What are Fryette 4x12 front loaded cabinets like?

• Thread starter Thread starter harddriver
  • Start date Start date
I love front loaded cabs...
Its a totaly diffrent feel...the don't have the bass response of a rear loaded and they are not as sagy...
BUT they are tight, direct and clear, and its like removing a blanket of the amp...
I had an EVH rear loaded cab but it was way too sedate next to my front loaded 4X12 with G12H30 75hz...

Fryette V-BRACE technology
"A speaker cabinet control mechanism that facilitates control of speaker cabinet tonal quality. A bracing structure is applied to a baffle panel that changes the resonant frequency of the baffle panel thereby changing the overall tonal quality of the speaker cabinet. The bracing structure allows the conventional sound post and the problems associated therewith to be eliminated while retaining the vintage sound of the cabinet. Utilization of the bracing structure in combination with the design of the cabinet back panel further enhances control over the overall cabinet tonal quality. The bracing structure can be designed to be manually and automatically controllable with further enhancements."

https://www.google.com/patents/US200701 ... &q&f=false

So after reading all of the responses basically the Fryette Fatbottom cabs don't sound as deep as a Mesa or Marshall rear loaded cab but have a tighter response.

Let's say the Fryette has Celestion Vintage 30 how would that factor into the equation?

Let say the cabinet is most for metal music and if the prices were the same, and you had the choice of three cabinets, Mesa Boogie Standard cab Mesa V30's, Marshall cab V-30, Fryette FB cab V-30.

I love front loaded cabs...
Its a totaly diffrent feel...the don't have the bass response of a rear loaded and they are not as sagy...
BUT they are tight, direct and clear, and its like removing a blanket of the amp...
I had an EVH rear loaded cab but it was way too sedate next to my front loaded 4X12 with G12H30 75hz...
Agreed. This is why I usually enjoy front loaded cabs more

So after reading all of the responses basically the Fryette Fatbottom cabs don't sound as deep as a Mesa or Marshall rear loaded cab but have a tighter response.

Let's say the Fryette has Celestion Vintage 30 how would that factor into the equation?

Let say the cabinet is most for metal music and if the prices were the same, and you had the choice of three cabinets, Mesa Boogie Standard cab Mesa V30's, Marshall cab V-30, Fryette FB cab V-30.
Mine has V30’s and K100’s in it. All it means I think is you’re just not hearing it in a subpar way like with the stock P50’s where guys mistakenly discard it because of that

For metal it would be my pick of those 3, but I wouldn’t choose it for rock or more dynamic styles. Like other’s said it doesn’t have the woodiness or dynamics of those other cabs, but I find it tighter, punchier, more immediate response, more direct and to me feels better to play for metal and when you need things tight and fast. Those other cabs sound thicker, but I still wouldn’t by any stretch say my Fatbottom sounds thin or too shallow, imo the low end chunk is still pretty good, but if I want a fat sound I’d use my Ubercab or maybe get a Mesa cab

In my experience having owned 2 of them (one with p50e and the other fanes). I think they are great cabs but prefer a good rear loaded such as Bogner or Mesa. The FB is slightly tighter/punchier but also a little bit smaller sounding IMO. If a tight response is most important to you then yeah go for it. Like braintheory I also preferred the fatbottom over the Diezel front loaded 4x12. But would take the rear load Diezel over both.

In my experience having owned 2 of them (one with p50e and the other fanes). I think they are great cabs but prefer a good rear loaded such as Bogner or Mesa. The FB is slightly tighter/punchier but also a little bit smaller sounding IMO. If a tight response is most important to you then yeah go for it. Like braintheory I also preferred the fatbottom over the Diezel front loaded 4x12. But would take the rear load Diezel over both.
Yeah I think a lot of it comes down to personal preference in rear vs front loaded. I have a bunch of both since they have their own strengths and weakness, but feel more at home with front loaded cabs. I like the the immediacy and tightness. As far as FL cabs go I found it to be one the better ones I’ve tried

The Fryette Fat Bottom with Fane F70s is one of the best cabs I’ve ever owned. With p50es… one of the worst. lol

The FB/Fane can makes the FL Diezel sound dull and dark. I even put F70s in the Diezel cab and it still wasn’t close

It is also better than my FL Ubercab… but I need to remove the batting inside and swap out the T75s which should improve it.
I tried lots of different speaker swaps in my Ubercab from a whole quad of F90's to now all JBL's and it's overall sound somehow didn't change much. Maybe removing the batting could change that, not sure. Either way I really like still my Ubercab. It's the fattest/thickest sounding cab I've tried so far yet still tight, but darker than I prefer

I tried lots of different speaker swaps in my Ubercab from a whole quad of F90's to now all JBL's and it's overall sound somehow didn't change much. Maybe removing the batting could change that, not sure. Either way I really like still my Ubercab. It's the fattest/thickest sounding cab I've tried so far yet still tight, but darker than I prefer
Yeah… the fact that it’s darker is my issue. The batting sucks the high end out. I removed it from one of my old RL Ubercabs long ago and it was much improved. I haven’t done it with this new FL yet more because I’ve been lazy, but also the fact that I mostly play it in tandem with my Fryette FB cab and they blend together well. But if I A/B them, I always gravitate to the Fryette

Back