great to my ears very Cameron like IMHO.

Screenshot_20240901-123439.png

I own that amp now....it rocks.

This video was from 10 months ago.....Supposedly a new 50 watt Cameron Modern prototype sold to someone in Europe.

I posted this wayy back and it is old as the rest of this thread. See when it was posted?!!!

Last edited:
I’ve built a Plexi clone from scratch in a weekend if that means anything
so if he could conservatively build 2 amps a week for 1 year,
and sold each amp for $4k,

he could gross $416k annually.
after parts costs ($800 per amp x 104= $83200)=
$332800 net profit, or $6400/week

if he made good on the 15 amps owed,
deduct $60000 from the net-

$272800 profit in year 1. if he hired a tech to assist at $70k/yr he still clears $200k yr 1.

roughly…?

so if he could conservatively build 2 amps a week for 1 year,
and sold each amp for $4k,

he could gross $416k annually.
after parts costs ($800 per amp x 104= $83200)=
$332800 net profit, or $6400/week

if he made good on the 15 amps owed,
deduct $60000 from the net-

$272800 profit in year 1. if he hired a tech to assist at $70k/yr he still clears $200k yr 1.

roughly…?
Are COGS even that low? I'm thinking higher. Not sure if 104 amps a year is enough to benefit from economies of scale either.

nice. people buy the old organs, and gut them, put new computer, and mechanicals inside the old organ consoles.

Galanti-Organ-Full-Keys_WEB.gif

955 Rodgers 3-manual organ

DSC01930_WEB.jpg

this one still works, so it's more expensive:

console-1_WEB.jpg

Many run Hauptwerk pipe organ software (I have it), and run it sometimes with my Viscount Cantorum Trio digital pipe organ, though the built in sounds are very good, just limited vs Hauptwerk.

Viscount Cantorum Trio

View attachment 338550
What’s better than roses on your piano ?

Tulips on your organ.

Are COGS even that low? I'm thinking higher. Not sure if 104 amps a year is enough to benefit from economies of scale either.
pure spitballing on the numbers of amp, costs, prices…but if he stuck to a 3 year plan he could definitely make those folks waiting for amps whole and likely walk away in the green.

I couldnt build a head for $800 (not including headshell) myself, but if you order parts in bulk, maybe you can?

he could custom hand build from ceriatone molecular kits to get started until he had enough capital to begin buying in bulk and start lowering costs further.

https://ceriatone.com/molecular100/
Yeah, I see someone can get the kit for $850 unassembled, plus shipping the kit with two tranny's and still need all the tubes.
$800 budget buster!
May spend a little more sourcing their own transformers?

I looked into Ceriatone myself after my first build (5F2A), but ended up going Valvestorm.

I liked being able to upgrade my capacitors without extra site shopping and sourcing my own transformers.

Not that Nik doesn't have great service, I did order his klone.

Hey he’s not gonna call the cops considering his domicile is probably full of illicit substances. Just wear a mask with a good filter so you don’t catch a whiff of that second hand fentanyl.

Back